Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 11:30 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,155,699 times

Advertisements

Anyone ever check this place out? I know its in the middle of a seedy area(behind Statosphere) but I have been reading some pretty good reviews about.

Didn't even know that this place existed until about a month ago while cruising the internet.

Is it true that they take cash only? If so...WTF?? Why force people to do business with you if you are located in a not so safe neighborhood with cash in your pocket?

Plus there is no inside/outside seating. Just a window to order from. Not the best setup at all. Seems like that does not deter locals or tourists from going here. Just look at the lines.

Either way, I'm going to check it out when I get back.

Last edited by von949; 12-25-2011 at 12:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2011, 11:52 PM

23,864 posts, read 24,105,148 times
We live close to it, and have checked it out once. Pretty good. They make everything on-site, so it's all fresh and homemade. Because they make everything daily, they only have a small selection of flavors on any given day, which is a bummer.

We've only been once, but we'll likely go again. We don't go out for dessert often, so our not having been there again doesn't mean much - it was worth a second trip.

Old 12-25-2011, 12:15 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,349,256 times
Luv It Custard has been there for decades, and they make the best ice cream you'll probably ever taste. It was there way before the area became "seedy", and has always been a popular local landmark. The man who runs it inherited it from his grandmother. He has been offered big bucks to franchise it but he won't do it. I could be mistaken but I think we paid with a credit card the last time we were there because I seem to remember my wife commenting on it. But you probably walk around with some cash in your pocket anyway. And you won't have to worry too much about being robbed since there is always a line waiting for ice cream. It's also a favorite place for cops to stop by for a cone or a sundae.

It's one of our few local businesses that have survived that long, and it is considered a welcome throwback to earlier, simpler times. Something we don't have a lot of in Las Vegas since everything here is new. White Cross Drugs nearby is another one. Boston Pizza is another that is right there too. At least they were last time I drove by. Many times we stop there for desert after going out, or we take friends from out of town who are always impressed both with the fact that Las Vegas has something like that, and at how good it is. I can't remember the owner's name, but he recently repainted the place, so business must still be booming. An extra treat is watching the girls from the Olympic Garden come and go.

Old 12-25-2011, 12:57 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,155,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Luv It Custard has been there for decades, and they make the best ice cream you'll probably ever taste. It was there way before the area became "seedy", and has always been a popular local landmark. The man who runs it inherited it from his grandmother. He has been offered big bucks to franchise it but he won't do it. I could be mistaken but I think we paid with a credit card the last time we were there because I seem to remember my wife commenting on it. But you probably walk around with some cash in your pocket anyway. And you won't have to worry too much about being robbed since there is always a line waiting for ice cream. It's also a favorite place for cops to stop by for a cone or a sundae.

It's one of our few local businesses that have survived that long, and it is considered a welcome throwback to earlier, simpler times. Something we don't have a lot of in Las Vegas since everything here is new. White Cross Drugs nearby is another one. Boston Pizza is another that is right there too. At least they were last time I drove by. Many times we stop there for desert after going out, or we take friends from out of town who are always impressed both with the fact that Las Vegas has something like that, and at how good it is. I can't remember the owner's name, but he recently repainted the place, so business must still be booming. An extra treat is watching the girls from the Olympic Garden come and go.
I just did a Google map on the place and I think the guys loitering in the pic are waiting for the same thing.

I thought it was behind the Stratosphere, its actually in front diagonal behind the Arco gas station.

Old 12-25-2011, 01:22 AM

2,724 posts, read 4,763,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
...I think the guys loitering in the pic are waiting for the same thing.
The guys loitering are probably selling the substance that is giving the people the desire for frozen custard.

Old 12-25-2011, 01:55 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
It's wonderful. Go while you still can. It's been there forever. As someone else said, not too many choices because it's all made fresh every day.

The perfect heart attack special..... Dinner at Tiffany's and frozen custard for dessert. Yummy!

Old 12-25-2011, 11:38 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,673,803 times
Yeah, it's right next to a strip club. You can stand in line and watch the strippers leave their cars to go to work.

It is also a low key, Las Vegas landmark to people who grew up here. Many old timers remember patronizing it as they cruised the strip as youngsters.

It is a wonderful place and I love their custard.

Old 12-25-2011, 11:56 AM

542 posts, read 986,374 times
OMG, why did you post this?!?!?!

Frozen Custard is like frozen heroin! One taste, and the next thing you know, you're standing in line at 3am, wearing sweat pants (Because your jeans no longer fit), while eating a half thawed cup of custard because you're nervous the line will be so long that you'll have to go 10min without your next "bump".....

...or so I've heard....

Old 12-25-2011, 06:48 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,673,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m73m95 View Post
omg, why did you post this?!?!?!

Frozen custard is like frozen heroin! One taste, and the next thing you know, you're standing in line at 3am, wearing sweat pants (because your jeans no longer fit), while eating a half thawed cup of custard because you're nervous the line will be so long that you'll have to go 10min without your next "bump".....

...or so i've heard....
:d

Old 12-27-2011, 10:10 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,107,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
It's wonderful. Go while you still can. It's been there forever. As someone else said, not too many choices because it's all made fresh every day.

The perfect heart attack special..... Dinner at Tiffany's and frozen custard for dessert. Yummy!
The worlds BEST hamburger was a "Jimmy Burger" on graveyard shift at Tiffany's... I doubt if Jimmy's still around tho....he prolly got shot by a jealous husband or father....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: