Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 09:57 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,932,175 times

Advertisements

We're a guitarist/songwriter (yours truly) and drummer who lost our keyboardsman and bassist last month. We're still looking for the right keyboard player--one who knows the organ isn't just a body part, and whose dynamics are not loud, louder, and hello Uranus. And, we're still looking for the right bass player---one who can improvise without losing the bottom. Vocals from either or both would be a phenomenal plus!

We have one weekly gig hosting a blues jam (we admit---it barely pays, but it helps build a following so we can get better, non-jam gigs soon enough) and a budding reputation for good blues without the usual safe cliché song repertoire. We play material from that vast blues repertoire that never really gets touched (you have to hear "Hoochie Coochie Man," "Stormy Monday," "Rock Me Baby," "Tush," "Pride and Joy," "Sweet Home Chicago," "Crossroads," "Cold Shot," "Red House," "Statesboro Blues," "One Way Out," et. al., how many more years by how many more shortsighted actual or alleged blues bands?) And we write our own blues songs as well.

We love to experiment with the blues---variety is the life of spice, and the blues is not just a one-beat, one-trick pony. However, we advise you now--

Quote:
* We are not heavy mental or Led Zeppelin wannabes
* We are not Jimi Ray Vaughandrix wet dreamers
* We are not shuffle-shucking, boogie-brained bores
* We are not three-minute eggheads
* We are not channeling our inner classic rockers. And . . .
* We are not time-warped Woodstock Nationals hoping to return from exile.
This is not blues-rock. This is not blues-influenced rock. This is not throwing a couple of blues sops amidst the crashing, burning, and stripping the paint off the walls. This is a blues band . . . playing the blues. If you're just using the blues toward some other musical goal, if you don't live and breathe the blues as we do, please don't waste your time or ours.

But if you are as hungry to play the blues as we are, please drop me a private direct message so we can hook up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 10:20 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
so....you mean You play the Blues?

Old 10-08-2011, 10:30 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
so....you mean You play the Blues?
Sounds like he IS the blues. Too arrogant man. Tone it down and sell what you got, not what you ain't.

Old 10-08-2011, 10:55 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Sounds like he IS the blues. Too arrogant man. Tone it down and sell what you got, not what you ain't.
I imagine OP is quite sick of musicians who want to be the next "The Killers" trying to join his blues band and then co-opt it.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:13 AM

2,180 posts, read 4,537,916 times
blues solo is about the best you can do... blind melon ftw

Old 10-08-2011, 01:06 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,639,977 times
I just wrote a blues song, but there is no way I can post the title on here, but I will try...

if she won't f&ck me, then f&ck her!

Hey not bad!

Jonathan

Old 10-08-2011, 03:24 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,415,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post
I just wrote a blues song, but there is no way I can post the title on here, but I will try...

if she won't f&ck me, then f&ck her!

Hey not bad!

Jonathan
Don't quit your day job. Those lyrics are not remotely compatible with the blues.

Old 10-08-2011, 04:31 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,639,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
Don't quit your day job. Those lyrics are not remotely compatible with the blues.

Your right, its more country western

Jonathan

Old 10-08-2011, 06:36 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
Local resident, BB King, might disagree with the OP. And he's still as popular as ever.

Old 10-08-2011, 06:49 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,932,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I imagine OP is quite sick of musicians who want to be the next "The Killers" trying to join his blues band and then co-opt it.
Well, he (I) haven't had much of that happen to his own band just yet, but he has seen a small passel of actual or alleged blues bands in this town who really aren't blues bands but, rather, looking to do just what my notice suggested. He (I) is just sick and tired of running into players purporting to want to play the blues but turning out to be wanting things along those lines. You can find a small passel of so-called blues bands around here who have repertoires half or better of anything but the blues. That is what I was trying to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas