Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 03:22 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marioni888 View Post
I'm Italian living in Vegas. I'm offended by this "festival" and they should close it.

Why they even call it Italian? Because of couple of Italian flags?

Food is anything but Italian, pizza is disgusting, no Italian vendors are present there, nobody SPEAK Italian, last year live music was american.....

and all this you PAY to see!
All I can say is I disagree with every generality you're throwing out there. Not perfect, but obviously tens of thousands of people enjoy it. So close it down because YOU don't like it? That's pretty illogical isn't it? BTW, you do know that Italian is capitalized, right? I fixed it for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 03:38 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,122,874 times
I attended the San Gennaro once. I found the food disgusting and the environment unsanitary.

I've been to other food events such as Bite of Las Vegas and didn't feel so dirty. At San Gennaro, I kept wanting to hand everyone my hand sanitizer. I'm glad others enjoy it, it's just not for me.

I would like to hit that Greek food festival. I love Greek food.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:02 PM

815 posts, read 2,052,635 times
No, I didn't like it at all. Bad food at high prices.

Looking forward to the Greek Festival, however.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:17 PM

244 posts, read 440,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
All I can say is I disagree with every generality you're throwing out there. Not perfect, but obviously tens of thousands of people enjoy it. So close it down because YOU don't like it? That's pretty illogical isn't it? BTW, you do know that Italian is capitalized, right? I fixed it for you.
tens of thousands ?

wow thats something!

I guess word "Italian" sell really well then....

Have u ever been to Italy? Have u ever tryed real Italian food? By the way what did you eat on that festival? Can you tell us?

Me and other of my 50-60 italian friends from vegas dont like food at that festival and everything goes with that. And thats supposed to be "our" festival !

If u like it thats fine, but please change the name of festival because its not Italian.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:34 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
Quote:
If u like it thats fine, but please change the name of festival because its not Italian.
It's Italian in the same way my mother in law's next-door neighbor is "Italian." (He doesn't speak a word of Italian. He doesn't know squat about regional Italian food. But the second we met him, he said he was Italian. He became confused when I switched languages.)

That "feast" appeals to the drunken "fahgeddabowdit" crowd. I've never been, because I've been warned off it. But that's what my friends in the kitchens of Las Vegas tell me.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:56 PM

815 posts, read 2,052,635 times
http://brooklyn.com/faqanswer-102.html

Old 09-13-2012, 08:01 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,159,384 times
Quote:
Have u ever been to Italy? Have u ever tryed real Italian food?
Not trying start an argument but have you ever been to Italy and tried real authentic food? I lived in the northern region of Italy for three years. A lot of the traditional food would not be a big hit in this country.

Pickled dandelions
Sliced horse meat
Egg salmon pizza
Gnocchi(my favorite Italian dish)
Tons of pork dishes
Tons of stuff with artichokes
Tons of anti pastas like bruschettas(Sp)
Lots of other foods I could not pronounce coming from animals I never heard of.

Hardly anything on Olive Garden"s menu is authentic everyday Italian. I learned that the hard way.

Discovering gnocchi was worth it though. Have not had it since I left.

Sent from phone using app

Old 09-13-2012, 08:04 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,122,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
Not trying start an argument but have you ever been to Italy and tried real authentic food? I lived in the northern region of Italy for three years. A lot of the traditional food would not be a big hit in this country.

Pickled dandelions
Sliced horse meat
Egg salmon pizza
Gnocchi(my favorite Italian dish)
Tons of pork dishes
Tons of stuff with artichokes
Tons of anti pastas like bruschettas(Sp)
Lots of other foods I could not pronounce coming from animals I never heard of.

Hardly anything on Olive Garden"s menu is authentic everyday Italian. I learned that the hard way.

Discovering gnocchi was worth it though. Have not had it since I left.

I love artichokes.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:15 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,159,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
It's Italian in the same way my mother in law's next-door neighbor is "Italian." (He doesn't speak a word of Italian. He doesn't know squat about regional Italian food. But the second we met him, he said he was Italian. He became confused when I switched languages.)

That "feast" appeals to the drunken "fahgeddabowdit" crowd. I've never been, because I've been warned off it. But that's what my friends in the kitchens of Las Vegas tell me.
One of my "Italian" best friends does not consider himself white. Just Italian only. If you say "that white guy over there" he will always reply, "I'm not white, I'm Italian".

Old 09-14-2012, 12:59 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
Quote:
tens of thousands ?

wow thats something!

I guess word "Italian" sell really well then....

Have u ever been to Italy? Have u ever tried real Italian food? By the way what did you eat on that festival? Can you tell us?

Me and other of my 50-60 Italian friends from Vegas don't like food at that festival and everything goes with that. And thats supposed to be "our" festival !

That's OK, you don't have to like everything. But just because you don't like it does that mean it should be shut down? Others obviously enjoy it because it's been going on since 1979 and that's when I started going so I don't remember everything I've eaten. These days I kind of stick to the Italian sausage "sangwitches". I've found pretty good cannoli there too.

For the past few years it's been profitable enough that they have it twice a year. So don't go if you don't like it. He** I don't go every year. And yes, obviously, "tens of thousands" of people do show up and enjoy it.

Yes I've been to Italy. I love Italy. I'd like to live in Italy. Not only have I been to Italy, I grew up in a place we call Little Italy, and I'm part Italian myself. Growing up in that town, at least 40% - 50% of my friends and acquaintances were second or third generation Italian. Most of the restaurants are Italian. I have one friend back home that was born on the boat on the way over. Many of the parents of my friends didn't speak English. So yes, I was raised on the best Italian food this side of Napoli. I have recipes to prove it, and when I was about ten years old, our neighbor, Mrs. Anguilli, brought my family a bowl of pasta and meatballs that I can still taste. I judge all spaghetti and meatballs by the way she made it. Mr. & Mrs. Anguilli brought grape vines over with them. Those vines are still growing in the backyard of the home he and his three sons built in 1941.

I have had my favorite, linguine and clams in most of this country's great restaurants such as the famous Elaine's in NYC, to the best in Chicago, Nawlins, Seattle, and San Francisco, and everywhere in between. But the best linguine and clams I've ever had was at a restaurant in my home town in West Virginia where one of the country's finest "Tally Rallies" has been held for the past 35 years. Also, one of tyhe best, if not THE best, Italian restaurants in the country is run by an Asian family in Seattle. It's called Perchè No Pasta and Vino. Some of them speak perfect Italian.

BTW: It's not called an Italian Festival, it is The Feast of San Gennaroand the owners of the franchise seem pretty Italian to me. Some of the vendors are even Italians from NYC. Don't be one of those east coast snobs that hates everything different than what they are used to. In Europe they're called "Ugly Americans", but it's the same thing here.

Last edited by Buzz123; 09-14-2012 at 01:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas