Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 01:36 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,785,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Seven days.

Then you are an ideal candidate for the TOU program. This will halve your electricity bills. I would wait until after Sept. 30, and then sign up. (Why deal with the peak-time screwage if you don't have to?)
Exactly. But, I think it's less than 5 cents for the rest of the year. I could be wrong, and maybe it is 6 cents, but still.. it's nice having $40-$45 bills for 8 months, and $100-$150 for the 4 months. When we average everything out for the year, we're in the $75/mo range for electricity. Not bad, and no investment in any type of increased insulation, solar screens, swamp cooler, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 01:46 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
Exactly. But, I think it's less than 5 cents for the rest of the year. I could be wrong, and maybe it is 6 cents, but still.. it's nice having $40-$45 bills for 8 months, and $100-$150 for the 4 months. When we average everything out for the year, we're in the $75/mo range for electricity. Not bad, and no investment in any type of increased insulation, solar screens, swamp cooler, etc.
All of the rates are right there in the first post in this thread.

You could likely halve it again with the insulation, solar screens and swamp cooler. But you're likely at the point of diminishing returns already. And you're still renting, right? I wouldn't bother with the energy-efficiency upgrades on a rental.

With our location in Sunrise -- a west facing house in an area of town that is a full 10 degrees hotter all summer long, the screens, cooler and insulation were necessary. It would be unbearable otherwise. And then we'd be in the same boat as our neighbors -- paying $700 per month. I've compared power bills with them. But most of my neighbors are the "you can lead a horse to water" type. If they're OK sending a few thousand to Warren Buffett every year, fine. But I would lose sleep over that.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:59 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,785,752 times
We have some friends with $1000+ bills. But they also live in 6000-8000 sq.ft. houses with pools, fountains, outdoor lighting that looks like we're at a concert, etc. I guess it's all relative.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:31 PM

1,828 posts, read 5,313,645 times
My first day for time of use with the AC cranked for two straight hours before 1pm worked out fine for me. My Master and Main topped out at 80° by 7pm. Today is a little hotter than yesterday (103°); Two and a half hours to go and I'm sitting at 78 currently.

I'm probably going to add an extra hour of cooling in the morning (10am-1pm) and when it gets over 110° I will add another hour (9am-1pm). I can run the AC for 4.5 hours on non-peak versus the same cost for only 1 hour of peak.

I already saved $200 in my first five off peak months, as long as I keep my four summer bills under $250 per month I will still be ahead; not even counting the remaining four off peak months I've not yet had.

Also I've started getting weekly energy cost recap emails from NV Energy, I'm interested to see how I fare after my first week on Summer rates.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danknee View Post
I'm probably going to add an extra hour of cooling in the morning (10am-1pm) and when it gets over 110° I will add another hour (9am-1pm). I can run the AC for 4.5 hours on non-peak versus the same cost for only 1 hour of peak.
A ventilated attic gable fan really helps in pushing back the morning and evening AC use.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:49 PM

1,828 posts, read 5,313,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
A ventilated attic gable fan really helps in pushing back the morning and evening AC use.
I've been strongly considering it. I checked out my attic venting awhile ago after you mentioned it in an energy thread. I have the smaller gable vents just under the roof line every 10-12 feet. Also I have a square vent at the highest part of the roof. I'd probably install the powered fan in that square roof vent.

Too bad I didn't do it before it starting exceeding 100°. Maybe I'll attempt an early morning install this weekend. How do you feel about this unit? >> link.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:10 PM

That's the same thermostat that's in mine. Looks basically like the same fan, too. I'm pretty sure the fan I bought at Home Depot cost less and had a higher CFM.

I got an electrician to install the fan because my homeowner's policy stipulates that I do not do my own electrical work. (If there's a fire for any reason, and they find out I wired a gable fan in the attic, they won't pay.) Even with the pricey install, the fan paid for itself in just one summer. And it's CONSIDERABLY more comfortable in the mornings and evenings. And it's even a little better in the mid afternoon.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:51 PM

625 posts, read 797,227 times
We live in 975 sq ft condo and we keep our AC set between 80-81 at all times(rare at 82 and 79). Would we fare any better on the TOU? TIA

Old 06-04-2014, 07:22 AM

1,245 posts, read 1,828,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danknee View Post
I've been strongly considering it. I checked out my attic venting awhile ago after you mentioned it in an energy thread. I have the smaller gable vents just under the roof line every 10-12 feet. Also I have a square vent at the highest part of the roof. I'd probably install the powered fan in that square roof vent.

Too bad I didn't do it before it starting exceeding 100°. Maybe I'll attempt an early morning install this weekend. How do you feel about this unit? >> link.
My experience is that these powered attic fans usually fail after a couple of years, and there is a risk of fire. What you need to do is increase by a factor of 2X or 4X the air intake holes in your soffit and increase by the same amount the exhaust holes in the roof or gables. Hot air will escape from the attic just as quickly as if a fan was pushing it out. The orginal builders sized the attic ventilation to remove moisture and not to remove heat. To remove the heat you have to increase both intake and exhaust ports for the attic. You can't have too much attic ventilation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas