Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 09:54 PM

62 posts, read 196,554 times

Advertisements

i have kind of an odd situation... any help would be greatly appreciated. like 80% of this town i have crappy credit and having a hard time getting a car my mom, who lives in los angeles, is offering to use her credit and buy the car for me. i spoke to the ins. company and they said its not a problem as i can be added as a driver to the car. the question that i cant seem to figure out is that bc she lives in los angeles, the car will have to be registered in CA. that means, driving it around here it will have CA plates which at some point in time cause a cop to pull me over. if the car is legally in her name, is there any problem with that? does anyone on here see any potential issues i may be missing here? i know its a mickey mouse way around the system. but i can afford the car, i just cant get it bc of my bad credit. i have only been in vegas about 4 months and still unsure about the laws.. any help is SO appreciated.
thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 10:21 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,998,514 times
no, she will have the loan in her name.. you will be an additional driver on the registration

Old 08-31-2011, 10:24 PM

so its not a problem to drive it around vegas since the car/loan is in her name?

Old 08-31-2011, 10:29 PM

the loan is different from the registration... the registration will be in both names

Old 08-31-2011, 10:43 PM

sorry i dont mean to sound confused, but i am lol so i can be on her registration... but it will still have to be a california registration bc the car and loan will be in her name. is there a prob with driving around a california car if i am living in vegas?

Old 08-31-2011, 10:56 PM

Location: Columbus, OH / Lake Las Vegas, NV / Indianapolis, IN
81 posts, read 168,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by three1oh View Post
sorry i dont mean to sound confused, but i am lol so i can be on her registration... but it will still have to be a california registration bc the car and loan will be in her name. is there a prob with driving around a california car if i am living in vegas?
No, this shouldn't be a problem. I assume you'll have a CA driver's license as well?

Supposedly you are supposed to switch your DL and plate within 30 days of moving here. You guys could probably have the car registered in NV if you wanted.

I'm out here for work. My car has OH Plates and I maintain a DL and residence in Ohio.

Every state claims to be strict about this, but I don't see how it can reasonably be enforced. Maintain your current DL and CA address and tell the cop you're here visiting if stopped.....

Old 08-31-2011, 11:19 PM

508 posts, read 1,022,320 times
or you can just register the car in nevada... the LOAN does not dictate where you register the car... by not registering your car in the state that you are living you are raising the prices for everyone and you relize its tax deductable right?? the registration i mean...

loan and registration have nothing to do with one another. you and your mom can both be on the registration. people do that all the time...

Old 08-31-2011, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHBuckeye View Post
No, this shouldn't be a problem. I assume you'll have a CA driver's license as well?

Supposedly you are supposed to switch your DL and plate within 30 days of moving here. You guys could probably have the car registered in NV if you wanted.

I'm out here for work. My car has OH Plates and I maintain a DL and residence in Ohio.

Every state claims to be strict about this, but I don't see how it can reasonably be enforced. Maintain your current DL and CA address and tell the cop you're here visiting if stopped.....
Sorry you are completely incorrect.... By working here, you are considered a resident therefore you MUST have Nevada plates.

http://www.dmvnv.com/newresident.htm

Playing with fire... it is a $1000 FINE!

Old 08-31-2011, 11:26 PM

Location: Columbus, OH / Lake Las Vegas, NV / Indianapolis, IN
81 posts, read 168,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
Sorry you are completely incorrect.... By working here, you are considered a resident therefore you MUST have Nevada plates.
Maybe so, but too bad. Let the cops try to prove it. I maintain a residence in OH, my DL says OH, my paystubs say OH, my insurance says OH, my utility bills say OH.

Officer, I'm just on a long road trip.....

Any citation would simply be a contribution to the household toilet paper supply.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:38 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
OK, I'll bring it up. What kind of car are you (and mom) buying? And how much needs to be financed?

It the answers are "new" and "a lot" then I suggest you find an inexpensive used car that is within your means. That would solve a lot of hassle. Besides, you probably don't want mom on the hook for car payments if something goes wrong with your job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas