Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 06:02 PM

10 posts, read 18,991 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I am a considering acquiring a property in the South west. In Vegas preferably in

- Summerlin or Henderson

1. Is it possible to get something decent (not a fixer upper) for $65,000 (for a Condo) or $85,000 for Single Family House (with No HOA) in these areas?

2. If my investment amounts are too low. What other areas should I look at, if I want something
- Safe and in low crime area?
- Something that will be easily rented (good school district ?)?
- Something that will hold its value or appreciate over time

3. I am also looking for a company which does all (or most) of the following
- Realtor
- Lien and Title checking company
- Rental agency
- Insurance company
- Property management company
- Real estate lawyer (if required in Nevada)

Please DM me your recommendations (someone with experience helping Canadian Investors will be ideal).

4. I can be in Las Vegas for a week (or two) in late December or early January. What is the recommended steps I should take to make sure that I
- Find a place
- Put an offer on it
- Buy it
- Rent it

all within the time I have (1 - 2 weeks); is it even possible? How can I prepare?

5. What is your preference Condo or No HOA Single Family house and why?

Thanks in advance for all the answers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 08:06 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,639,977 times
I personally don't think investing in vegas is a good idea right now, you won't find many people renting, and your price is all on the low side.

If you where buying to live here, yes its a much better bet.

I am not a real estate agent, or a person who is knowledgeable in 'investment properties'
so YMMV

Jonathan

Old 09-21-2011, 01:04 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,159,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post
I personally don't think investing in vegas is a good idea right now, you won't find many people renting, and your price is all on the low side.

I am not a real estate agent, or a person who is knowledgeable in 'investment properties'
so YMMV

Jonathan

I thought that there were more people renting then buying now?

Old 09-21-2011, 02:11 AM

347 posts, read 542,607 times
If I were you, I'd look into REITs and not deal with the headaches of owning a rental from so far away. There are crooks here that would take you for all your worth and not hesitate one bit.
With all that said, vegas is a prime market for knowledgeable investors who know and have experience in RE dealings. If I were you, I'd search out other real estate investors on the web and network with them and pick their brains before proceeding with investing in vegas real estate.
Have fun on sites like Zillow, Realtor.com, Clark County recorder, find access to the vegas MLS and search for properties that might fit your bill.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:20 AM

347 posts, read 542,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post

so YMMV

Jonathan
That's some big YMMV but at least you were honest unlike many on the board. I think this market is ripe for investors thus so many buying properties at such low prices. All those ppl that got foreclosed have to go somewhere to live and ppl who get used to living in sfr don't enjoy living in apts will want to rent homes.

I too am not a RE professional but I am somewhat knowledgeable and learning about the Vegas RE investment market.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:47 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post

I thought that there were more people renting then buying now?
There are -- all those people who lost their homes and can't get a loan for another.

The houses are currently going to less than replacement cost. People who can buy but aren't are betting against Las Vegas as a viable city.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:58 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,869,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksc72 View Post
... Is it possible to get something decent ... Safe and in low crime area?
That's a very interesting question. You see, most people who come to this board for advice ask for run-down properties in high-crime areas. There is nothing quite like the smell of gunfire in the morning.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:06 AM

My favorites are the people who use this board to be spoon fed information, so they can go out there and compete with the people who dispense the information.

Why on earth would I tell someone my criteria for selecting rental property? That's ultimately going to drive up prices for me.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:38 AM

2,036 posts, read 4,245,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
My favorites are the people who use this board to be spoon fed information, so they can go out there and compete with the people who dispense the information.

Why on earth would I tell someone my criteria for selecting rental property? That's ultimately going to drive up prices for me.
That logical fallacy pops up every now and then, too. That by virtue of someone else making a dollar...you, by default, did not.

Your "secret" is not exactly trademarked.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spraynard Kruger View Post
That logical fallacy pops up every now and then, too. That by virtue of someone else making a dollar...you, by default, did not.

Your "secret" is not exactly trademarked.
True, but I had to do my own homework.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: