Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 12:50 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,686,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I have compiled my market guide here.
Bookmarked!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
Well it's good you came and lived like a local. That way you can see first hand what it will be like to live here. Hopefully it'll work out where you will choose Las Vegas, if not I'm sure you'll be happy wherever you choose. Good luck!
Thank you. We really enjoyed our stay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 01:36 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,289,523 times
We had simliar weather when you were gone...temps in the low 100s and low humidity (like 104 degrees and 17% humidity) and it was wonderful. Of course everyone was whining about the heat, but it felt goods to me. It wasn't until the temps dropped and the humidity went up that it got "hot" to me.

Glad you had a good visit. A friend from here almost bought a house there recently. (as in last week) Her offer was accepted from Iowa but she decided she needed to see it in person and was glad she did. The sellers bought it as a foreclosure and the pervious people were obviously not happy about being evicted as they ran their car through the garage into the living room. It was repaired but she said it was done so badly you could clearly see it.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:54 PM

We tracked the weather while we were there and most days the "feels like" temperature was lower in Las Vegas than here.

I'm glad your friend decided to be cautious. A house is not something I'd buy sight unseen.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:09 PM

261 posts, read 422,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post

Driving.

One of the first things we noticed was speed limits. Anthem Parkway is 45 mph, which is crazy. Curvy, hilly, and full of old people (older than me) that either drive 60 or 30. It can get a bit scary and attention to driving is important. Then there is the occasional soccer mom who is late for whatever it is she's late for who gets very upset if you don't floor it as soon as the light is green. I do frustrate those folks. Light turns green, I count to three. Always. Traffic is heavy. That concerns Mrs. Tek to a greater degree than me, and there are some truly stupid drivers there (Not all of them old) just like here.

Intersections I cannot see at: Numerous. Too numerous. I came to the conclusion that the people who designed the landscaping and the placement of retaining walls at intersections do not drive. If I can't see past them without pulling out into the crossing traffic (6'-2), then all shorter drivers certainly can't. A resounding "Duh!" in this category.
You are right about the soccer moms. I was driving to Seven Hills on Sat., going south on Eastern in the left lane. I look, both mirrors and glance at blind spot, then signal my intention to change lanes. Start to ease over and out of no where is a pissed off young woman in a SUV blaring her horn at me. I have no idea where she came from. I let her pass and keep driving. This time I am trying to get in the right turn lane for St. Rose on Eastern. SUV in front and behind me. I signal and the one in back speeds up to cut me off. Another POed soccer mom glaring at me as I have to swerve and hit the brakes to get in behind her.

I can drive aggressively, I grew up driving on the Dan Ryan expressway where a turn signal for a lane change is only used at the last second. I just wasn't expecting this level of cut throat driving in a nice suburb. I'm thinking of buying back my old Land Rover Defender with the hitch and steal bumper. It destroyed a couple of front ends without so much as scratched paint.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:17 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,989,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbill618 View Post
I'm thinking of buying back my old Land Rover Defender with the hitch and steal bumper. It destroyed a couple of front ends without so much as scratched paint.
I've always maintained that I could make a good living on insurance settlements if I bought a 1956 Buick Roadmaster, with a five-point safety harness. And then gunning it at green lights so all the dipsh*ts who run red lights T-bone me. I could probably get in five accidents a day. It's not like the flimsy little cars of today could withstand THIS:

Old 08-06-2012, 02:20 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,881,532 times
You did experience a slightly cooler than recent average period. I saw a power bill which said average temp was 3 degrees cooler than July last year. I guess you just missed the string of 114 degree days, that would have been the true test of if you could handle the worst heat of summer. Thing about the heat too is its a cumulative annoyance. By early August you look at that forecast of another 30 days of 100 plus and it feels like a grind even if the worst of the heat has passed. But if you left not hating it maybe you'll manage ok.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:
We tracked the weather while we were there and most days the "feels like" temperature was lower in Las Vegas than here.
Well, sure, but 17% humidity in Iowa in July is pretty amazing and felt really good even if it wasn't as good as Vegas. I didn't sweat a drop till that humidity went back up. 104 felt more like 90, if that. One day at the water park I was actually chilly even though the temp was high. The humidity was so low the water dried instantly cooling me faster than I am used to

Old 08-06-2012, 02:43 PM

You'll get no argument from me!!

Old 08-06-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:
You'll get no argument from me!!
Ask anyone else here and they will tell you it was an inferno with high humidity which is NOT TRUE. Some people blame the humidity when it isnt even humid!

Old 08-06-2012, 04:50 PM

1,245 posts, read 1,828,067 times
Albertson in Anthem Highlands runs so many specials that it is reasonably priced given that it is so close. Scoop had a nice list of markets but he left off Diamond Bakery on Spring Mountain for Chinese pastries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas