Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 06:40 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,162,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
I don't know how anyone could "hate" a place?
If Afghanistan blew up tomorrow a would probably have a little celebration the following day.

Sent from rotary phone...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 07:58 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,719,218 times
Speaking of the heat...

I've mentioned this before, but I'll say it again.

We spent three weeks in Las Vegas last summer. It was 106 for a few days and I think it stayed at or above 100 the whole time.

Sure it was hot, but it wasn't 98 degrees and 60% humidity, which means it was fairly comfortable. Would I spend my days outside? No. We did spend almost every morning on the patio until 10:00 or so. Something we don't do here because of that darn humidity. We also spent evenings on the patio. One night until 2:00am drinking wine... The crew was there to do the yard work at 8:00. Sheesh!!

The comments about the horrendous heat throw me. Granted I've not been there when it's 117, but if I was I sure as Hell wouldn't be out wandering around in it. No more so than I wander around here when the heat and humidity are high.

You do have to use some common sense.

Old 03-26-2013, 04:51 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,808,996 times
Tech Freak, well said nothing sucks more than waking up in the morning and having it 80 degrees with high humidity it just sucks the energy out of you. The big problem back east is you do not get to Acclimate very well because the weather does not stay constant and the warm just appears not like here in the SW where the warm happens gradually over time. Back east your clothing on you feels wet and you sweat like a pig with your underwear sticking to you Going into the shade helps some but the humidity still affects you. When it rains it makes it worse because the humidity rises before it rains. With the dry heat at least your clothing feel good. I always felt A/C back east made it worse on the body because of the shock you would get when you had to go outside. Here in the SW keeping the A/C on 85 is the norm back east the A/C on 85 would not work OK what is the next weather thing we all can ***** about

Old 03-26-2013, 05:20 AM

526 posts, read 833,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishspy View Post
OK what is the next weather thing we all can ***** about
How about the lack of DISASTERS!

No Hurricanes (which just the THREAT increased my House insurance 3 fold back east)
No Tornadoes
No Large Earthquakes
No Blizzards

ETC........

Old 03-26-2013, 11:14 PM

1,609 posts, read 2,017,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
. I've ordered some 100+ temps for my visit in May. Hope it arrives!
I'm sorry, I hope the 100's don't come that early, good grief!

Old 03-27-2013, 10:31 AM

Come on Tim you got that pool to float around in I heard also the 91 year old women don't go out when it reaches 100 degrees so I ought to be safe on Fremont ST. Think this way warmer weather less clothes on the Ladies to look at more Eye Candy Now how to treat the stiff neck from doing this See you soon hopefully

Old 03-28-2013, 12:02 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,950,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverChicagoWeather View Post
Wow -- thanks for all the tips. Some of those things I would have never thought of ..like the lighter, my son does that ALL the time here. CD in the changer would not have occurred to me either -- till it was too late.

LoL, I wish there was still a possibility of crayons being left in the car.
Put the crayons in a cupcake tin...they will all melt together and you will have crayon circles with all different colors! Nothing wasted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by webberdock View Post
Who said I hate Las Vegas. I'm just saying that OP report is just another cheerleading read and nothing else. From his previous posts you can see he lives between LV and NY.

Also summers here are simply deadly. Starting in mid-May, temperatures begin to top 100 degrees or more before returning to the 90s in September.

There is a reason why summer months are considered off season in Las Vegas. It's not very pleasant outside
and it's hot as hell.
They are not deadly. That is just exaggerating. Below 20 is deadly. Ice storms are deadly. Tornadoes are deadly. Continuous gray skies are depressing. YOU may not like the heat, but you can survive them, quite easily. Use your head. So you might have to put a car shade up, but at least you don't HAVE to stand out in the snow, sleet, icy wind while you HAVE to clear your windshield of the crap before you can drive home from the grocery store or your place of employment and then have to stop and bang your wipers to get the ice build up off of them so you can safely continue your commute....FAR more annoying, IMO.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:16 AM

Don't forget having to walk the dog in cold freezing weather with snow everywhere and ice especially at night. The constant struggle of keeping the car running correct making sure the Anti-Freeze (not coolant) is set correct your battery is not old and ready to fail it surely will as soon as it gets about 10 to 15 degrees then adding dry gas to your gas so the gas lines do not freeze up over night and plugging in your car to an electrical outlet to keep your oil warm so you start better. Their is the cost of fuel Kerosene or Fuel Oil on top of the electrical cost to run the furnace. The cold weather last much longer than the heat does in the SW. Why do you think people are moving out here from cold weather places and also so What if folks become sun birds and do go back East during summer it is no different than snow birds going to warmer areas in the winter I plan on my pool to be my salvation just like a wood stove in colder areas to keep warm.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:54 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,893,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishspy View Post
Don't forget having to walk the dog in cold freezing weather with snow everywhere and ice especially at night. The constant struggle of keeping the car running correct making sure the Anti-Freeze (not coolant) is set correct your battery is not old and ready to fail it surely will as soon as it gets about 10 to 15 degrees then adding dry gas to your gas so the gas lines do not freeze up over night and plugging in your car to an electrical outlet to keep your oil warm so you start better. Their is the cost of fuel Kerosene or Fuel Oil on top of the electrical cost to run the furnace. The cold weather last much longer than the heat does in the SW. Why do you think people are moving out here from cold weather places and also so What if folks become sun birds and do go back East during summer it is no different than snow birds going to warmer areas in the winter I plan on my pool to be my salvation just like a wood stove in colder areas to keep warm.
Few places in the country are this bad, you just seem to have come from one of them. For most of us winterizing a car is putting in different windshield wiper fluid. Yes there are cold periods and they can happen for periods of days over a number of months, but most of the time in the vast majority of the population centers in the country winter has days above freezing and there is no little or no snow on the ground.

I live now in a place many Las Vegans say is intolerably cold. I have turned on my heater for maybe 10 days this winter. I have scraped ice or brushed snow off my windshield maybe 15 mornings. I have gone out on my bike at least as many times since November. Winter has plenty of nice days mixed in. Summer in Vegas has very few nice days.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:13 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,301,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Few places in the country are this bad, you just seem to have come from one of them. For most of us winterizing a car is putting in different windshield wiper fluid. Yes there are cold periods and they can happen for periods of days over a number of months, but most of the time in the vast majority of the population centers in the country winter has days above freezing and there is no little or no snow on the ground.

I live now in a place many Las Vegans say is intolerably cold. I have turned on my heater for maybe 10 days this winter. I have scraped ice or brushed snow off my windshield maybe 15 mornings. I have gone out on my bike at least as many times since November. Winter has plenty of nice days mixed in. Summer in Vegas has very few nice days.
Few places are like this? Okay, you must consider MN, WI, MI, IL, IN, KS, NB, SD, ND, and all of northern New England just a "few". With the exception of last winter, which was wonderfully mild, it is most certainly below freezing for months and there is generally snow on the ground from Nov-March because it doesnt get warm enough to melt. We know here to make sure the antifreeze is correct and know better than to start a car on a -10 degree day if the battery is too old
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas