Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 02:23 PM

121 posts, read 272,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I don't believe in "must have been signed off" or "looks to be above board."

Too many people here have a brother in law or cousin "who's a great carpenter" perform a cheap hack-job improvement, either hoping they can sneak one by the city, or not knowing the possible consequences of putting a casita one foot away from the property line.

I'd double check everything. I hope all is correct with the property, no defects and it's all systems go. But I'm not a particularly trusting soul by nature.
Just finished the home inspection. There are a few things about the renovations that were not up to code (no self closing, fire-resistant door to the garage,a few missing gfci outlets, etc). But everything is pretty minor and the additions show up on the drawings on file at the county appraiser's office. The blueprints for the renovations were also found in a cabinet and seem to show that it was all done with the proper permits.

Overall the inspector thought the house was well renovated and in great condition for a 50 year old home. He also said he thinks I got a steal based on what the flipper paid for the property ($100k), the amount of work that was done (probably as much as $50k if not more), and my purchase price ($135k).

The finishing work on the renovations is not exactly to my tastes (too generic and a far departure from the vintage nature of the house). But at least the house's structure and infrastructure are in great condition.

I should also add that the inspector recommended I hire a plumber to run a camera through the old cast iron pipes underneath the house. Does anyone have any thoughts on if that is worth $400?

Last edited by jbov; 03-08-2012 at 02:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas