Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 05:57 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times

Advertisements

There were two (three but the other isn't specific with Las Vegas per say) about the housing bubble, the bust, and how it relates to the decline in the middle class in America.

Las Vegas is ground zero for America's housing collapse

Hispanics especially vulnerable in Las Vegas housing crisis

These were surprising to read considering absolutely nothing like this has happened in the Pittsburgh area. In fact, there was an article in the Pittsburgh Tribune Review about how 14% of the jobs that were created in October were in Western Pennsylvania which I think is stunning.

Old 12-04-2011, 06:19 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
It's hard to pull the rug out from under Spittsberg.

Old 12-04-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
It's hard to pull the rug out from under Spittsberg.
And that's supposed to mean what? Way to be mature; probably have never even been within 100 miles of here...... What's Clark County's unemployment rate? About 12%. It's 6.7% in Allegheny County.

Old 12-04-2011, 06:30 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,755,587 times
The first problem: Ryan was given a $300,000 mortgage, while he was UNEMPLOYED... (scarey)...

Old 12-04-2011, 06:31 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
And why are we supposed to care? If ANY of us wanted to live in Pennsylvania, we would.

I don't like snow. I don't like cold. I don't like salt on the roads, scraping windshields, splitting firewood, paying for home heating oil, or anything similar.

You keep reminding us what a crap economy we have, and we'll keep reminding you what crap winters you have. Fair enough?

Old 12-04-2011, 06:34 PM

2,724 posts, read 4,764,096 times
The last paragraph of the article is the most telling...

"Mexican Americans, after you talk to them, they always say, 'Si Dios quiere -- if God wills it.' There tends to be a fatalistic attitude about money in our community. When people have been ripped off and I've suggested going to police, I would often hear, 'If I was meant to lose it, I was meant to lose it."

Old 12-04-2011, 06:34 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,498,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
And why are we supposed to care? If ANY of us wanted to live in Pennsylvania, we would.

I don't like snow. I don't like cold. I don't like salt on the roads, scraping windshields, splitting firewood, paying for home heating oil, or anything similar.

You keep reminding us what a crap economy we have, and we'll keep reminding you what crap winters you have. Fair enough?
Vegas has made you a very angry man.

Old 12-04-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:

Ok I wanted to get some perspective about what happened in Vegas as I find the economic downturn fascinating, not see someone act like a 5 year old because someone not from your area made a thread about the economy which is a completely valid issue in Nevada. I thought these would be good articles to share and get a local perspective on them and what has happened because nothing like this has happened in Pittsburgh. Second, I love winter so the more snow, cold, and clouds the better .

Old 12-04-2011, 06:38 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Vegas has made you a very angry man.
With all due respect, I agree with ScoopLV. I hate the cold myself. I moved to Reno and actually like it, that was until it snowed. Pittsburgh is much colder than than that, and has humidity and bugs to boot. You have to remember I was born and raised in Phoenix, so I how feel should be expected.

Old 12-04-2011, 06:39 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,498,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Ok I wanted to get some perspective about what happened in Vegas as I find in fascinating not see someone act like a 5 year old because someone not from your area made a thread. I thought these would be good articles to share and get a local perspective on them and what has happened because nothing like this has happened in Pittsburgh. Second, I love winter so the more snow, cold, and clouds the better .
Sorry...you're wasting your time...most of them couldn't see the bad LV economy if it was on a slot machine in front of their faces! They all think everything is still rosey there. Some of them even think the rest of the country is in the same boat as them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: