Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 07:05 PM

77 posts, read 170,141 times

Advertisements

Below is a pic I took of a yard of a home we are looking at. No landscaping as of yet. I jaw a lot of plans.
What the demarcation of stone ad bare desert near the wall?
I've heard rumblings of codes/regs that dictate that you can't landscape or put "certain" things near your wall.
Anyone clarify this?
How about grass? SynLawn? Pool?
I would hate to essentially waste all that space around the yard.

Thanks!

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=36.077298,-115.298010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 08:47 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,347,270 times
I've never heard of regulations about putting plants near a wall. I have lots of plants, and trees, near my walls, and have had at every house we've been in since about 1967. Just drive around town and look at all the trees and bushes that are next to walls. I don't think anyone could stop you if you wanted to plant grass in the whole space, but it is a waste of water, and would get expensive to water everyday in the hot months. Also keep in mind that if your sprinklers hit those walls it can be really bad cosmetically. You should find plants to put close to the wall that don't have large, wandering, roots that would cause problems. Usually a combination of plants and rocks is best here in the southwest. Go to the Springs Preserve and learn about desert gardening. They'll have all kinds of information for you in books and brochures. Becoming a Desert Gardener Workshop

Linn Mills probably teaches some of those classes, and his book, co-authored with Dick Post of Northern Nevada, is the bible for Nevada gardeners. You can find them everywhere. Google

Old 08-19-2011, 08:56 PM

Not a die hard for real grass, perhaps syn-lawn type,... But I way over priced.
Very important for me to be able to rustle around in the yard with my kids, play ball, etc. Sure there are parks, but I, personally, need this at home.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=36.197492,-115.264330

Old 08-19-2011, 09:11 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,347,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgarcia112 View Post
Not a die hard for real grass, perhaps syn-lawn type,... But I way over priced.
Very important for me to be able to rustle around in the yard with my kids, play ball, etc. Sure there are parks, but I, personally, need this at home.

---
I am here: Google Maps
If you have an HOA they probably won't allow "AstroTurf" type "lawns". And keep in mind it probably won't last that long in our weather.

Pools are expensive to build, and a real pain to maintain, but it looks like you have more than enough room for one. I've always heard they have to have a certain amount of space around them, but I've seen lots of them in very close spaces.

I think the white stone around the wall there is just to give a sense of separation, or something different. You know, the eye of the beholder, etc.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:14 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,243,683 times
It looks like you live in Mountains Edge. From what I know, they have some of the more restrictive rules regarding placement and type of plants (restrictions on palms, etc). Before you hire a contractor that claims they know the CC & R's, you'd be well served to read the list of approved plants, turf percentages and take a trip down to the nursery and get ideas for your yard based on the approved plants. Once you get your plan sketched out, you will have to have them approved by the association. Think long and hard about which trees you plant as a lot of people want a lush backyard from the gate...only to find that sapling Chilean Mesquite has grown to a 30' umbrella in five years and you have to rip it out.

You don't want to plant anything near the walls with invasive root systems or any kind of sprinkler overspray. Same goes for the foundation of your home.

Good luck! Fewer things were more fun for me than designing and making my backyard come to life.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:27 PM

901 posts, read 1,898,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spraynard Kruger View Post
Before you hire a contractor that claims they know the CC & R's, you'd be well served to read the list of approved plants, turf percentages and take a trip down to the nursery and get ideas for your yard based on the approved plants.Once you get your plan sketched out, you will have to have them approved by the association.
My HOA includes any restrictions/special instructions in their approval letter. To keep everyone on the same page, I always send a copy of this letter to the contractor before any work is started.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:37 PM

23,218 posts, read 29,031,323 times
What are the rules in regard to painting those walls, which might give a great lift to the backyard?

I'm color crazy, not just inside my house but outside as well. I have 2 couryard walls, one bright purple, the other colbalt blue.

Just curious about the painting restrictions to those communities. If couldn't paint my courtyard walls, I wouldn't move there!

Old 08-19-2011, 09:55 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,243,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trash Can View Post
My HOA includes any restrictions/special instructions in their approval letter. To keep everyone on the same page, I always send a copy of this letter to the contractor before any work is started.
Thats unique. I got burned by a super nice and otherwise competent contractor who planted a certain type of eucalyptus tree that was not on the approved list of plants. He was convinced he "knew the rules." On my community approvals and applications, they don't get that detailed on the submission...and the contractors often fail to do their due diligence...which brings it back to the homeowner who will be holding the bag for a $250 tree if something goes wrong.

Fortunately, it died and it was replaced by the contractor....from the approved list the second time around.

Caveat Emptor.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:01 PM

If would help. the home is in Summerlin.

There is actually 3 little yards in the back. The one shown would be where the pool would likely go. One will be a grass/synth grass area, the other a concrete area (quater BBall court, tricycles, etc.).

Old 08-21-2011, 09:19 PM

Anyone have experience adding a second story room? Example. Home has a a large family room bedroom downstairs and the upstairs only covers about half the home.
So would want to add a large room (game room) ontop of bedroom family room. Stairs already there would just add entry from existing upstairs portion.

Again, all I'd subject to HOA etc. But assuming all ok.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=36.200122,-115.282242
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas