Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 09:47 AM

111 posts, read 429,675 times

Advertisements

Many people that trash Las Vegas have never experienced life outside of downtown and the strip.
I have lived here 28 years, and when I mention to people I live in Vegas, all they think is living on the strip.
Yes, Vegas has its bad points, just as any town. But, think about all the good things it has to offer.
You can go shopping at almost anytime during the night, especially around Christmas. It is a quick ride to Mt. Charleston, Utah, Arizona, and California. A trip to Zion National Park, is quick and relaxing. A day trip is easy and normally painless if you want to get out of town for the day.
Lets not forget the food. The food is great, and a variety for many different tastes, at reasonable prices.

Now, saying all that, I would love to move back east so I can experience the four seasons, but truthfully speaking, I am happy here, for the most part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 10:26 AM

2,990 posts, read 8,713,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
I never professed to be an expert. But if you followed the thread...you would have seen the previous post where dynimagelv suggested that people who trash LV are usually people who lose all their money on The Strip, and never ventured further. My repsonse was:

BTW, I formed my opinion when I travelled around off The Strip and looked around as a possible place to move. That, and my brother's experiences as a resident there. When I was on The Strip...I was on vacation...EVERYTHING looked great!

To all readers (and Matt Angry...I know you didn't ignore me like you said you did ): I AM NOT AN LV EXPERT AS BUZZY SUGGESTS...I merely offer my opinion as someone who previously considered moving there, but when I did the homework, I came away with a firm no go decision and am happy that I did. I share my insights here (usually trying to do so in some humorous way) and then sometimes get attacked by residents like BUZZ, who get SO upset when their homeland is trashed...hence the reason for posting this thread.

I couldn't give a rat's a$$ what BUZZ thought of where I live. I love it here in beautiful upstate NY. I am so very happy that I left LI, where I grew up...and equally happy that I did not make the mistake of moving to LV when I left there, like my brother did.

I guess what people are tring to figure out is you love upstate New York. I personally though of the Bufallo area as being nice, but those winters are not for me, esp that lake effect snow. Some of us love Las Vegas because we fit right in. I am sure you wont fit in Las Vegas because its just not "YOU" or your brother feels he made a big mistake. Some people have too much expectations and move here without doing any research so they trash it to justify themselves. There is no UTOPIA that will solve your all problems but Las Vegas has a lot to offer good people from all over the world. For some of us that move here for a better shot at that American Dream of Home Ownership is why some of us productive people come to Vegas.

Old 10-01-2007, 02:37 PM

515 posts, read 1,832,813 times
Hey jfk, can you see the above post, AA quotes you. Thats how I see your babble, you are ignored and its a much better board (for me that is).

Old 10-01-2007, 04:04 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,501,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Angry View Post
Hey jfk, can you see the above post, AA quotes you. Thats how I see your babble, you are ignored and its a much better board (for me that is).
Well, please just set the ignore feature this time! For heaven's sake...there's no need to SAY you're going to do it, BEG everyone to do so, and then not do it yourself?????

Old 10-02-2007, 01:21 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,289,591 times
jfk, Matt said he has you on ignore, but he still see's your posts when someone quotes you. Try re-reading his post. lol

Old 10-02-2007, 01:39 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,501,960 times
Thanks, Pink. I would think that that kind of defeats the purpose of the ignore feature. My apologies, Matt. Please try to ignore my quoted "babble", also.

Old 10-02-2007, 01:50 PM

740 posts, read 2,014,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Actually the rest of the city is not urban sprawl and strip malls. There are many great neighborhoods. Come out sometime for a visit and i'll take you for a walk in my neighborhood which is far, far, far from the strip. It's so far that the strip looks like this tiny place way out in the desert.
Where I live, we welcome shopping since we had to all live out here for several years before anything was nearby. We don't have endless strip malls, we have very few. And welcome more, because we don't want to always have to drive down the road aways just for a few items from the store.

And last but not least, Vegas is not for everyone. It's nice to read from people that realize that and don't bash everything about our city. Or the people.

Was wondering if you live in Henderson.... Sounds like you have the same "view" of vegas that my brother has.

Old 10-02-2007, 06:28 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,289,591 times
No, i live in Aliante in North las vegas. And I visit Henderson a couple times a year.

Old 10-03-2007, 01:58 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,342,524 times
jfkIII,

Hope you're doing well. Are the leaves turning color? That is one thing I will miss about DC.

Going back to your question. For me personally, it's just what I have seen being here a month now compared to being all over the country the last few years. Vegas is not DC, NYC, Detroit, Chicago, LA, Etc. While it is a growing city, it's still not at the level of those cities listed in terms of crime. Vegas crime continues to be more property crimes versus crimes against persons; however, the trend is starting to shift now that meth abuse is more common. The R-J yesterday showed pictures of ads that are proposed to be made to combat the meth abuse. With that said, Vegas does not have multiple murders per night that places like DC and Baltimore have, each of those cities for the last 5 years have averaged well over 250 murders a year. Vegas doesn't even come close.

As I have noted in previous posts, some people think Vegas consists of just the Strip. That couldn't be further from the truth with great parks, shopping, restaurants, and of course golf (had to throw that one in). The road system while not perfect is at least able to accomodate traffic unlike DC where it was ranked #4 last week for worst traffic in terms of commuting times. Go to either the Maryland or Virginia forums and you will find I'm not blowing smoke here.

As others have correctly said, Vegas is not perfect but no town is perfect. There is no utopia anywhere in the country including Hawaii. People who are thinking of relocating here have to do their homework and spend considerable time here to see if they can adjust to temperatures in the 110's in the summer, they also have to realize that jobs are not as available as they might be in those big cities I listed earlier being that Vegas main industry is hospitality. There are jobs here; however, wages here can be lower than what are expected in those big cities. The key is networking. I was fortunate that I have experience in a demanding field, and I was given a great starting salary. I really have no regrets leaving DC, Vegas has been wonderful.

Old 10-03-2007, 02:46 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,713,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfinnova View Post
jfkIII,

Hope you're doing well. Are the leaves turning color? That is one thing I will miss about DC.

Going back to your question. For me personally, it's just what I have seen being here a month now compared to being all over the country the last few years. Vegas is not DC, NYC, Detroit, Chicago, LA, Etc. While it is a growing city, it's still not at the level of those cities listed in terms of crime. Vegas crime continues to be more property crimes versus crimes against persons; however, the trend is starting to shift now that meth abuse is more common. The R-J yesterday showed pictures of ads that are proposed to be made to combat the meth abuse. With that said, Vegas does not have multiple murders per night that places like DC and Baltimore have, each of those cities for the last 5 years have averaged well over 250 murders a year. Vegas doesn't even come close.

As I have noted in previous posts, some people think Vegas consists of just the Strip. That couldn't be further from the truth with great parks, shopping, restaurants, and of course golf (had to throw that one in). The road system while not perfect is at least able to accomodate traffic unlike DC where it was ranked #4 last week for worst traffic in terms of commuting times. Go to either the Maryland or Virginia forums and you will find I'm not blowing smoke here.

As others have correctly said, Vegas is not perfect but no town is perfect. There is no utopia anywhere in the country including Hawaii. People who are thinking of relocating here have to do their homework and spend considerable time here to see if they can adjust to temperatures in the 110's in the summer, they also have to realize that jobs are not as available as they might be in those big cities I listed earlier being that Vegas main industry is hospitality. There are jobs here; however, wages here can be lower than what are expected in those big cities. The key is networking. I was fortunate that I have experience in a demanding field, and I was given a great starting salary. I really have no regrets leaving DC, Vegas has been wonderful.
You know Mr. Golf.. I totally agree with you. But pleading with people that already have an negative attitude and will not let down because of pride.. well that just says to me that its pointless. Anyhow, I'm glad you like it here so far and I totally agree with your point of view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas