Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2011, 07:21 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times

Advertisements

i need some advice... i took my Prius for an oil change to Fletcher Toyota ... no problems... However, i made the fatal mistake of giving them my home and cell number.. They continually call with their marketing.... I've informed their marketing dept to stop and to take me off the list..(about 3 months ago).. i still get calls almost every day.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:33 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
If you have Century Link:

Free Videos Online - CenturyLink™

If you have Cox, I do not know. You have to call them and ask.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:39 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,244,573 times
Join the club. Most of the stealerships service departments in town employ the dubious practice of putting your phone number in their sales marketing database. Courtesy is a major offender as well.

I tell them on the spot that if they call me for any other reason than to let me know my car is ready, I will take my business somewhere else.

I found out that this intrusive, cold call marketing is actually legal (because you are a considered a viable customer who has done business with them)...so your next best bet is an air horn or a personal visit to the dealership's marketing department. You also might consider contacting the Nevada Consumer Affairs Division if they do not stop after repeated requests.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:01 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times
problem is that they use minutes on the cell phone... its really irritating.. i should send them a bill....... i need to diagnose my cellphone bill to clarify which is their call, thats $120.....figure each call lasts 2 minutes on voicemail 15 times a month... 30 minutes... thats another $45........plus my 5% shop supplies fee ( i had to supply the battery and electricity for the phone)...another $8..... hmmm.. wonder if they have a coupon.... total $173

Old 02-14-2011, 09:34 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,286,775 times
Contact the corporate department of Fletcher Toyota. I would also demand they pay for all the calls that come into your cell phone. Tell them you are turning them in to the FCC, the do not call list and any other place you can think of. Since they keep calling after you told them to stop, they are in violation.

I totally refuse to give out my phone number. If a company wants it, I give them my old phone number. Because if they really need to get a hold of me, they can mail me something or send it to a junk email address.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:36 AM

654 posts, read 1,322,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
i need some advice... i took my Prius for an oil change to Fletcher Toyota ... no problems... However, i made the fatal mistake of giving them my home and cell number.. They continually call with their marketing.... I've informed their marketing dept to stop and to take me off the list..(about 3 months ago).. i still get calls almost every day.
Wow, never thought of it ... but that's another benefit to doing my own oil changes. No spam mail or annoying phone calls, no shop supplies fee, no 'oil disposal fee'. I do my own synthetic oil change with a filter I like for about $15 rather than the $70-100 they want. Granted, the oil's higher quality & more expensive, but the labor costs the same ... so why is the cost often more than double? I guess some people are willing to pay for the higher quality, so they gouge you where they think they can get away with it ...

Sorry to hear about your situation, airics. You'll probably have a tough time getting off their list until they voluntarily comply. Since you have a 'business relationship' with them (albeit only one oil change), I believe they get a pass from the Do-Not-Call list rules.

Usually I approach these situations by trying to find the right person to reach & giving them a business reason to stop. However, if they sense they're not likely getting more of your business anyways, the "I'm not going to give you any more business if you don't stop this" approach may not do much good. Is there any other area where they might feel the pain financially from doing this, or conversely, where they might gain something by leaving you alone?

Old 02-15-2011, 01:14 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,837,108 times
Can you have their number blocked from your cell provider?

Old 02-16-2011, 02:03 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times
It's just a small point here, but the name of the dealership is Fletcher JONES Toyota. Fletcher Jones, Sr. was a friend of mine. His son, Fletcher Jones, Jr. owns it now. He was married to our former mayor, Jan Jones.

Anyway, you should put your phones on the National Don't Call list, then if anyone violates it you can complain to the Attorney General of Nevada. It doesn't help you with charities and politicians, since, of course, they exempted themselves. I don't have the link to the Don't Call list handy, but you can Google it.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:13 AM

654 posts, read 1,322,937 times
https://www.donotcall.gov/

Register at the above address & you should see a reduction in the cold calls & solicitations. Below are answers to some of the common questions showing up here, hope it helps ...
  1. If I register my number on the National Do Not Call Registry, will it stop all telemarketing calls? No. Placing your number on the National Do Not Call Registry will stop most telemarketing calls, but not all. Because of limitations in the jurisdiction of the FTC and FCC, calls from or on behalf of political organizations, charities, and telephone surveyors would still be permitted, as would calls from companies with which you have an existing business relationship, or those to whom you’ve provided express agreement in writing to receive their calls. However, if you ask a company with which you have an existing business relationship to place your number on its own do-not-call list, it must honor your request. You should keep a record of the date you make the request.
  2. Are calls from political organizations or calls soliciting for charities covered? Political solicitations are not covered by the TSR at all, since they are not included in its definition of “telemarketing.” Charities are not covered by the requirements of the national registry. However, if a third-party telemarketer is calling on behalf of a charity, a consumer may ask not to receive any more calls from, or on behalf of, that specific charity. If a third-party telemarketer calls again on behalf of that charity, the telemarketer may be subject to a fine of up to $16,000 .
  3. What about telephone surveys? If the call is really for the sole purpose of conducting a survey, it is not covered. Only telemarketing calls are covered — that is, calls that solicit sales of goods or services. Callers purporting to take a survey, but also offering to sell goods or services, must comply with the National Do Not Call Registry.
  4. My number is on the National Do Not Call Registry. After I bought something from a company, a telemarketer representing that organization called me. Is this a violation? No. By purchasing something from the company, you established a business relationship with the company. As a result, even if you put your number on the National Do Not Call Registry, that company may call you for up to 18 months after your last purchase or delivery from it, or your last payment to it, unless you ask the company not to call again. In that case, the company must honor your request not to call. If they subsequently call you again, they may be subject to a fine of up to $16,000 .
    An established business relationship with a company also will be created if you make an inquiry to the company, or submit an application to it. This kind of established business relationship exists for three months after the inquiry or application. During this time, the company can call you.
    If you make a specific request to that company not to call you, however, then the company may not call you, even if you have an established business relationship with that company. You should keep a record of the date you make the request.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas