Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 12:14 PM

10 posts, read 21,419 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, first I'd like to thank you all in advance for any help you give me. I'd like the opinion of the posters who have been around for a while and have fairly high post counts. That doesn't mean the opinion of the newer members will not be taken into account, especially if you just moved to the area (I'd like to hear about your experience). This is the situation I find myself in, I just found out two days ago that I was given a job in LV BUT I have to be in the area by the 20th of next month. This does not give me much time at all to prepare. I sold my vehicle yesterday (for relocation expenses) and have a ton of questions on my mind when it comes to the whole move. I won't be making much ($16.45 hrly) compared to others so I'm looking to rent in the 750-900 mthly range. I also need to buy a vehicle upon arriving in the area (more cash out the pocket). My credit isn't the greatest because I really don't have much of it. I don't have any debt at the moment and have always usually paid cash for most things.

Well all of the above being said the question I have is what real estate agencies or agents do you recommend I speak to. I need someone well known, reliable and trustworthy (preferably a BBB accredited company) since I might have to pay them first and last months rent without even looking at the property in person (or just a quick look upon arriving in the area). The following zip codes are the main ones I'm looking at 89129, 89012, 89178, 89052 and 89044 with the following coming in as a 2nd group choice 89134, 89074, 89135 and 89138. What's the most reliable and trustworthy website for renting (there's so many out there) or even better who has rented via the internet and what apartment/condo/home complex was it. I'm asking because a lot of sites ask for you personal info for the application in order to run a credit check. I see for example that there are some apartments in Green valley called Pacific Islands who have a web site from where you can apply...are they trustworthy?

Thank you all so much before hand, I'm very stressed out at the moment LOL. I haven't even booked a plane ticket, hotel (for the first day or two) or rental car (while i find my own) yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 01:21 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,712,823 times
For your price range you should be able to find a nice 1 or 2 bedroom. Some of the zip codes you have listed are in the henderson area or the summerlin/nw area. Where is your job located? I would try to stay closest to your work as possible to keep you costs down (fuel). I know someone who commutes from Henderson to Summerlin area and spends about $20 a day on fuel (60 miles round trip). Buying a used car right now is crazy because the prices for anything fuel efficient is outrageous, but you should be able to find something decent in the 4-5K range depending on what type of car you are looking for.

Old 09-16-2012, 01:26 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
Where are you working? Generally pays in this town to stay on the same side you will be working at.

Any kiddies? Animals? You young? old? in between? You want a social or quiet neighborhood?

In general a number of us here tend to recommend condos. Nothing wrong with apartments except you are very dependent on the management which tends to change periodically.

Your initial zip codes tend to the high end and some are not convenient unless you work in Henderson.

Old 09-16-2012, 01:35 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,082,760 times
I think you can only guage so much without actually being here. As LVOC stated a large part of where to look depends on where you'll be working. I highly suggest staying in a weekly rental when you first get here so that you can get a feel for the area and your rent won't be that far outside of your budget.

I've moved several times to unknown parts with only a car full of belongings, I'm still alive. I may love a certain area that you'll hate. You need to look once you're here there's no getting around that.

Old 09-16-2012, 01:53 PM

419 posts, read 907,131 times
A good friend of mine moved to Las Vegas over a year ago. He ended up in Henderson which he likes very much.

He did what Aggrofish recommends, renting weekly in one of the many suite-type rental places. They're not bad at all. This proved to be smart, since his first inclination as to where to settle would have ended up being a bad one. Since you are so pressed for time, I recommend you do the same. Why a make a mistake you'll regret for a year?

Old 09-16-2012, 11:30 PM

Thanks for your replies, I just purchased my plane ticket, rental car and a hotel room a few minutes ago. It's a bit stressfull but over all I'm really excited about the move. I used to live in NY and I miss the city lights and attractions that come along with it. I've also lived in some very hot environments (military Afghanistan and Iraq desert) and I actually did not mind the extreme heat (so weather wise I should be ok). Ivoc, no kiddies or pets here and I'm between the age of 25 and 40 haha I'll never tell. I'm a social type of guy but when it comes to the area I live in I prefer a quiet neighborhood. I'm not big on noise unless I'm out and about in town. When it comes to the area I'll be working out of it's the VA hospital but I won't know for sure until tommorow (today) or Tuesday which hospital I'll be working out of. I'll post it on here as soon as I know. Once again thanks, hope you guys have a great start to your week.

Old 09-16-2012, 11:39 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don934 View Post
Thanks for your replies, I just purchased my plane ticket, rental car and a hotel room a few minutes ago. It's a bit stressfull but over all I'm really excited about the move. I used to live in NY and I miss the city lights and attractions that come along with it. I've also lived in some very hot environments (military Afghanistan and Iraq desert) and I actually did not mind the extreme heat (so weather wise I should be ok). Ivoc, no kiddies or pets here and I'm between the age of 25 and 40 haha I'll never tell. I'm a social type of guy but when it comes to the area I live in I prefer a quiet neighborhood. I'm not big on noise unless I'm out and about in town. When it comes to the area I'll be working out of it's the VA hospital but I won't know for sure until tommorow (today) or Tuesday which hospital I'll be working out of. I'll post it on here as soon as I know. Once again thanks, hope you guys have a great start to your week.
if its the VA hospital in North Las Vegas....

you want to be NORTH OF CRAIG (the more north, the better) and WEST OF THE 15... I HIGHLY STRESS WEST OF LOSSEE..

Old 09-17-2012, 08:35 AM

117 posts, read 249,252 times
Try budget suites. That way you have time to look around. However it would not be my first choice. But they do weekly rents. Its kind of like a hotel. Anyways I have rented in Vegas for almost ten years. I now own a home. Anyway their are trustworthy sites but I cannot post links in this forum for some reason. But web search the following.

rentclicks -rentals dot com
apartments dot com
hotpads dot com

These are all trustworthy

I have lived all over Vegas. The best areas IMO to live are : Spring Valley(way south), Centinial(way northwest), Summerlin, Green Valley Henderson area. Stay away from places like Nellis. The area sadly has gone down hill. directly north of the strip(I have lived before) is bad too. The further from the strip the better.

I never had any good credit but nor bad either. I always had to pay a higher deposit.

Old 09-17-2012, 01:09 PM

Well looks like my official work site will be the new VA hospital up north on Pecos. I was hoping I'd end up at a hospital closer to the strip but it is what it is. I'd like to find a spot thats about 15-20 mins from both the north VA hospital and the main strip. That looks hard to find without ending up in a bad neighborhood. I'll settle for a 25 minute commute to both the hospital and strip. Any ideas on best places (house, condo, apartments, etc) ? I'm leaning towards the 89129 zip but that puts me at around 28mins from the hospital and 26 mins to the strip (not the magic 25 or less I'd like haha). This of course is all based on google maps...How bad does traffic get heading up north from the 89129 area?

Old 09-17-2012, 01:20 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
Don't get so worked up about being close to the Strip. In general, the nicer houses are further away from the Strip. And it's not like it's a difficult drive to the Strip from anywhere in the valley. I live on the outer rim of Las Vegas and commute to the strip five days a week. The commute is a non-issue. That hospital is in a fairly nice section of town. I'd look for something nearby -- I'd start my search in the Centennial or Aliente areas. Either area would be a quick zip to work and the Strip.

Living in Summerlin when you work in North Las Vegas and want to play on the Strip doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas