Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2013, 09:21 AM

3 posts, read 3,426 times

Advertisements

My family and I are considering moving to las Vegas. The questions I have about las vegas are the following:

1. is it relatively safe? meaning can my mother and sister live there and not be robbed or shot etc?

2. I like to go out where I live here and would like to wherever I move, I have read that its $50 to get into clubs there is that true? if so how much is standard cover charge and or the average drink in las vegas?

3. Is the economy growing again? are there jobs available?

4. My brother also has bit of a criminal record from when he was younger and quite stupid. We are thinking that it may be a little bit easier for him to find a job there, compared to here in omaha where it is much more reserved than las vegas, would appreciate others opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 09:37 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,034,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eperkins153 View Post
1. is it relatively safe? meaning can my mother and sister live there and not be robbed or shot etc?
They say that there are no stupid questions, but I think that yours is the exception to the rule. What do you expect a response to be: Yes, Vegas is akin to Beirut and every woman and child who lives here is likely to get robbed or shot.

I'm sorry, but when you pose a question like that you forfeit your right to receive legitimate responses to your inquiries.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:59 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,135,152 times
Quote:
My family and I are considering moving to las Vegas. The questions I have about las vegas are the following:

4. My brother also has bit of a criminal record from when he was younger and quite stupid. We are thinking that it may be a little bit easier for him to find a job there, compared to here in omaha where it is much more reserved than las vegas, would appreciate others opinions.
Las Vegas is one of the worst possible places to try to find a job when you have a criminal record. Use the search function on here and look up Sheriff's card and / or felony.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:00 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,135,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
They say that there are no stupid questions,
The person who coined that phrase never worked in IT support.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:00 AM

21 posts, read 37,853 times
Quote:

1. is it relatively safe?
Yes, but "relative" to what?

Quote:
meaning can my mother and sister live there and not be robbed or shot etc?
Yes.

Quote:
2. I like to go out where I live here and would like to wherever I move, I have read that its $50 to get into clubs there is that true?
No.

Quote:
if so how much is standard cover charge and or the average drink in las vegas?
The same as any other major city sans the more exclusive strip joints catering to tourists. Locals are often waived cover charge depending on the night of the week or the club in question. Google is your friend [mod cut-- rude].

Quote:
3. Is the economy growing again?
No.

Quote:
are there jobs available?
Yes.

Quote:
If anything it will be more difficult to obtain work suitable for a criminal in Las Vegas than Omaha due to the size of the eligible labor pool. Strip properties can afford to cherry pick the best-of-the-best and the high unemployment rate means people are more likely to take lower pay. Jobs typically left on the floor are scooped up by people who were "too good" for that work 5 years ago.

My opinion is you should stay in Omaha until you've taken the time & effort to better understand where you're planning to move; without relying so readily upon others.

Good Luck!

Last edited by observer53; 01-08-2013 at 10:43 AM..

Old 01-08-2013, 10:14 AM

1,009 posts, read 4,040,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
They say that there are no stupid questions, but I think that yours is the exception to the rule.
Pretty much typical for the "considering" crowd! Many will not even make an effort to review previous related forum discussions . . clicking Search This Forum and entering the term "safe" for example.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:45 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,446,263 times
For many of your questions, there are existing threads that will give you a great deal of information. Use the search button, click on advanced search, and make the appropriate choices.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:17 AM

3 posts, read 3,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornersLow View Post
Yes, but "relative" to what?

Yes.

No.

The same as any other major city sans the more exclusive strip joints catering to tourists. Locals are often waived cover charge depending on the night of the week or the club in question. Google is your friend [mod cut-- rude].

No.

Yes.

If anything it will be more difficult to obtain work suitable for a criminal in Las Vegas than Omaha due to the size of the eligible labor pool. Strip properties can afford to cherry pick the best-of-the-best and the high unemployment rate means people are more likely to take lower pay. Jobs typically left on the floor are scooped up by people who were "too good" for that work 5 years ago.

My opinion is you should stay in Omaha until you've taken the time & effort to better understand where you're planning to move; without relying so readily upon others.

Good Luck!
Thank you! For the numerous amount of replies yours was the only helpful one. Appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: