Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 11:38 AM

306 posts, read 433,912 times

Advertisements

As much as I will admit to my guilty pleasures of watching Honey Boo Boo, the Real Housewives of Something, Hoarders, Toddlers and Tiaras, etc., I just cannot justify spending $80 per month on Cox Cable. I don't have a digital television (I know, who doesn't have one in this day and age? Me, that's who), so I can't pick up the local channels. When I tried to use just an antenna, my box television met me with no signals. The Cox cable rep explained something about there not being anymore free television and you have to have cable to have television.

Well, I'm trying to be financially responsible and make good choices. Are there any recommendations or suggestions as to how I can enjoy some form of television without paying a mint? I do have internet service because I have a school aged child.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 11:46 AM

233 posts, read 497,946 times
We have netflix streaming and Hulu. We don't watch a lot of TV so it works out well for us. I'm sure there are probably others, but those are what we have. Good luck in your search!

Old 01-19-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trisha0608 View Post
We have netflix streaming and Hulu. We don't watch a lot of TV so it works out well for us. I'm sure there are probably others, but those are what we have. Good luck in your search!
That has been suggested, thank you! Is a digital tv a requirement to have netflix?

Old 01-19-2013, 11:57 AM

727 posts, read 1,056,959 times
The reason you didn't get a signal is because you have an analog tv and the over the air signal is digital. The signal was changed to digital a few years ago and for awhile the government was giving away free converter boxes. I don't think you can get a free one anymore.

I am not an expert on this subject but I don't think the Cox rep was telling you the truth. You can get a converter box that converts over the air digital signals to analog. I don't know what the best deal is but here are some examples from Amazon:

Amazon.com: Analog-to-Digital (DTV) Converters: Televisions & Video

Can someone recommend the best way to do this?

Last edited by newopty; 01-19-2013 at 12:06 PM..

Old 01-19-2013, 12:06 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,712,096 times
I thought the basic package is about $24? I'm not sure what channels you want, but it may be good enough. I personally only watch sports channels and I use the internet for those programs that are blacked out in the Las Vegas area. There are many ways to get tv broadcasts over the internet if your savvy enough to know how to get them.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:07 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,992,760 times
What happened to all those converter boxes that were distributed when the signal switched over? Surely you can lay your hands on one of those fairly inexpensively.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newopty View Post
The reason you didn't get a signal is because you have an analog tv and the over the air signal is digital. The signal was changed to digital a few years ago and for awhile the government was giving away free converter boxes. I don't think you can get a free one anymore.

I am not an expert on this subject but I don't think the Cox rep was telling you the truth. You can get a converter box that converts over the air digital signals to analog. I don't know what the best deal is but here are some examples from Amazon:

Amazon.com: Analog-to-Digital (DTV) Converters: Televisions & Video

Can someone recommend the best way to do this?
Thank you. I thought it was odd that it was almost being suggested cable was mandatory in order to watch tv. I have a converter box, I think it needs a cord. I will give that a try.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA702 View Post
I thought the basic package is about $24? I'm not sure what channels you want, but it may be good enough. I personally only watch sports channels and I use the internet for those programs that are blacked out in the Las Vegas area. There are many ways to get tv broadcasts over the internet if your savvy enough to know how to get them.
I asked for THE most basic package they had. I just needed it to at least include Disney and some other family friendly channels. I don't watch any kind of sport nor do I need any movie packages. For the most part, I watch 30 minute episodic shows that are no longer being made, i.e., The Adventures of New Christine, The King of Queens, etc.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:51 PM

611 posts, read 951,149 times
Yes, as mentioned above, we pay $24 a month for basic from Cox locked in for a 3 yr contract. This works out well since we're only at our condo varied times throughout the year being seasonal residents.

Old 01-19-2013, 01:14 PM

727 posts, read 1,056,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmalik View Post
I asked for THE most basic package they had. I just needed it to at least include Disney and some other family friendly channels. I don't watch any kind of sport nor do I need any movie packages. For the most part, I watch 30 minute episodic shows that are no longer being made, i.e., The Adventures of New Christine, The King of Queens, etc.
I have not checked Cox but have had this problem with various cable and satellite companies. They don't offer a la carte pricing so when you want a particular channel you have to take a package that includes it. Of course, that makes it more expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas