Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 01:30 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhunting View Post
It's my understanding that Reid has ties to the company that is receiving the federal loan, and that he owns a ton of land that borders I-15 between Victorville and Las Vegas. A train would make that useless land skyrocket in value.
I've heard all this, too. And I'm no fan of Reid. (Although I think it's dumb to vote out the Senate majority leader -- he was instrumental in killing Yucca Mountain. For the most part, Harry has had our backs, so long has having our backs also helped his position. But to ditch him would be to give up a lot of clout at the federal level. And Nevada already gets FAR less in benefits than we pay in taxes.)

I'd like to see some links that verify this information, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 12:35 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhunting View Post
It's my understanding that Reid has ties to the company that is receiving the federal loan, and that he owns a ton of land that borders I-15 between Victorville and Las Vegas. A train would make that useless land skyrocket in value.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Same here.

Old 04-05-2012, 03:40 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,343,396 times
I find it difficult to believe that Reid bought a bunch of land in the desert on a lark years ago, and then manufactured an idea to put a train on it. That sounds like a rumor started by the people who like to discredit him at every turn.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:12 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times
NO it's more like someone got an idea and said Scary, we'll cut ya in for a piece of the action if you help us railroad this thru.

and YES Scary Harry has done TONS of this for this state for a lotta years....but ove the last few, he's become a sellout....he an Piglosi seem to have crawled into bed together....

I have voted for Harry in every election since the early 1970's....even last election....[but against Engle or dangle or whoever, I would have voted for the devil.]

Harry has forgotten where he comes from.....he's no longer a Nevadan, he is now from Washington DC

Old 04-05-2012, 05:51 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,946,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
NO it's more like someone got an idea and said Scary, we'll cut ya in for a piece of the action if you help us railroad this thru.

and YES Scary Harry has done TONS of this for this state for a lotta years....but ove the last few, he's become a sellout....he an Piglosi seem to have crawled into bed together....

I have voted for Harry in every election since the early 1970's....even last election....[but against Engle or dangle or whoever, I would have voted for the devil.]

Harry has forgotten where he comes from.....he's no longer a Nevadan, he is now from Washington DC
Sooooooo... just to be clear, it's safe to say we won't see you at the fundraiser?

Old 04-05-2012, 06:18 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times
mmmmmm prolly not....ALTHO.....if he runs against Sharon Angledangel [whoever] I'll be dere.....

I AM CERTAIN that sharon was funded by Scary Harry....

Old 04-06-2012, 12:19 AM

579 posts, read 1,209,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I've heard all this, too. And I'm no fan of Reid. (Although I think it's dumb to vote out the Senate majority leader -- he was instrumental in killing Yucca Mountain. For the most part, Harry has had our backs, so long has having our backs also helped his position. But to ditch him would be to give up a lot of clout at the federal level. And Nevada already gets FAR less in benefits than we pay in taxes.)

I can't provide links for proof (reference the train), but suffice it to say he has a long, long, long history (at least RUMORED history) with "land deals". He always denies wrong-doing, but it's just too coincidental. The top three that pop in my mind are the Del Webb land swap of the 1990s. That was a big bone of contention at the time. And accusations of something similar happening with Coyote Springs. Those weren't instances where Reid benefited directly, but the companies that wanted the land all gave him money, through his campaign, and Reid was accused of pressuring for those land zoning changes, and using the campaign funds for things he shouldn't (like Christmas bonuses). The one I remember where he was accused of actually OWNING the land, was the bridge he wanted built over the Colorado River and he owned the 160 acres nearby. There have been other stories about LLCs and corporations...... I doubt if he does own the Victorville land it would be in his name. And I'll be honest here, I voted for him for years, regardless of hearing all of this. I think most of the 1990s and 2000s, prior to his "WashingtonDC-ification" he did great things for NV. And I agree it would be stupid do get rid of him since he's the majority leader. But he's a politician......and it wouldn't surpirse me if the rumors are true about him benifiting financially with the whole train thing. It's the nature of the beast it seems. I'll have to search for old info and see if I can find anything reference some of the older stuff that went down, but here's links for the bridge and Del Webb land swap.

Will the pork stop here? - latimes.com

LAS VEGAS RJ:NEWS: BLM official denies being pressured on land swap

Old 04-06-2012, 11:52 AM

843 posts, read 2,215,795 times
If this idea was commercially viable, private funding would be easy enough to come by. The fact that this has to be subsidized by taxpayer money is proof that it will never pay for itself.

Old 04-06-2012, 04:02 PM

43 posts, read 67,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
If this idea was commercially viable, private funding would be easy enough to come by. The fact that this has to be subsidized by taxpayer money is proof that it will never pay for itself.
That's not necessarily true for transportation. What the government needs to consider in this case are the costs between the train, widening I-15, making another route, doing something else I can't think of, or doing nothing (assuming I-15 is sufficient). All of those cost the government in some way if the current state of I-15 is hurting the economy.

The train may never make a profit directly, but if it increases economic activity enough in the regions it services, it may profit the government indirectly. A company building the train can't rely on that type of income.

Old 04-07-2012, 01:28 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses373 View Post
That's not necessarily true for transportation. What the government needs to consider in this case are the costs between the train, widening I-15, making another route, doing something else I can't think of, or doing nothing (assuming I-15 is sufficient). All of those cost the government in some way if the current state of I-15 is hurting the economy.

The train may never make a profit directly, but if it increases economic activity enough in the regions it services, it may profit the government indirectly. A company building the train can't rely on that type of income.

I agree completely. There are some projects that NEED federal assistance -- ports, railroads, highways, airports. These things pay dividends for decades. No private company can expect to build this and turn a profit in the timeframe necessary to make it a worthwhile investment.

But that doesn't mean I'm suddenly going to change my opinion of the current DesertXpress plan -- it stinks on ice. OK, it stinks on dirt. That's a more apt idiom for the DesertXpress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas