Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2021, 12:29 PM

1,086 posts, read 746,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
I thought that too, but it looks like everything is an hoa. I want to buy a piece of land 3/4 - 1 acre and build a 4500sf barndominium. There are some amazing ones. Google realtor.com barndominium.
Barndominium looks very cool!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2021, 12:43 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,054,214 times
Quote:
I thought that too, but it looks like everything is an hoa. I want to buy a piece of land 3/4 - 1 acre and build a 4500sf barndominium. There are some amazing ones. Google realtor.com barndominium.

If that's what you want, you might check the Arizona side of the border?

Old 01-29-2021, 10:42 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,636,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuruChicken View Post
spcdoctor, it's going to be especially hard to have any get togethers now with covid. I'm guessing people aren't planning dinners or parties right now. I've been in my new subdivision for a year and finally hit it off with some neighbors after about 6 months. We've had coffee on the patio and outdoor dinners and drinks to try to stay socially distant.

A few other neighbors will chat outside for a bit but nobody is inviting others to hang out. Pretty sad. There are a few of us in the area who want to know our neighbors. Any chance you live in the far southwest area of LV?
I feel the same way. We have some really nice neighbors, but I also want to be respectful of everyone else’s risk tolerance and space at this time. I personally don’t care at all, I’m more worried about finding the cold side of the pillow or having the space to download more video games on my Series X than I am Coronasniffles, but other people might have health risks or be older or just paralyzed by CNN lol so I don’t really want to go door to door and throw some big party. I’m certainly excited for when the nothing burger is over though so we can maybe form some friendships with neighbors or, well, anyone at all for that matter. My “I just moved to Vegas and looking to make friends” thing was never a thing at all, so now I’m just going to hit 2 years here without having even tried because of what I see as absolute nonsense.

Old 01-30-2021, 08:42 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,043,681 times
Don't expect your neighbors to think or act like you--you will never be disappointed.

Old 02-01-2021, 03:54 AM

23,219 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post
Could also be the lack of parks, or anything that draws neighbors/communties together.

Personally I find the smaller the city/town, the more friendly the people. I think that's a universal truth.
I've actually found that being around more poor people, the friendlier they are.

Old 02-02-2021, 12:00 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post
Could also be the lack of parks, or anything that draws neighbors/communties together.

Personally I find the smaller the city/town, the more friendly the people. I think that's a universal truth.
I’m in a tourist town. Located where all the manatees are.

Old 02-02-2021, 01:39 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Got to take all this with a grain of salt.

Our cul de sac is very integrated and supportive. For instance when we got flooded in 2004 we were unfortunately across town. Neighbor opened the house (had a key) and saw to the animals and then stopped the flow into the home pretty much. When we got home about everything doable had been done..

Nowadays we share lots of stuff. The next door neighbor and I share a gardener who he got referenced from me. He also has a commercial service that comes in once a month to do his 8 vehicles. He shares them with me and if I wish they clean my car. Do a wonderful job and cheap. When stuff needs doing to the tract like well problems or needing road work the three of us get together and agree. We use the well fund and an assessment to pay for it. Our fourth house is a 10 bed nursing home owned by an MD. He does not generally participate but pays his share.

Mostly the whole area is RNP (Rural Neighborhood Preserve). Their are HOAs though pretty much all are gated developments. The RNP rules involve half acre minimum lots. No sidewalks or street lights. And there is a soft easement on both sides of the road around 12 feet wide. Nominally to allow easy equestrian traffic though that is a good bit less than it was 20 years ago. You can also have horses or other creatures. Got a couple of goats down the block which like my dog and he likes them. Have a grand party at the fence when we walk past.

Old 02-02-2021, 03:20 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,030,668 times
Quote:
I’m in a tourist town. Located where all the manatees are.
Did you mean to say 'amenities', or that you have manatee tourists?

Old 02-02-2021, 03:26 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Did you mean to say 'amenities', or that you have manatee tourists?
He meant manatee. He is a bit north of south Florida

Old 06-18-2021, 11:23 AM

5 posts, read 7,139 times
Where's a good place to meet and chat with people in Mesquite? Would like to meet some folks and get to know the community before I make the commitment to settle. Cost of living is important since I am limited. Thanks to all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas