Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 09:08 PM

7 posts, read 8,102 times

Advertisements

Hi! My boyfriend and I have decided to relocate to LV in the not to far future to be closer to family and to help my mother care for my disabled brother, and (as previously mentioned) I am terrified! I absolutely hate the the town I am in, however it is all I know. Also we both will be leaving steady employment with decent pay (living in Ca decent just isn't quite enough). Don't get me wrong, I am completely excited to start a new life in a new town!
I will have (a small amount) help from family however I refuse to "suck the tit dry" so to speak. I have always tried to be an independant woman, but it seems the move date creeps closer and closer and the planning is not going as fast as the days fly by.
Enough of my "woe is me" rambling.

I would welcome any advice from my soon to be fellow las vegans. (Las Vegans? Is that even right?). LOL!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 09:25 PM

1,245 posts, read 1,828,374 times
If I were you I would be terrified too. You need more than a "wing and a prayer." You need jobs line up.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview6 View Post
If I were you I would be terrified too. You need more than a "wing and a prayer." You need jobs line up.
I know this and I have started the job hunt online and as I've stated in my original post, I will be moving closer to family, so I will have a couple of connections throwing our names out there.. No bite yet. This is the scarriest part. Also I have spoken with the HR person at my company and I am in line for a transfer at the LV building of my company..

I wonder, though... Is it true that you can get unemployment benefits for relocating?

Old 12-18-2012, 09:49 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzlepiece2217 View Post

I wonder, though... Is it true that you can get unemployment benefits for relocating?
I'm speaking from past familiarity with unemployment laws in my state, yours may differ. It doesn't sound like your situation falls into the very narrow category of a quit for "compelling personal reasons" which qualifies for unemployment. And, if you are transferring you aren't quitting anyway, so that would not apply.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I'm speaking from past familiarity with unemployment laws in my state, yours may differ. It doesn't sound like your situation falls into the very narrow category of a quit for "compelling personal reasons" which qualifies for unemployment. And, if you are transferring you aren't quitting anyway, so that would not apply.
I am not guaranteed a transfer.. Only if there are any available positions, which is why I am job hunting still. I just want to have all of my ducks in a row in case one thing or other doesn't pan out.

And wouldn't "the care of my disabled brother" be pretty compelling?

Old 12-18-2012, 10:13 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzlepiece2217 View Post
I am not guaranteed a transfer.. Only if there are any available positions, which is why I am job hunting still. I just want to have all of my ducks in a row in case one thing or other doesn't pan out.

And wouldn't "the care of my disabled brother" be pretty compelling?
I don't think that would be enough, actually, going by my memory, but you need to do some research on CA unemployment and see what their regulations say. Get a job or transfer lined up, don't count on unemployment.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I don't think that would be enough, actually, going by my memory, but you need to do some research on CA unemployment and see what their regulations say. Get a job or transfer lined up, don't count on unemployment.
Working on it.. Thanks.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:42 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,992,760 times
While you probably qualify for FMLA, that doesn't provide a stream of income or help with unemployment benefits.

Moving to this town without a job lined up is a very risky proposition. Even with a job lined up, things can go sideways. Are you in a high demand field -- healthcare or similar?

Old 12-18-2012, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
While you probably qualify for FMLA, that doesn't provide a stream of income or help with unemployment benefits.

Moving to this town without a job lined up is a very risky proposition. Even with a job lined up, things can go sideways. Are you in a high demand field -- healthcare or similar?
Healthcare.. I have worked in skilled nursing facilities all my (adult) life. And my bf is a skilled tradesman specializing in wood finishes..

Old 12-18-2012, 11:18 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,962,597 times
Myself i wouldn't consider anyone other than a spouse when it comes to major life decisions. Yet that's just me. My suggestion is if you want to move to LV then plan your move and anything beyond that is gravey.

Don't get me wrong I have no idea what your relationship is but there's a major difference between a boyfriend and a husband.. Yet what do i know??????????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas