Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 03:01 PM

1,609 posts, read 2,015,880 times

Advertisements

When you're replacing pool equipement (pumps, heaters, etc), do you use pool builders or pool companies that service your pool (chemicals, clean etc)? I think I've seen a thread about reputable pool builders. Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 03:27 PM

687 posts, read 1,945,433 times
So far my pool guy has taken good care of everything, including installing a new pump and filter. He's been a good guy thus far and always seems to be able to get great deals on the stuff I need. He also takes care of several of my friends pools. He's currently getting me estimates on replacing sections of cool decking. DM me if you want his name and number.

Good Luck,
Croce

Old 07-23-2011, 03:49 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,074,309 times
Most of the pool supply stores will install equipment they sell (for a charge).

I've had good luck with Nationwide Pool Supply (NPS) here in town.

If you need a pump replacement, I'd highly recommend getting a variable speed pump. NV Energy has a $300 rebate on a variable speed pump when you buy through most of the pool stores or contractors here in town.

A friend of mine had his pump replaced by NPS with the variable speed pump and I believe it was around $1100 installed after the rebate. It's worth it though since you can save quite a bit since the variable pumps are so much more efficient electricity wise and they are very quiet too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
When you're replacing pool equipement (pumps, heaters, etc), do you use pool builders or pool companies that service your pool (chemicals, clean etc)? I think I've seen a thread about reputable pool builders. Thanks for your help.

Old 07-23-2011, 03:54 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,074,309 times
I had my kool deck re-done last year and honestly it came out terrible. They used an acrylic material they spray down and then re-paint the whole thing. Since the new stuff is painted it gets stained easily from dirty feet or just yard dirt and it is nearly impossible to clean. There are sections I literally cannot clean.

I was told they can't "re-do" authentic kool deck, since the kool deck is applied only to freshly poured concrete, but watch out for the acrylic products and I would stay away from anything that is painted. The stuff they used on my deck is called "Preferred Deck Systems" and I definitely would not have that done again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croce View Post
He's currently getting me estimates on replacing sections of cool decking.

Old 07-23-2011, 04:55 PM

112 posts, read 316,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
Most of the pool supply stores will install equipment they sell (for a charge).

If you need a pump replacement, I'd highly recommend getting a variable speed pump. NV Energy has a $300 rebate on a variable speed pump when you buy through most of the pool stores or contractors here in town.

A friend of mine had his pump replaced by NPS with the variable speed pump and I believe it was around $1100 installed after the rebate. It's worth it though since you can save quite a bit since the variable pumps are so much more efficient electricity wise and they are very quiet too.
I second NPS and the VSP. I was checking out the forum a year ago and I saw someone here recommend the VSP. Sorry, can't remember who recommended it but wish I did so I could thank them! We looked into it(VSP) and our electric bill definitely shows the savings vs. last year.

Old 07-23-2011, 05:01 PM

687 posts, read 1,945,433 times
Quote:
I had my kool deck re-done last year and honestly it came out terrible. They used an acrylic material they spray down and then re-paint the whole thing. Since the new stuff is painted it gets stained easily from dirty feet or just yard dirt and it is nearly impossible to clean. There are sections I literally cannot clean.

I was told they can't "re-do" authentic kool deck, since the kool deck is applied only to freshly poured concrete, but watch out for the acrylic products and I would stay away from anything that is painted. The stuff they used on my deck is called "Preferred Deck Systems" and I definitely would not have that done again.
You are correct! In my case, they are going to jackhammer out two or three sections and then re-pour it. I have a portion of my decking that is being pushed up by some tree roots. I removed the tree and tried to get the sections to settle back on their own, to no avail. I even tried putting a 55 gal drum filled with water on them - nada. Now they need to go and whatever is under them causing them to rise has to be dealt with properly. The joys of pool ownership!

Old 07-23-2011, 05:15 PM

901 posts, read 1,899,186 times
Quote:
I really like NPS too, especially for chemicals. NPS' chemicals are much more effective than the stuff Leslie's has in stock.

Quote:

Here's a video showing the efficiency of a variable speed pump.

‪Variable speed pool pump efficiency test Pool Technicians 760-323-5559‬‏ - YouTube

Old 07-23-2011, 06:14 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,862,879 times
I was just in a Leslie's Pool Supply, and the sign on the door said the $300 rebate for a variable speed pump goes down to $150 on August 1st, so buy soon if you want the full rebate.

NPS (and a few other stores) can fill out the paperwork for you, and you get the rebate immediately instead of having to send it in and wait for a check to arrive in the mail. I bought my Pentair Intelliflo from NPS, and I was satisfied with their installation. Last time I was in an NPS they were pushing the Hayward variable speed pump. I like my Intelliflo. I believe the Pentair variable speed (VS-3050) is about $950 before rebate while the variable flow (VF-3050) is a few hundred more. For a few hundred dollars savings I can live without having constant flow. The variable flow pumps will maintain constant flow despite changes in pump head, filter backpressure, etc.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:43 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,862,879 times
Quote:

I just had my Kool Deck redone last Thursday. They used this stuff:

XCEL SURFACES Acrylic Concrete Surfacing Products–Products at a Glance (http://www.xcelsurfaces.com/Products/Default.aspx - broken link)

which doesn't sound that different than the product used on your deck. I wonder how much proper application contributes to longevity.

The stuff used the first time it was redone (maybe 2004) was complete crap, and in a few spots separated from the concrete and bubbled up. Never had a problem cleaning it, except my pressure washer could remove it from those spots where it did not bond to the concrete. The new application looks much better, but it's far too early to tell how well it is going to hold up. The same person did my neighbor's deck a few months ago; so far theirs has held up.

The guys doing the install made an absolute mess in the yard. They used concrete grinders on the areas where there were bonding problems with the old coating, and most of the dust wound up in the pool (only today is the pool finally clear). They were careful where they sprayed the texture during application, but not while adjusting the gun before they started, so they got texture all over a bunch of flower pots that were near the pool.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:16 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,713,690 times
Intelliflo pumps are my favorite for anyone looking for a replacement pump to save money. They share the same internals as the Wisperflo pump( pump only not the motor ) and parts are cheap. I've seen a few of them go bad lately, mostly the main circuit board that mounts on top of the motor. Make sure you try to protect this part of the pump because it can be expensive to fix if you had to replace the board out of warranty. Sometimes you will have to replace the entire motor and that is almost as much as a new pump. Another good idea is to get an automation system with this pump to fully utilize its capabilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas