Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 05:36 PM

256 posts, read 321,084 times

Advertisements

Number Nine

I'm sure people are tired of this topic, but here is an interesting interview I read the other day. As a fan that loved watching Modano until his retirement, I was very interested in reading this interview. For those not interested in reading the entire article:

"JC: Do you think we’ll ever get an NHL team in Houston?

MM: I don’t know. I think they’ve always been on the NHL’s radar. It’d be great for Texas to have another team. But I know the NHL really wants to beat everybody else to Vegas—that’s everybody’s number one spot."

So from the mouth of a Stars front office executive, take it for what you think it's worth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 08:43 PM

1,938 posts, read 825,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illcosby View Post
I see both Quebec getting a team and Toronto getting a second team before I see the NHL in Vegas.

It can be supported in Vegas... but these two rabid, established hockey markets are building new tenant-less arenas as well. It's just a case of area rights with the Habs and Leafs... but it'll happen next, I'm certain of it.

The Toronto region will not get a second team. Two reason.
1) The NHL and Bettman do not want Canadian teams to have more than 25-30% representation.
2) Toronto is the league’s most valuable team, they have a lot of clout. With 1 NHL team only 1 1/2 hours away in Buffalo, another team in close proximity is unlikely.

Old 11-18-2014, 12:20 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,626,903 times
Sources are saying there is an ownership group.
Also, the deputy commish for the NHL was just down here surveying the progress of the MGM arena.

This is happening.

Old 11-18-2014, 10:09 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,888,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Cabbie View Post
Sources are saying there is an ownership group.
Also, the deputy commish for the NHL was just down here surveying the progress of the MGM arena.

This is happening.
And then Bettman went in front of an audience and said its not happening today. Lots of noise, but until we see a real vote approving a team its just noise. Could be this is all used to put pressure on others to ante up more money for an expansion team because the Las Vegas option is there.

Old 11-19-2014, 01:11 PM

271 posts, read 532,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northofnowhere View Post
The Toronto region will not get a second team. Two reason.
1) The NHL and Bettman do not want Canadian teams to have more than 25-30% representation.
2) Toronto is the league’s most valuable team, they have a lot of clout. With 1 NHL team only 1 1/2 hours away in Buffalo, another team in close proximity is unlikely.
You're absolutely right about Bettman's desire to have more US teams, but it's getting silly now. No Canadian clubs are in danger of relocating and in a true free market, several cities could support a second team. They're leaving buckets of money on the table by not putting a second team in the GTA, possibly billions.

In regards to the territory rights issue, Bell or Rogers might buy out the other's stake... they're supposedly having some head-butting with the operation of the Raptors, also under the MLSE umbrella. Both companies have deep pockets to pay relocation fees... and if the tickets, concessions, etc, are in line with Leafs prices, neither Buffalo nor Detroit would take a hit from the lack of weekenders. It is ultimately up to Bettman, but the money he's not tapping into here is going to catch up to him as he's forcing teams into Memphis or Las Vegas. Toronto is about four Las Vegases when it comes to hockey support.

Old 11-19-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illcosby View Post
You're absolutely right about Bettman's desire to have more US teams, but it's getting silly now. No Canadian clubs are in danger of relocating and in a true free market, several cities could support a second team. They're leaving buckets of money on the table by not putting a second team in the GTA, possibly billions.

In regards to the territory rights issue, Bell or Rogers might buy out the other's stake... they're supposedly having some head-butting with the operation of the Raptors, also under the MLSE umbrella. Both companies have deep pockets to pay relocation fees... and if the tickets, concessions, etc, are in line with Leafs prices, neither Buffalo nor Detroit would take a hit from the lack of weekenders. It is ultimately up to Bettman, but the money he's not tapping into here is going to catch up to him as he's forcing teams into Memphis or Las Vegas. Toronto is about four Las Vegases when it comes to hockey support.
Don't be so certain about it. The Minnesota Wild always play to a full house and their tickets are rather expensive on the secondary market. Same for the San Jose Sharks. Both teams also lose money on an operating basis each and every year. There is a lot more to making money from an NHL team than just being popular and filling up the building.

Old 11-19-2014, 02:01 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,626,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Don't be so certain about it. The Minnesota Wild always play to a full house and their tickets are rather expensive on the secondary market. Same for the San Jose Sharks. Both teams also lose money on an operating basis each and every year. There is a lot more to making money from an NHL team than just being popular and filling up the building.
Bingo.
NHL is still entertainment... And if any city can successfully market entertainment, it's Vegas.

I realize a big chunk of attendees will be tourists, but I think people are underestimating the amount of season ticket or even mini-plans would sell. This situation cannot be compared to the Wranglers.
Put it this way... I'm originally from Wisconsin... I would rather drive to Chase field in Phoenix to see the Brewers play than to watch the 51s in my own backyard.

Old 11-20-2014, 09:01 AM

256 posts, read 321,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Cabbie View Post
Bingo.
NHL is still entertainment... And if any city can successfully market entertainment, it's Vegas.

I realize a big chunk of attendees will be tourists, but I think people are underestimating the amount of season ticket or even mini-plans would sell. This situation cannot be compared to the Wranglers.
Put it this way... I'm originally from Wisconsin... I would rather drive to Chase field in Phoenix to see the Brewers play than to watch the 51s in my own backyard.
I agree that comparing NHL to minor league hockey is misleading. In 2013, the Allen (TX) Americans had a total attendance of just over 139,000. The Dallas Stars had a yearly attendance of over 600,000. And, Dallas was 28th in the league in attendance. Similarly, the Stockton Thunder drew almost 213,000 fans, while the San Jose Sharks had a total attendance of over 702,000. This isn't surprising especially considering the fact that I just spent almost $600 for six tickets at the San Jose/Calgary game when we are in town to visit family for the Holidays.

Old 11-20-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlloyd87 View Post
I agree that comparing NHL to minor league hockey is misleading. In 2013, the Allen (TX) Americans had a total attendance of just over 139,000. The Dallas Stars had a yearly attendance of over 600,000. And, Dallas was 28th in the league in attendance. Similarly, the Stockton Thunder drew almost 213,000 fans, while the San Jose Sharks had a total attendance of over 702,000. This isn't surprising especially considering the fact that I just spent almost $600 for six tickets at the San Jose/Calgary game when we are in town to visit family for the Holidays.
It goes beyond attendance, ticket prices or evil relative skill levels. Players aren't really known, no real star power as a result in the minors. No real TV coverage to interest the fans. Rivalries aren't the same. In the minors its just hockey, the sport basically. In the NHL its Team A vs Team B. Many NHL fans would say I want to spend my money only on seeing games against the Rangers, Bruins and Penguins, for example. In the minors few fans say I only will pay to see games against Alaska and Ontario. They will say is there a game on a Saturday night when I don't have plans. This is also why minor league playoffs generally get terrible attendance, they aren't planned in advance.

Old 11-20-2014, 06:01 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,949,986 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kB32KE9TgPM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: