Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 07:10 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,561,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovegarlic View Post
There is a glut of everything in LV, thanks to the over exuberance of the past decade.

Recently there was a law enacted that prevented banks from going forward with foreclosures and that led to a decrease in the number of available homes for sale. When that "artificial" stop gap passes, watch as prices for homes dip quarter over quarter again.

If you have cash in hand, stick around.
If her son is living with her, he can try to play a waiting game. If he's renting a place then that waiting game is costing him rent to the tune of 10k/year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 07:38 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,178,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
I just closed a VA no money down on a 2 year old house in Providence for $230,000. It is messy but doable. Things like HUD and Homepath are often very helpful. Look for stuff that has been around a while. It is virtually always overpriced but you don't have to pay list...and you can make it clear it has to appraise.
For a VA loan, that's impressive. I have heard of VA not approving because of missing smoke detectors and missing water heater straps.

Very difficult.

Motorola DynaTAC 8000x

Old 04-24-2013, 07:45 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,832,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
For a VA loan, that's impressive. I have heard of VA not approving because of missing smoke detectors and missing water heater straps.

Very difficult.

Motorola DynaTAC 8000x
This one had a complex solar electric system...try getting that past VA.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:18 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,561,603 times
Quote:

Very difficult.

Motorola DynaTAC 8000x
I'm sure glad the regulatory board is making sure water heaters have earthquake straps. $175 to get a permit for a new water heater just so code enforcement can see that it's strapped to the wall.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:20 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,902,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovegarlic View Post
... I Love LV but let's face it, it is the land of shysters and spinners and scammers.
I don't understand; you say that as if it were a bad thing.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
I'm sure glad the regulatory board is making sure water heaters have earthquake straps. $175 to get a permit for a new water heater just so code enforcement can see that it's strapped to the wall.
Yep...

My home was also missing a smoke detector, I knew it would not appraise without it so I went out and bought one, right after the offer was accepted.

Motorola DynaTAC 8000x

Old 04-24-2013, 08:47 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,832,471 times
Quote:
Yep...

My home was also missing a smoke detector, I knew it would not appraise without it so I went out and bought one, right after the offer was accepted.

Motorola DynaTAC 8000x
A few years ago a client was trying to buy a small home in El Dorado. But the kitchen sink faucet was gone hopelessly. So in we crept one afternoon and literally removed the old unit with a cold chisel and a hammer. After ten minutes of bashing that fixture we got it out and installed a shiny new one. . The property closed with no problem.

Then the contractor moved in and basically replaced the master bath and the kitchen...

Old 04-24-2013, 08:52 PM

207 posts, read 509,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I don't understand; you say that as if it were a bad thing.
It's either good or bad depending on what side of the fence you're standing but to know LV for what it really is will save yourself from future marriage dissolution and bankruptcies and triple coronary bypasses, and that's just the stuff that won't kill you.

Last edited by ilovegarlic; 04-24-2013 at 09:41 PM..

Old 04-24-2013, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
A few years ago a client was trying to buy a small home in El Dorado. But the kitchen sink faucet was gone hopelessly. So in we crept one afternoon and literally removed the old unit with a cold chisel and a hammer. After ten minutes of bashing that fixture we got it out and installed a shiny new one. . The property closed with no problem.

Then the contractor moved in and basically replaced the master bath and the kitchen...
I have known friends and family that have had a hard time trying to convince their realtor into letting them fix something in a home after an offer acceptance but before an appraisal or closing. Mostly because if simple electrical wiring issues like exposed wiring.

Don't you just love those VA minimum requirements? How about a termite inspection on a 2 year old home? I guess they are looking out for veterans best interests but...

Motorola DynaTAC 8000x

Old 04-24-2013, 10:07 PM

347 posts, read 543,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marioni888 View Post
My son moved from CA 2 years ago,got pre-approved by a mortgage lender for 250k (with 20% down),started looking for a house since jan 2013,every time they place a bid larger than the current price they get outbidded immediately by cash offer.

But most important thing is that every house is priced over appraised value (from 10.000$ to even 30.000$) . That means they have to pull additional cash from their pocket plus 20% and plus closing cost.

They won the bidding for one house last month (summerlin,240k listing price) and appraisal came in as $30,000 less than listing price. Seller didn't want even to discuss to reduce their price at least for couple of thousands .

They decided to wait,save some cash and purchase new construction maybe next year....
Has he looked at FHA homes? It's not open to investors at first only to owner / occupied folks so he may be able to find a house without multiple offers on those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas