Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 08:22 AM

132 posts, read 588,052 times

Advertisements

Gexa is acting crap and they charged me 19.5 cents in the last bill. Though their rates were high I was thinking about continuing until winter and then switch and lock a good rate with someone else.

19.5 is unacceptable. Period.

Looking at powertochoose.org, It seems YEP is the chapest monthly plan, with 13.8 cents. That seems good. But I do not know whether that is a teaser rate for the first month ? Does anyone switch to any of them recently ? Will they jack-up the rates ( I dont care if it goes till 15 cents) TOO MUCH after the first month ?

Ofcourse, I can switch again even they play crap, but I do not want to switch frequently because these people put a HARD enquiry on your Credit profile when you switch and also, its time consuming as well.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 08:32 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,697,976 times
On variable rate, isn't there a mandated maximum monthly increase of 20%? If that's the case, some of you guys paying $0.20+ didn't do your homework.

Here's my story so far: I was with Spark Energy last year @ $0.122. I switched to National Power Co. at $0.11, which was the company that went under. I was forced to Reliant and stayed there for two months this summer at $0.155, which was the highest I paid this year. I switched to Ambit in the process for one month. Got the bill yesterday and the rate was $0.129. Next month starts the new service, Champion Energy, a 9 month contract for $0.133. I noticed none of the good rates go any longer than 9 or 10 months. No coincedence that ends just before next summer starts. Maybe that's not the best winter rate but it's good enough and I don't want to be playing this game every month or two. Perhaps you could consider doing that?

Old 08-21-2008, 09:00 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,213,138 times
I don't think there are any restrictions or limitations on variable rate increases.

If you have noted the problems so many have had with their providers going under and being switched to Provider Of Last Resort and being charged a ridiculously high variable rate, it might be worth a penny or two to go with a larger and more stable company than the rock bottom rate.

It's a shame that we have to monitor our electric provider on a monthly basis (even on a fixed contract, in case they go under). The way it should work is if your company goes under your account is bid on by all the other providers and switched to the lowest variable rate offered.

Old 11-27-2008, 08:56 PM

1 posts, read 12,165 times
If it makes you feel any better, Gexa screwed my roommate too. She is getting ready to change since the latest bill showed her rate up to 21.04/kWh! They've been steadily going up in the months since I've lived there and now she's finally fed up enough to switch. As far as YEP, my brother's had them for quite a while and, though he seems to complain about everything else under the sun, he hasn't had a complaint with them yet...I'm acutally considering them myself.

Old 11-28-2008, 09:30 AM

182 posts, read 701,854 times
We have Gexa and have been on the 12 month plan since last December. Our rate has consistently been between $0.114 and $0.117 with no problems whatsoever.

I called them last week because our plan runs out at the end of December, the guy on the phone quoted me $0.137 if we renew, however, I just checked the website and it says $0.129 for a 12 month plan. I am going to call them later, but came here first to see what everyone else was paying. Looks like their $0.129 might be a good deal.

Old 11-28-2008, 11:32 PM

182 posts, read 768,525 times
I just locked in 12 months with Spark at $0.1295 last week. I found a promotional rate on the web for the extra .0005 off (whoo hoo big savings there). Seemed like the best rate around at the time.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:03 PM

9 posts, read 31,524 times
I have Spark and am very happy with it. If you do month to month, they will send you an email reminder to renew instead of just jacking up your rate.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:09 AM

1 posts, read 11,822 times
STAY AWAY FROM YEP ENERGY!!!I had them for two months and it was enough. I used the power to choose website to find a lower rate and signed up for a month to month contract with Yep. When I got my first bill, the rate was higher and they also charged me a "Utility Charge". It made my rate to go up like 25%. I was with Gexa and their rates were going up, that's why I switched companies, but I ended up paying more with Yep. I'm with Startex Power and their rates are good and they really honor the rates from the Power to Choose website.Say "Heck no to Yep"; your wallet will love you for that.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:43 PM

614 posts, read 1,237,463 times
I too am with Gexa and I too was mad at the outragous 19+ cent kilowatt bill. I called them and complained as well but they explained that it was a vairable month to month rate. If I wanted to sign up on a fixed/contract of a year, I would get 12.9 cent rate. As far as I saw, that was the lowest rate around without switching company and having be charged a one time fee for the new co. to read my meter. So I stayed for the new one year contract rate. Didn't see no reason to switch. I'm sure most who have these crazy rates are on a month to month plan as well.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:58 PM

1 posts, read 11,857 times
DO NOT EVER CHOOSE YEP! They are terrible. They charged me $83 Energy Charge/Adjustment on top of my $0.28/kwh $106 bill this month. No explanation for the $83 is on the bill. What the heck is Energy Charge/Adjustment! They are crooks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: