Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 09:25 AM

508 posts, read 1,022,573 times

Advertisements

ok sorry one more question i see a ton of listings for .29 gal and then one on lowes for 1 gal... of the epoxy grout.... which do you think is better to work with or any advice on how to lay it. i read a bit about this stuff and i think i really like it... :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 12:26 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,001,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grofica View Post
I have maybe 90sq ft (if that... kitchen 3 bathrooms and a laundry room) of tile... 12x12 with the 1/4 grout line i think....
Shouldn't be too big a deal to remove 1/4" (deep) of old dingy grout from the surface of each room. You'll need a grout saw (looks kinda-sorta like a toothbrush) with enough blades stacked together so it's 1/4" wide. (Otherwise, it will take FOREVER). You can buy additional blades for the saw. Buy A LOT. You can always return them.

Quote:
I really wanted to do polished concrete but am looking for a cheaper option. its really sad i just had my floors done and they are already blah. I had the floors sealed before and it didnt help at all. the grout gets so dingy so fast i end up spending the weekends scrubbing all the grout to keep it the pretty pearl white.
One of the things that really gets people is they have the floors sealed, and the morons seal the porcelain/ceramic -- WHICH DO NOT NEED TO BE SEALED. Sealing them is basically like coating them with fingernail polish. Only the grout needs to be sealed. And only if it's not epoxy grout.

Quote:
ok sorry one more question i see a ton of listings for .29 gal and then one on lowes for 1 gal... of the epoxy grout.... which do you think is better to work with or any advice on how to lay it. i read a bit about this stuff and i think i really like it... :-)
I bought everything at Floor and Decor. I wouldn't go to Lowe's or Home Depot for this one -- Maybe they carry the same formula of Spectralock. But I don't know. I know F&D has the saw and white epoxy grout. Since it's only 90 sqft, I wouldn't mess around with any other store. Even if you pay a couple bucks more, so what?

Here's a picture of the floor during the grouting process to give you an idea how to best install the grout:

Place the mixed epoxy grout in a ziploc bag. Cut a corner of the bag. Then pipe the grout into the gap and push it in with a grout float. (There are special floats for epoxy grout.) An "A&B" container of Spectralock will fill the area you see masked off. That isn't a whole lot of coverage for $25 worth of grout.

PS -- the computer is no longer sitting on banana boxes. I built an entertainment center a few years ago. This was RIGHT after we bought the place.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:24 AM

I would +1 you but i have to spread more rep around first....

I have to say this is one of the best d*mn posts... you have me excited to have tile again... you just dont know how disapointed i was when i relized my grout was a pain in the *ss to clean... Wow i am actually really excited and yeah i will go to Floor and Decor...

your my hero :-)

Old 08-30-2011, 11:37 AM

Thinking about it, I'd say you have quite a bit more than 90 sqft. A small bathroom is around 50 sqft, and you say you have multiple baths plus a kitchen to do.

I would start in the least-used bathroom. While regrouting isn't difficult, it is quite tedious. Build up some experience before tackling the kitchen, that's for sure.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:08 PM

ok your right i just actually ran the measurments its around 350 sq feet with all the rooms that are tile but still thats not too bad compared with the hours and elbow grease i put in every week to scrub them.... and its still a lot cheaper than doing the floor over :-)

Old 08-30-2011, 11:15 PM

Quote:
ok your right i just actually ran the measurments its around 350 sq feet with all the rooms that are tile but still thats not too bad compared with the hours and elbow grease i put in every week to scrub them.... and its still a lot cheaper than doing the floor over :-)
While you're down there sawing grout (it's actually more like filing it down), you may want to get some acid-based floor stripper* to remove all the sealer that was put on your ceramic. (I'm assuming glazed ceramic tile. If it's more like saltillo tile, then yes it needs regular sealing.)

Let me know what kind of tile you have exactly, and I'll adjust my advice.

* It's in the same area as the sealer.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
One of the things that really gets people is they have the floors sealed, and the morons seal the porcelain/ceramic -- WHICH DO NOT NEED TO BE SEALED. Sealing them is basically like coating them with fingernail polish. Only the grout needs to be sealed. And only if it's not epoxy grout.
This info is only correct if the ceramic tile is glazed. If it is porous ceramic, like saltillo, it NEEDS to be sealed. I don't want to steer someone wrong.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
While you're down there sawing grout (it's actually more like filing it down), you may want to get some acid-based floor stripper* to remove all the sealer that was put on your ceramic. (I'm assuming glazed ceramic tile. If it's more like saltillo tile, then yes it needs regular sealing.)

Let me know what kind of tile you have exactly, and I'll adjust my advice.

* It's in the same area as the sealer.
Its the glazed ceramic tile but i dont think they ever put sealer on that just the grout and i dont think they did a good job of doing it because it never seems to come clean.

I am super excited though. I should be home in just a couple days and the first place on my list to go is the floor store you spoke of....

Old 08-31-2011, 12:45 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,127,019 times
I did the tile in my entry way, hallway, master bedroom and two baths.....If i had it to do over again I would dig a hole in theback yard, jump in and pull the hole in after me....

I have NEVER hurt sooo much in my entire lilfe....but it sure looks good and its been there 10 years....by next year the pain should go away.

Old 09-03-2011, 04:01 AM

1,245 posts, read 1,829,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laso View Post
wanting to put tile on the living room and bathrooms. Any recommonendation around Las Vegas..
Thanks in advance
I used Floor Design of Nevada. Was happy with their work and price.

Floor Designs of Nevada - Home - Las Vegas flooring
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas