Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 12:00 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,504,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I bought my car over 3 years ago. Who knows how old the battery was when I bought it. Needless to say, it is still working fine so what you said is not true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spraynard Kruger View Post
Die Hard?

Old 10-13-2010, 01:30 PM

687 posts, read 4,405,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
and remember, if you buy a lifetime battery or a one year battery, it will die in 2 years....
Funny enough, your pretty close on that one. I used to buy the cheap wal mart batteries for 29 bucks, they would last about 2-3 years and I would go down and buy another cheapy.

No use buying expensive hi dollar batteries, they dont last anyways.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:25 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,121,360 times
I buy top of the line batteries..they last about two years but then the replacement is only about $12 cause its lifetime warranty

Old 10-13-2010, 04:28 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,890,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I bought my car over 3 years ago. Who knows how old the battery was when I bought it. Needless to say, it is still working fine so what you said is not true.
Well since you said you have no A/C this isn't surprising. If you have a car with A/C and use it like most people 4 months or so out of the year then most batteries last 2-3 years.

For those who aren't experienced in desert living and battery life, you'll get zero warning. One morning you'll just try to fire up the car and the battery will not budge and it won't take a charge. So yes you can try to get all the life out of it you want, but be prepared for it to happen at the most inconvenient time. Even more amazing you'll find your battery and A/C go out in the middle of winter, when you totally don't expect it.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:57 PM

654 posts, read 1,323,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger08 View Post
Funny enough, your pretty close on that one. I used to buy the cheap wal mart batteries for 29 bucks, they would last about 2-3 years and I would go down and buy another cheapy.

No use buying expensive hi dollar batteries, they dont last anyways.
While I agree the heat's gonna drain any battery over time, there is a reason to invest/spend a little more for a quality battery. Most will come with a lifetime warranty, depending on the company some may replace it for a while with no cost before pro-rating the value.

As an example, I've only bought batteries at Costco for some time now. During that time, I've had to replace two of them & it hasn't cost me a penny. If the battery fails in the first 36 months - which can certainly happen here - they replace it for free, no questions asked (at least in my experience). Beyond that, they pro-rate the value towards a replacement. Now that I live in this climate, you can bet I'm gonna be extra sure to buy my batteries there. One of the batteries they already replaced was almost certainly killed by the heat here & I couldn't have been happier I got it from them. Full refund, got a new battery to replace it.

Old 10-13-2010, 05:01 PM

1,365 posts, read 4,473,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delgadobb View Post
While I agree the heat's gonna drain any battery over time, there is a reason to invest/spend a little more for a quality battery. Most will come with a lifetime warranty, depending on the company some may replace it for a while with no cost before pro-rating the value.

As an example, I've only bought batteries at Costco for some time now. During that time, I've had to replace two of them & it hasn't cost me a penny. If the battery fails in the first 36 months - which can certainly happen here - they replace it for free, no questions asked (at least in my experience). Beyond that, they pro-rate the value towards a replacement. Now that I live in this climate, you can bet I'm gonna be extra sure to buy my batteries there. One of the batteries they already replaced was almost certainly killed by the heat here & I couldn't have been happier I got it from them. Full refund, got a new battery to replace it.
Same thing at Kmart. We have taken ours back once a year for the last couple of years. This year it was actually on sale for $10.00 cheaper then what we paid last year, I actually got back $10.00.

Old 10-13-2010, 05:28 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,250,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
I buy top of the line batteries..they last about two years but then the replacement is only about $12 cause its lifetime warranty
My car came with a Motorcraft 84 month/ 3year free replacement battery when I bought it. The battery definitely was not new either. As I said, it is still going strong. I find it odd that your batteries are only lasting two years when you buy the good ones, that is all.

Old 10-13-2010, 05:29 PM

366 posts, read 1,213,022 times
The real question is how will a vulva survive out here?!?

Old 10-13-2010, 05:31 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,250,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Well since you said you have no A/C this isn't surprising. If you have a car with A/C and use it like most people 4 months or so out of the year then most batteries last 2-3 years.

For those who aren't experienced in desert living and battery life, you'll get zero warning. One morning you'll just try to fire up the car and the battery will not budge and it won't take a charge. So yes you can try to get all the life out of it you want, but be prepared for it to happen at the most inconvenient time. Even more amazing you'll find your battery and A/C go out in the middle of winter, when you totally don't expect it.
AC doesn't make a difference at all on battery life. Once the car is running, everything is run off the alternator, not battery.

Old 10-13-2010, 05:35 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,362,678 times
I always by Sears batteries, and like Dyn says, two years you go in and have it checked and drive out with a new battery. But I think (but have no proof) that what kills batteries in hot climates is that they are now "maintenance free", which says you can't put water in it so in the hotter climate they're going to evaporate faster. Add to that the fact that A/C apparently puts a worse drain on batteries than does a cold climate.

Aside from that, people get the idea that this is like the Middle East here, where they are still living in stone age conditions. More preconceived notions.

However, I do know that there was a time, and maybe it is still a problem, that Jaguar didn't do well in the low (read 'hot) desert because of having small radiators ...or at least that was my friend's excuse for why his kept overheating all the time.

Most people here take a few precautions for the interiors, like tinting the windows, sheep skin seat covers, and adding dash board covers. Ours has a nice spirit bear on it over the air bag cut out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas