Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2012, 08:30 AM

151 posts, read 299,278 times

Advertisements

I'm recently divorced after 37 years and all I have to show for it is $200000 and a modest CPA business. My job doesn't require me to be geographically located in one place. I have looked at lifestyles all over the southwest and I am choosing Las Vegas.

The main reason I am choosing Vegas are the bright line contrasts. The desert can be a living void and offers much to someone with the ability to interpret it. This contrasts with urban Vegas, a postmodern symbol and the actual pulsing world center for material sensual indulgence. Although I spent most of my life earning a living as a tax CPA, I'm going to make some use of my masters in fine arts, in my twilight years. I am 60.

I'm a native Angelino (i.e. from Los Angeles). I have been coming to Las Vegas since they dealt single deck black jack at age 16.

These are some parameters if you can see a fit with a certain area , thanks in advance:

I dont want to spend more than $200k
I can live in a 2bdrm 2 ba 800 to 1000 feet
I can go with a townhome solution rather than a single family residence. But a single family residence means no homeowners dues.
I like working out at my own gyms and I dont play golf. I dont need many amenities
I will probably open a second office. If people have tax problems (e.g. the IRS hassling them I can build a business).

I have contacted a realtor in Henderson yesterday. I'm coming up for a tax seminar later this month. Thanks in advance for all of your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 10:16 AM

421 posts, read 898,436 times
Easy to find a single family home for under 200,000, although probably not as easy as in Las Vegas itself. Go to Redfin.com or Trulia.com to find current listings. Realtor.com has mostly homes with offers already on them.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:23 AM

932 posts, read 2,347,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oomph View Post
I can go with a townhome solution rather than a single family residence. But a single family residence means no homeowners dues.
Not true for most newer properties. HOAs abound here. There are areas that don't have them, but they're getting harder to find. So prepare accordingly.

Some of them are minimal. I used to live in a non-gated area of Summerlin and paid $39 a month, which basically covered maintenance on a park at the end of my street. In other areas, such as Spanish Trail in Spring Valley, which is guard-gated, you'll be paying several hundred dollars a month.

Good luck with your move.

Old 11-15-2012, 07:15 PM

419 posts, read 906,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oomph View Post
....I will probably open a second office. If people have tax problems (e.g. the IRS hassling them I can build a business)....
You can build a tax practice in Las Vegas then, since I'll bet there's plenty of people with tax issues.
I thought I read somewhere that Nevada has a very high rate of tax auditing by the IRS too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: