Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 06:34 PM

3 posts, read 6,921 times

Advertisements

First off, how is it going everyone? Ok, before I bombard you with questions, I have no problem with long descriptive answers. I want to get as much information as I can before I make the trip. So type on my Soon to be Vegan friends.

Well I'm currently living in NYC. I have 6 reasons why I want to move to Vegas.

I'm looking to move to Vegas soon...sometime within the next couple of months. I want to start fresh and believe Vegas would be the ideal place to do so. One, it's similar to NYC in that I can get anything I want at any time of night (mostly anything). *It's huge on nightlife and it doesn't break the bank to live there. *I'm talking $1,000 a month for starters...I figured any min wage job ($8-10) should cover an apartment, food, transportation (bus) and the essentials until I can find something that pays more handsomely. *

Reason 1: *I've read about the diversity of the residents. Something I am used to living in NYC.

Reason 2: the weather is more pleasant yearly than in NYC, and that'll be a huge but nice change

Reason 3: I got accepted to a few colleges for my major (Accounting) with full tuition already in Vegas. *I was academically dismissed from the CUNY schools here in NYC for falling below the required gpa. (I stopped attending because I thought I had landed my dream job with Siemens IT making 40K entry, only to be laid off two years later and forced to work low level retail until I obtained a degree. Which I haven't yet)

Reason 4: the housing is very affordable and you get wayyyy more bang for your buck. *I mean $400-$1000 for a single or triple BR including balcony, parking, washer, dryer and clean streets would rent for $1800+ in NYC. Plus some apartments in Vegas include on site pools and fitness centers. Now that's living!!

Reason 5: the *24/hour convenience. Something I would love...I am naturally a night person. So being able to go eat waffles (yes, I love waffles) or go bowling at 2am would be like heaven lol.*

Reason 6: hot woman and nightlife. I am not one to blow my $$$ on strippers, booze and drugs. (well maybe the occasional 420) but being able to go out when I wanted is a huge plus for me. I mean I'm only 26, I am not looking to settle down anytime soon.*

Also, I want to know...what does a typical day in Vegas consist of (for working folk)?

What time of the year are the apartments the cheapest?

What are my entertainment options?

How much should I have in saving before moving?

How is the nightlife (M-F) and the weekends?

How diverse is the culture?

What are the average prices of 1BR apartments and the amenities?

What are the pros and cons of being "brand new"?

How quickly could I find work without a degree? (I have years of experience working IT and retail).

I know I am asking a lot. But I really just want to move, work and live comfortably while finishing my accounting degree and find a job within my field once I graduate. I can do that in NYC. But as a single male living on my own. It's very difficult (financially). *Plus life is too short to stay in one city over a quarter of a century...

Thanks Guys. Also, I am willing to email anyone back and forth for further incite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 07:17 PM

1,009 posts, read 4,038,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technologyking View Post
I know I am asking a lot.
As frequently as some of your queries are re-posted, it does not appear that you have made much of an effort to review previous forum discussions.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:14 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
Here, let me answer all the questions you asked that haven't not been asked and answered 50 times in the past six months.

Done.

Anything else?

Seriously -- "What are my entertainment options?" Does Google not work where you live?
"What is a typical work day like?" For who? A stripper? A cop? A chef?

I will tell you this. The big problem with being a newbie in Las Vegas is that nobody thinks you're going to last through a summer here. It is much easier to find work after you have lived here for awhile. It's not impossible. But your lack of a degree is strike one, being a newbie is strike two. You'd better bring some useful skills to the table.

Old 02-24-2013, 02:17 AM

2,719 posts, read 3,491,051 times
@Tech

You will love the inexpensive food 24/7, affordable housing, weather, nightlife on and off the Strip, diversity of people on and off the Strip, festivals from different cultures and outdoor activities even during Summer time. Goodluck!

Old 02-24-2013, 08:48 AM

421 posts, read 898,612 times
You HAVE to have a car to live here and survive.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:20 AM

15,849 posts, read 14,479,382 times
TK,

I live in NYC also, and will likely move to Vegas at some point. I've been there several times, and make a point to get off the strip and out into the metro area. Some issues.

Do you have, are you planning to, and do you have the resources to buy and maintain a car. Vegas is NOT NYC. It may be possible to survive and barely function without a car, but you'll be severely hamstrung in pretty much every aspect of life in Vegas without one. The place is not built on a pedestrian scale. It's, from an NYC perpective, one big sprawling suburb. Think about living out on the Island, say in western Suffolk county, without a car, and you'll get the picture, except maybe worse than that.

What do you plan to do for a living? The economy out there isn't great, and there's lots of competition for every entry level job. Be prepared to float yourself for at least six months before heading out there.

One thing to consider, from a locals standpoint, socially, Vegas is something of a sausage fest. For a long time, one of the biggest industries was construction which brought a lot of guys out there. Also, a lot of the recreational options appeal to guys more than women. It's also something of a major retirement destination, so the old people factor is higher. Yes, they won't likely be hanging out in the same places your are, but, again, from locals standpoint, the city caters to them more than young people. For example, there isn't any real young hip urban neighborhood in Vegas, like there are several of in NYC (the Village, LES, Soho, Williamsburg, etc.).

Old 02-24-2013, 12:31 PM

3 posts, read 6,921 times
BBMW

I appreciate you actually answering my questions without the flaming. I currently reside in LI. I do have a car, I drive a Landrover discovery. But I was planning on selling it because it's a V8 and only takes premium gas. Driving cross country in that thing would suck money out of me faster than a "gold digger addicted to crack"... I get what you're saying as far as the infrastructure of LV. So I'll def need a car, right! I was planning to move with @ least $5000 in my pocket and figured I could at least work at BurgerKing. I mean workers come and go at those types of businesses regardless of location so being a newbie I thought wouldn't Hirt my chances. Im living off min wage in NYC already so I figure my money would stretch over there until I found something within my field.

Hmmm...you've def given me something to think about. Hopefully I'll get more replies from locals. Actual replies and not rude comments.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:43 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
in EVeRY rude comment, rings a tiny bell of truth......If you can't take the comments [made because we actually get tired of answering the same inane questions over and over and over ad finitum] then you will NEVER survive las vegas.

and 5K to make the moves only means that you will NEVER survive the move.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:43 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
There was recently a line of 200 people vying for the chance at 12 positions at McDonald's.

It is possible to be hired from out of state directly into a decent job in Las Vegas. There are people who post here who have done it. For most people, though, it is a question of knowing people and networking your way in. Or having the skills that Las Vegas is looking for. A great line cook can make a phone call and get a $20/hr job tomorrow in Las Vegas. But you'll need a specific skill set for that kind of easy job search.

The sorts of questions you're asking tell me that you haven't done ANY research on your own. When you start asking better questions, you'll start getting better answers. Right know your questions smack of, "Please do all my research for for me."

Old 02-24-2013, 01:27 PM

557 posts, read 793,551 times
Well ,do you live in NYC or LI ? You said both in you posts. I lived on LI for over 40 years and moved to Southern Nevada last July. After reading your 2 threads please stay in NYC or LI , I have seen your type come and go faster than a NY minute. If you must move here you will need 1 years living expense to have a CHANCE. Pay your dues in life first and Vegas will be here for you at that time . Good luck.

Last edited by Onlyliveonce; 02-24-2013 at 01:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: