Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 06:39 PM

244 posts, read 440,290 times

Advertisements

My stepmother live in the house in summerlin and considering getting some kind of alarm protection.
She is concerned mostly about protection while she is inside of the house.
Should we contact some companies for that (ADT,American Video and Security...) or purchase security kits from Home Depot and similar stores?
I think she needs protection for her windows (something like sensors) and front door (maybe motion lights). What do you think?
If we choose local company to monitor her home how much they usually charge monthly for they service and is it worth in this option?
Getting a gun or dog is not an option
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 08:17 PM

843 posts, read 2,217,234 times
Security is a HUGE domain, covering many things. A security system can be a part of that however for most people false alarms happen far more often than real alarms and this can be a huge problem for the elderly.

You first have to identify exactly what threat(s) you are trying to mitigate. If you are concerned about bodily harm to your stepmother a security system is mostly useless. If you are concerned about property theft a well installed security system can help.

Considering you had to ask I think it's safe to assume that you do not know how to install an alarm system. That also leaves you vulnerable to the scammers (ADT is one of them) who will install a 'free' substandard system, poorly at best just to get you paying monthly fees.

There is no easy answer to this question.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:49 PM

244 posts, read 440,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Security is a HUGE domain, covering many things. A security system can be a part of that however for most people false alarms happen far more often than real alarms and this can be a huge problem for the elderly.

You first have to identify exactly what threat(s) you are trying to mitigate. If you are concerned about bodily harm to your stepmother a security system is mostly useless. If you are concerned about property theft a well installed security system can help.

Considering you had to ask I think it's safe to assume that you do not know how to install an alarm system. That also leaves you vulnerable to the scammers (ADT is one of them) who will install a 'free' substandard system, poorly at best just to get you paying monthly fees.

There is no easy answer to this question.

thanx

You are right, I think false alarms will be problem.
Im not concerned about property theft when she is not at home .
She has just normal single door entrance and 3 windows.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:40 AM

1,245 posts, read 1,828,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marioni888 View Post
thanx

You are right, I think false alarms will be problem.
Im not concerned about property theft when she is not at home .
She has just normal single door entrance and 3 windows.
You can easily secure the windows using wood sticks. For the front door get a security guy to upgrade it so it can't be kicked opened. I would also upgrade one of the interior rooms so that it can't be kicked opened. Then get your stepmom a cell phone and have her call 911 if anybody tries to get into her home.

Old 11-04-2013, 03:21 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,785,095 times
Need a strike master II so the door can't be easily kicked in. Also make sure she knows to NEVER answer the door for strangers.

Old 11-04-2013, 04:34 PM

670 posts, read 1,104,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview6 View Post
You can easily secure the windows using wood sticks. For the front door get a security guy to upgrade it so it can't be kicked opened. I would also upgrade one of the interior rooms so that it can't be kicked opened. Then get your stepmom a cell phone and have her call 911 if anybody tries to get into her home.
+1 very sound and practical advice here.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:25 PM

526 posts, read 832,975 times
a professional burglars advice (NOT ME ) is to get a sign that says:

"BEWARE OF DOG"

Potential burglars will stay away from houses that might have a dog...

Old 11-04-2013, 07:24 PM

15,856 posts, read 14,483,585 times
What kind of access does her bedroom have? Is it a single story house? If not in her bedroom on the first floor?

The first circle of protection should be there. The interior door should be set up like an exterior door, solid core, inward opening, with deep screws on the hinges that go into the studs. The lock should NOT be an interior door knob. At minimum, it should be an exterior door knob (keyed). A deadbolt would be better. When she goes to bed, she should lock this. The windows should also be set up to prevent/slow down a break in.

The exterior perimeter should be similarly set up. You can't make it break in proof, but you can make breaking in slower and noisier than a burglar would want. Beefed up locks on both doors and windows, security film on windows, I'd also have exterior motion sensor lights in all directions. Alarms are good, but use and false alarms are an issue. If the threat she's worried about is a break in while she's there, it isn't that useful.

She should also have a cell phone, in case a determined intruder decides to cut the phone lines.

And, finally, this being Vegas, she should buy, get training with, and practice using a gun. Nothing is going to keep out a determined attacker, and even if she can get a call off to the police, or press a panic button on an alarm, she will still be on her own for at least several minutes until the cops get there (best case scenario.) She has to be prepared to defend herself. Given the disparity of physical force, a gun is called for.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:04 PM

531 posts, read 758,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalbo View Post
Need a strike master II so the door can't be easily kicked in. Also make sure she knows to NEVER answer the door for strangers.
I always wonder why Japanese has swing out door?

A door rammer can easily ram open a swing in door, but a swing out door.

Now put in the metal frame and door, you have a door rammer proof door.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:26 PM

15,856 posts, read 14,483,585 times
Swing out = exposed hinges. The hinges are a weak point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k81689 View Post
I always wonder why Japanese has swing out door?

A door rammer can easily ram open a swing in door, but a swing out door.

Now put in the metal frame and door, you have a door rammer proof door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas