Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 12:57 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,680,050 times

Advertisements

Profit is not the issue.

The sales process in the auto industry is often a frustration for customers.

Most sales people will say, I am giving you the car at cost, we are not making any money. Or they don't want to give you a test drive. Nowadays, some dealers won't even allow negotiations.

I can see your sentiment having been in the industry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
You should see how much jewelry and furniture store markups run...

As a manager in the auto business for many years, $5K is much higher than the average profit per car. And I worked in high-end imports. $2-$3K was about average. Sometimes it was in the $5K-$7K range, sometimes it was a net loss. How much profit should a company make on a $60K car?

Profit is not a dirty word. It pays for the building and staffing. Without profit, businesses go out of business and unemployment continues to go up. So go ahead and b*tch about people trying to make a living. Think about if everyone came after YOUR industry and decided that, instead of making $100K/year, you should be happy with $20K/year, since they feel "screwed". SMH..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 01:04 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,468,431 times
Quote:
You should see how much jewelry and furniture store markups run...
Or mashed taters at Ruth's Chris.

Old 07-14-2014, 01:08 PM

34 posts, read 40,770 times
It's an adversarial relationship no matter how nice the experience. Unfortunately, most dealerships in the car game make it worse by unscrupulous ads that offend the intelligent.

Anyone who falls for a "cash for clunkers" ad today deserves to get taken to the cleaners.

The industry doesn't raise the bar for the experience because there's enough people who want something for nothing. Takes two greedy people for a successful con game.

Old 07-14-2014, 01:57 PM

15,856 posts, read 14,483,585 times
This is a valid question, with a valid answer, which is, much less than they'd like to get.

The dealer isn't building the car. There just a a sales agency. They don't even own the cars they sell, they're stock on borrowed money (aky the floor plan.) Essentially, from a sales standpoint, they're just processing paperwork. And doing so gives them the opportunity to make money in other ways (service, used car sales, accessories and other up-sells on new cars, financing, etc.) From a raw, sale of a new car, I'd just give them invoice, and let them live off the trunk money.

Quote:
How much profit should a company make on a $60K car?

Old 07-14-2014, 02:44 PM

687 posts, read 4,405,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
You still overpaid by thousands
That depends on how much of a deal someone would get at a regular dealer, otherwise they arent much higher. It took me two days of fighting at a local Ford dealer for my wifes new Taurus. I got my way but by the time I was done, I would have gladly paid a little more at Carmax.

Old 07-14-2014, 03:33 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,342,524 times
Have bought one vehicle here locally and have shopped for possible replacements all over. In my experience visiting over 10 dealerships here, I have never been pressured into one certain vehicle and test drives were no problem whatsoever. Any dealer who refuses a test drive doesn't get a sale in my book.

Having worked in the business, I know the game all too well. Some dealerships go for high pressure adversarial sales to maximize profit, some go for less profit in order to increase volume

Old 07-14-2014, 03:42 PM

930 posts, read 1,818,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Marshall FIREBALLER View Post
It's an adversarial relationship no matter how nice the experience. Unfortunately, most dealerships in the car game make it worse by unscrupulous ads that offend the intelligent.

Anyone who falls for a "cash for clunkers" ad today deserves to get taken to the cleaners.

agreed, but all that matters is if you're satisfied with the deal you get. If you go in and pay sticker price for what you want and the salesman laughs all the way to the bank , then so be it, as long as you can leave and enjoy your new vehicle without second guessing your deal.

Old 07-14-2014, 03:45 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,713,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger08 View Post
That depends on how much of a deal someone would get at a regular dealer, otherwise they arent much higher. It took me two days of fighting at a local Ford dealer for my wifes new Taurus. I got my way but by the time I was done, I would have gladly paid a little more at Carmax.
Some cases Carmax prices are pretty close. In my case, I was looking for a used Toyota Tacoma work truck. I searched the local dealers and Carmax actually had the best deal at the time. The nearest dealer with the truck I wanted was a Toyota dealer that wanted more money for a truck with more miles. They just wouldn't budge, so I went down to Carmax and I was out of there in a jiffy. It was a really nice experience.

Old 07-14-2014, 06:01 PM

687 posts, read 1,945,433 times
Wow! After reading through this thread I am afraid to step into a car Las Vegas dealership. Wanted to buy a new car after our move to Las Vegas, but now rethinking that plan. Maybe I'll buy one here in Kentucky before we move. The dealers in Las Vegas sound like the ones we had in Chicago in the early 80s. Man o man.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:23 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
Quote:
Profit is not a dirty word. It pays for the building and staffing. Without profit, businesses go out of business and unemployment continues to go up. So go ahead and b*tch about people trying to make a living. Think about if everyone came after YOUR industry and decided that, instead of making $100K/year, you should be happy with $20K/year, since they feel "screwed". SMH..
And trying to get the product for the lowest possible price is ALSO not a dirty word. I have absolutely no desire to pay for a car dealership to run their AC at 68f all day and all night in the summer. I don't want to pay the f&i dude's salary. And I certainly don't want to pay for all those radio, TV and newspaper ads.

There's a reason new cars depreciate by thousands the second they are driven off the lot -- all of that commission and marketing is baked into the price.

People are more frustrated by paying markup at car dealerships and on for real estate because the markup runs four and five figures, not one or two. The markup of a beer at a bar is usually around 500%. People expect that and pay it because it's a few dollars. They don't have to work overtime all year to pay it.

The only people who try to equate the markup on cars and houses with the markup on groceries are salespeople who sell cars and houses.

EDIT -- One other point. It's one thing when the dealers and managers and the auto industry and the politicians shake their heads and say, "well that's just the way it is." It's quite another when a company like Tesla tries to sell cars in a new way that doesn't involve the usual dealer screwage, they are simply shut out of entire states. THAT is why people are so frustrated about car sales.

http://www.boykotx.org/why-texas-ban...inance-reform/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croce View Post
Wow! After reading through this thread I am afraid to step into a car Las Vegas dealership. Wanted to buy a new car after our move to Las Vegas, but now rethinking that plan. Maybe I'll buy one here in Kentucky before we move. The dealers in Las Vegas sound like the ones we had in Chicago in the early 80s. Man o man.
Keep in mind that the registration fees on new cars are very, very high in Nevada (compared to other states). This is how we raise revenue in Nevada. It's better to have a car that is more than four years old. Registration taxes drop significantly after four years.

Last edited by ScoopLV; 07-14-2014 at 09:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: