Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2012, 06:06 PM

22 posts, read 77,256 times

Advertisements

What amount of money would be needed to move to vegas with, more than likely would not have a job when we move, hopefully will find jobs within a month. Our only bills we would be bringing with us would be a car payment of $500 and car insurance. Just curious to get some info from people who have done it already, we were planning on moving with roughly 30k. Thanks for any and all info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 06:42 PM

399 posts, read 694,103 times
I moved here last summer from the midwest without a job after being laid off. Moving it's self can be done using a rental truck for @ $3,000 or so depending on your location. I don't know what your field is, but finding work was the hardest, most depressing process I ever encountered! I never, ever had a problem finding a job. I'm educated, clean cut, bright and very professional - but in today's job market when you can only apply online - be prepared for rejection or worse, never hearing back on your application. Now if you're in a in demand field like medicine, you may have no problem. But if not, prepare for the worse and then triple that! Living cheaply, I lived for nearly a year for $15k. My housing was only $435 as I bought a home as a second home before I relocated. With $30k you will be able to make the move, but brace yourself for a really tough job market. Good luck and best wishes. PS. Stay off Craigslist for jobs, try indeed.com.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:45 PM

243 posts, read 629,087 times
Don't plan on having a job within 1 month. I came here with 2 jobs offered to me and didn't even start for a month. Finding a job, doing fingerprinting, background, or whatever else might be required, and then actually starting takes more than a month usually. Especially in this job market in this city.

As for costs, you can find decent rent for around 700-800 a month, sometimes cheaper. $30k should get you through quite a while, but obviously you don't want to burn it all. Expect to pay $1500-$2000 a month in expenses on top of what you currently pay in bills.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:18 PM

20 posts, read 43,265 times
I would also look at getting some estimates on car insurance to help with your expense estimates. I moved from WI and my insurance is double what I was paying and that was for just minimum coverage. With a car payment I would presume you have to carry full coverage. All my other expenses are pretty much what I was paying in WI.

Also, more companies are hiring remote employees depending on the job of course. I was able to keep my job and work remote when I move here in July.

Good luck.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:25 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,083,141 times
I know if these types of threads didn't exist the forum would be primarily real estate debates and some guy showing up on occasion calling us knuckleheads, but in realty nobody on here can answer your question.

We don't know your lifestyle, how much you plan on paying for rent, how big a place you'll need, the industry you're in, how difficult it will be for you to find a job, etc.

Maybe call uhaul, your insurance company, and take a look at he Nevada DMV to estimate registration fees?

You didn't give anyone enough info to give you an accurate answer. You want a blanket answer? Sure. Good luck man. See that reply isn't helpful at all. Really, I'm not trying to be a Richard but you can easily do the math yourself.

I know some people that could live for two years off 30k while others would only last 3 months.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:02 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,159,384 times
Wouldn't it be amazing if someone could give a pretty close estimate when someone made a thread like this?

"You would need $8,456.54 to be comfortable for 3-4 months."

Sent from phone using app

Old 09-21-2012, 12:57 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
$30,000 is a nice grubstake. But the job had better be lined up in advance. Totally solid. With a plan B and a plan C, just in case.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:37 PM

22 posts, read 77,256 times
Hey everyone thanks for the info, i know i wasnt very thorough on much info so here is a little more detail. We would like to live within a couple miles of the strip if possible we have looked at some apartments online to get a feel for rental prices. We would only need a 1 bedroom as it is just the two of us. Our current bills would be around $700 month when we move, as far as car insurance we are coming from NY, so we are used to extremely high insurance rates. We would like to have jobs secured before we make the move, however i have heard it is very difficult for non residents to secure a job, is this true? Im in the construction field, have been for 15yrs, i know that industry is very slow currently, but i would be willing to do anything for a job to start with, My fiancee has been a dietary manager for an assisted living/nursing home for 12 yrs, so hopefully she could find some employment pretty easily. We will be visiting in december for our wedding, but also to look at a few things, then coming back late july next year for two weeks to experience the heat and research everything else, then hopefully moving after the holidays. Hoping to move with at least 30k, but more than likely 45-50k. We are in our mid 30s and enjoy an active adventurous lifestyle, we are not gamblers, we enjoy to watch a few shows occasionaly and eating out. Also enjoy the attractions outside of the city as we are outdoorsy people. So there is some more info on the kind of lifestyle we live, any input would be super helpful, Thanks Much

Old 09-21-2012, 08:59 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,083,141 times
You should be fine as it sounds like you'll be less than $2500 a month which is a years worth of expenses. Also, both of you should be able to find jobs and while they may not be in your respective fields it'll take less of a bite out of savings until you find something more permanent.

Good luck on the move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas