Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 03:56 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times

Advertisements

Have never seen a buzzworm in town, but have seen them in the desert and mountains around here. Other cities, such as in the south, you'll see them in parking lots and in people's yards, but they aren't all over the place here. If you live in a new development, especially near the edge of town, you could see one. They aren't aggressive, but if you touch them accidentally they will strike. Don't put your hands anywhere you can't see into. I worry more about my dogs as they sniff every bush.

Be alert - rattlesnakes enjoy pleasant spring weather in the desert, too | Las Vegas Review-Journal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 10:50 PM

20 posts, read 28,505 times
Has anyone in Henderson, east of S. Racetrack road ever seen one on or near their propertry?

Old 04-04-2013, 10:56 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,289,591 times
The only place I have ever seen any snakes is at Lake Mead. Never a rattlesnake, but that one I shared a restroom with last summer was as big as a rattlesnake, but it was the type of snake that killed rattlesnakes. It was cute.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:32 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,569,037 times
I actually had the same thought and it's one of the reasons I haven't gone hiking with my dogs loose in the desert so far this year.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:53 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,122,874 times
The Mojave Green is a nasty one. It's venom is a neurotoxin like that of a cobra. Fortunately, they are shy and you almost have to go out of your way to encounter one.

For those that are concerned about hiking in the higher elevations with their dogs, my vet had a poster up that offers vaccinations against snake bites. I don't know much about it, but here's their website if you want to contact them. Las Vegas Veterinarians - Las Vegas Veterinarians - Ann Road Animal Hospital, Las Vegas NV

Old 04-05-2013, 08:47 AM

2,180 posts, read 4,537,916 times
for sure keep your pets away from bushes and noisy sounds. the face is a terrible place to get a bite.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:57 AM

20 posts, read 28,505 times
If you see one on or near your property, is it against the law to kill it?

I know that all creatures on our planet are here for a purpose. I even go out of my way to avoid running over possums and squirrels. Even when I find a spider in my house, I'll usually catch it in a cup, and let it loose outside.

But I've always had a fear of venomous snakes. Even though I live in CT, which is supposed to harbor some rattlesnakes and copperheads, I have never in my 57 years ever encountered one in all my travels. And I do a LOT of walking in the woods (with and without my 2 dogs) so they must be rare.

Never having any experiences encountering any venomous reptiles, I wonder how I'd react if I was walking on the many trails in and around Henderson, and heard the ominous rattle? Or worse, almost step on one! Would it be a terrifying experience, would react calmly, or freak out? Just something to think about.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:55 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,296,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu View Post
for sure keep your pets away from bushes and noisy sounds. the face is a terrible place to get a bite.
WOW! This is good advice. Last summer I had to beat a couple of attacking raccoons off of my 6 pound chihuahua, I can't imagine having to fight off a snake.

Old 04-05-2013, 02:27 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,569,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
The Mojave Green is a nasty one. It's venom is a neurotoxin like that of a cobra. Fortunately, they are shy and you almost have to go out of your way to encounter one.

For those that are concerned about hiking in the higher elevations with their dogs, my vet had a poster up that offers vaccinations against snake bites. I don't know much about it, but here's their website if you want to contact them. Las Vegas Veterinarians - Las Vegas Veterinarians - Ann Road Animal Hospital, Las Vegas NV
Yeah, it's not a bad idea. At best though it buys you some time. I would be curious to know how much time it buys you while rushing to the vet and how many varieties of venomous snakes we have here since one vaccine is not likely to cover all of them equally.

Old 04-05-2013, 03:06 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,122,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
Yeah, it's not a bad idea. At best though it buys you some time. I would be curious to know how much time it buys you while rushing to the vet and how many varieties of venomous snakes we have here since one vaccine is not likely to cover all of them equally.
Four varieties of venomous snakes from what I understand, and the anti-venoms they give you in the hospital are supposed to be effective on all four. I don't know if the vet variety is effective on all of them.

Honestly though, unless you are traipsing through the desert at the higher elevations during the cooler hours, you and your dog are highly unlikely to encounter a snake. ( Except in political office. Lots of them there)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas