Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2011, 01:33 PM

2 posts, read 3,487 times

Advertisements

Hi forum mates!

I have been looking at moving to Vegas! I have family in Pahrump but there doesn't seem to be work out there. So I been looking into Vegas! I currently work for the University of California in supervisor role for retail. I been with UCSD for 4 years now!

I like the idea I can go for an interview and come back the next day! Vegas is very close to SD!

I been going to trade school to for the last two years! I'm looking to move to Vegas and get into the Medical field! I have the following qualifications.

I have not attempted to get a job in medical field in San Diego.

1. Certified Medical Assistant
2. Patient Care Technician Certificate
3. Certified Nursing Assistant
4. Certified Phlebotomist
5. Certified EKG Technician

I would be glad to work in any field that relates to my qualifications! I'm very young and been on my own in San Diego since 18. I'm now 22 and want a change! I'm very sensible financially and pay everything with cash! I would be happy with any job that pays $12 + an hour! What are my chances in Vegas getting a basic $12 an hour job? I even considered living in Pahrump with family and commute with them to Vegas! Please give me the brutal truth!

Last edited by mitchmatch2011; 03-27-2011 at 01:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 01:49 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,415,085 times
I think your best chance is with one of the major dialysis companies as a patient care technician. The hours are challenging though. You can log onto davita.com to look for job openings in Las Vegas. Starting pay in El Paso is only $9.50 an hour. I assume it would be higher in Las Vegas due to the higher cost of living.

Old 03-27-2011, 01:51 PM

2 posts, read 3,487 times
Thanks!

My plan is to get an interview and drive to Vegas! I want to secure a job before I move! I just want to know how the medical field is in Vegas! Thanks again,

Old 03-27-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchmatch2011 View Post
Thanks!

My plan is to get an interview and drive to Vegas! I want to secure a job before I move! I just want to know how the medical field is in Vegas! Thanks again,
Most places require you to apply online before they will grant an interview.

Old 03-27-2011, 02:55 PM

270 posts, read 535,061 times
Just a small, pesky thing----you should drop the exclamation point ! after virtually every sentence. If you use so many in a letter of introduction to a potential employer, they will likely not read on to the end of the letter. Save the exclamation for one use only in your cover letter! Good luck to you.

Old 03-27-2011, 03:11 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cecnj View Post
Just a small, pesky thing----you should drop the exclamation point ! after virtually every sentence. If you use so many in a letter of introduction to a potential employer, they will likely not read on to the end of the letter. Save the exclamation for one use only in your cover letter! Good luck to you.
In fact, don't use it at all. Not professional.

In the medical field you might have a good chance of finding a job. In any other field, keep in mind that in Las Vegas we have the highest unemployment rate in the U.S. But, even though visitor volume never really dropped that drastically in the crash (it did drop by 2 or 3 million a year), it has been steadily climbing back towards 39 million a year. But finding a job is always a matter of being in the right place at the right time, with the right qualifications and attitude. So, break a leg. I think you've got a shot.

BTW, you don't want to work in Pahrump anyway. What a mess they have in Nye County, and I can't remember a time when they didn't have one, especially in law enforcement. I know that's a generality, but we don't have that much space here.

Old 03-27-2011, 03:16 PM

I looked at the Davita job site for patient care techinician. It seems that they don't have much turnover in Las Vegas because I only found two openings. My guess is that people who have jobs are hanging on to them for dear life. In El Paso, there is a shortage of patient care techs for dialysis.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:57 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,501,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cecnj View Post
hmmmm...not even a...Thanks!

Old 03-28-2011, 01:21 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
HE**!!! NO!!! Unless you're saying GO EERS!!!

Old 03-28-2011, 05:45 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,637,620 times
Default Lol

I was going to mention the exclamation thing too!! It's so annoying! Even if you are excited! It's important not to overuse it!!!

To be fair Vegas doesn't have the highest unemployment rate in the US. Nevada does. Fresno has an 18% unemployment rate right now, so do many other cities you can find, but as a state Nevada is easily #1 worst...

I would think medical fields may be better. My guess is certain fields anywhere with the right qualifications, it won't be tough. It depends on so many factors. Take indie filmmaking, everyone says it's nearly impossible to find distribution. Uhh, it's really easy if your movie is halfway decent, but most movies suck and therefore these filmmakers crowd the forums with their horror stories. Most are from random flyover states. Nobody I know in LA has made a movie that wasn't at least distributed.

Job situation is the same. The top people will have no trouble no matter where they go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas