Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 03:51 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times

Advertisements

Go to glass door.com and see if the company is listed and the interview process
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 03:58 PM

990 posts, read 1,654,798 times
A few more hints.
Don't cross your legs or arms during the interview. It's a sign for being defensive.
Do not look above the interviewer's head while answering questions. It's a sign of lying.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:13 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,421,063 times
So the 2nd interview was like a marathon. 1 hour with the department manager that I would be working for, then an hour with the entire team (8) on one side of the table and lonely me on the other. Plus it was bring your daughter to work day so there were 2 daughters also on their end of the table. Then 45 mins or so with the director then back to the manager for another 15 minutes or so to wrap things up.

I think I did OK. My brain totally froze on the very first technical question from the group but I answered well though not completely. When I was wrapping up with the manager I asked if I could visit "Jeremy" to clarify my answer, which I did.

There was also a question about ports. Anyone in IT knows that ports are a pretty big deal when it comes to computers and applications talking to each other. They asked the ports for FTP and SSH. My answer was 21&22 for FTP and 23 for SSH. Turns out 20&21 for FTP and 22 for SSH. Normally I'd be like eh so I was one off. But in this line of work, 1 off is the difference between communication and no communication. I am a little bugged by the fact that I missed it but now I will just head back to Calif. to my current job and see what develops from these 2.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:01 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_A_Braun View Post
So the 2nd interview was like a marathon. 1 hour with the department manager that I would be working for, then an hour with the entire team (8) on one side of the table and lonely me on the other. Plus it was bring your daughter to work day so there were 2 daughters also on their end of the table. Then 45 mins or so with the director then back to the manager for another 15 minutes or so to wrap things up.

I think I did OK. My brain totally froze on the very first technical question from the group but I answered well though not completely. When I was wrapping up with the manager I asked if I could visit "Jeremy" to clarify my answer, which I did.

There was also a question about ports. Anyone in IT knows that ports are a pretty big deal when it comes to computers and applications talking to each other. They asked the ports for FTP and SSH. My answer was 21&22 for FTP and 23 for SSH. Turns out 20&21 for FTP and 22 for SSH. Normally I'd be like eh so I was one off. But in this line of work, 1 off is the difference between communication and no communication. I am a little bugged by the fact that I missed it but now I will just head back to Calif. to my current job and see what develops from these 2.
I would guess I have done a couple of thousand interviews of technical types. Part of it annoyed the hell out of me. I was used by the executives to interview people who would end up my bosses boss.

My pet tactic is start out warm and friendly and then imagine the interviewer naked. More fun if a girl but it really makes no difference. Now you can't smile or even bat an eye...but the thought puts the interview into context.

Group interviews are tough. But it is actually easy to score. Go into the educating the uninformed mode. When they nail you just admit it and claim it is the sort of thing known only to a tight practioner. Have a couple of anecdotes that no one in the world should know about to use as counter examples.

I have a wonderful and elegantly simple problem that deals with the behavior of capacitors when you change their dimensions rather than the voltage. I have probably used it a thousand times and perhaps two people knew enough to deal with the question. And neither of them could handle the development of the concept from that point.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:20 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,475,380 times
Quote:

You gave it your best and thats what counts C A Braun. You got a lot further than others looking for the same type work as you.

Good luck to you, you already have a home a here and a home/job in Cali, you win either way!

Old 05-11-2012, 10:36 AM

1,374 posts, read 2,435,554 times
so, what makes you want to change your job to Las Vegas? I wouldn't think the salary would be higher here than CA for the same type of work. But I could be wrong.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:35 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,501,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz View Post
A few more hints.
Don't cross your legs...during the interview.
Especially, if you're female!

Old 05-11-2012, 12:46 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott456 View Post
so, what makes you want to change your job to Las Vegas? I wouldn't think the salary would be higher here than CA for the same type of work. But I could be wrong.
Cost of living

Old 05-11-2012, 12:49 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,421,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott456 View Post
Actually I have received an official offer from my first interview yesterday. It is a more senior position than what I have been doing in California for the past 15 years in I.T.

The base salary is only slightly higher than my current salary by about 6% but throw in an additional 9.4% that I won't be paying in state income taxes any longer + bonuses that I have been told to expect with this new position and I am looking at a 50% - 60% pay raise.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:54 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
Quote:
Actually I have received an official offer from my first interview yesterday. It is a more senior position than what I have been doing in California for the past 15 years in I.T.

The base salary is only slightly higher than my current salary by about 6% but throw in an additional 9.4% that I won't be paying in state income taxes any longer + bonuses that I have been told to expect with this new position and I am looking at a 50% - 60% pay raise.
And considering the cost of living here -- houses, groceries, etc. -- it's even better than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas