Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 01:50 AM

625 posts, read 797,331 times

Advertisements

My gf and I are still planning on making the move from Alabama to Las Vegas on about 10k...my question is would it be smarter to make the trip on one vehicle or two? We both will hit the pavement for jobs asap and I wondered if one car would cut some of the costs.

Other question is are there any unknown costs an out of towner do not know about to get settled into the state of Nevada? Other than license, insurance, registering the car, apt deposit, is there any costs I am leaving out?

Thanks for any advice. And I'm fully aware of the job market, we are not picky and have experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 02:07 AM

579 posts, read 997,786 times
You may need to make utility deposits. Also keep in mind that tag fees and car insurance are very high here. If you think you can survive on one car it might be a good idea. You may regret the idea later on though once you get on your feet. I would move here with two cars and if all else fails sell one. The used car market here is hot because there was a long period of time where there were few trade ins during the collapse as people either moved away or sat on their older cars. Also, moving here without a job could be very tough. Depending on what you do, your chances of scoring a job quickly are not great.

Old 01-15-2012, 02:35 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVPoker1 View Post
You may need to make utility deposits. Also keep in mind that tag fees and car insurance are very high here. If you think you can survive on one car it might be a good idea. You may regret the idea later on though once you get on your feet. I would move here with two cars and if all else fails sell one. The used car market here is hot because there was a long period of time where there were few trade ins during the collapse as people either moved away or sat on their older cars. Also, moving here without a job could be very tough. Depending on what you do, your chances of scoring a job quickly are not great.
What he said, and keep in mind that if you get a job that is ten miles north and she gets one ten miles south, one car won't be enough. And if the one car breaks down you'll be out of luck. Since my wife started working from home we don't drive that much now, but we are still afraid to live with just one car in Las Vegas.

And I don't think there is anyway around paying utility deposits ...water, gas, electricity, and phone. Not sure about Cox Cable, but you'll probably need one there too. Of course the best thing there is to bundle phone, internet, and cable TV.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:25 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,964,579 times
Also don't forget the smog test to register... I don't know if they have those in Alabama but a failure can be a pain..

Old 01-15-2012, 02:05 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
And I don't think there is anyway around paying utility deposits ...water, gas, electricity, and phone.
Sure there is. I don't remember about all of them, but I do know that with NVEnergy for example, you just provide them with a letter of good credit from your previous utility company and they waive the deposit requirement.

Old 01-15-2012, 02:09 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
Also don't forget the smog test to register... I don't know if they have those in Alabama but a failure can be a pain..
^^^^^ This.

If we're talking two recent-model cars in good working order, bring them both. Register one of them, and back the other into your driveway with the tags up against the house. That'll keep you out of trouble until you decide to register it.

If either of the cars older, or you can smell the exhaust fumes, sell in Alabama. A car that won't pass smog is more trouble than it's worth.

Old 01-15-2012, 02:16 PM

901 posts, read 1,899,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
If either of the cars older, or you can smell the exhaust fumes, sell in Alabama. A car that won't pass smog is more trouble than it's worth.
Additionally, a "check engine" light equals automatic failure on the emissions test.

Old 01-15-2012, 02:20 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Sure there is. I don't remember about all of them, but I do know that with NVEnergy for example, you just provide them with a letter of good credit from your previous utility company and they waive the deposit requirement.
I've never paid a deposit. And I didn't need any letters of credit, either. I think if your score is high enough, they skip the deposit.

Old 01-15-2012, 02:21 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I've never (knock on wood) had to pay deposits on utilities here, even when I was transferred away and came back. But I had juice that got me off the hook in the 60's, and over the years I built up a good rep with the utilities. Other people tell me horror stories about their own experiences.

Old 01-15-2012, 02:29 PM

2,180 posts, read 4,537,916 times
OP... if you've ever moved or relocated, there is NOTHING special about Las Vegas. prepare like an adult and you should be good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas