Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 07:52 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,012,706 times

Advertisements

Hi,

anybody on the time of use program?

wondering if it would save me much..

Today is the first day i turned on the ac since the inside of the house is 88 degrees. I've already screened and tinted the windows.. Unfortunately my house faces West. I was told the west and south windows are my problem...

I have a dual unit set up... does it matter or cost me more if i only run the 1 unit or should i be doing both?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 08:01 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,004,554 times
I'm on time of use. And I also face west.

It takes some serious adjusting to save much during the summer. You'll enjoy much lower bills the rest of the year. But if you're not on Time of Use, don't bother until you've made it through summer. Sign up on Oct. 1 so you can get your energy plan ready for next year.

I turn my refrigerators off every day during TOU from 1-7pm. I run AC until 1 pm and then kill power until 7pm. I have solar screens, enhanced insulation, and styrofoam insulation in the windows. I use swamp coolers on all but the hottest and the rare hot/humid days. All my lights are LED.

I save a ton. But I had to spend half a ton to do it.

Old 05-31-2015, 08:07 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,012,706 times
on the website, it has a calculator... last summer my highest month was 2295 kilowatts.. it shows me spending more if i make the switch..

my bills are not bad considering 2700sf 3 floor (what a goof that was..never again) and facing west...

highest bill was $340. I average $100 except June - Sept. I also have a pool

Does it hurt or cost me more if i close the vents to the rooms im not using...?

Old 05-31-2015, 08:15 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,004,554 times
Helps. And close the doors, too.

But the main thing that matters is how much electricity is used between 1-7pm during the TOU period. They really ream you for those hours, and in exchange, you get drastically reduced rates the rest of the year.

How well can you handle living like a monk from 1-7pm? If not for the aggravation of reprogramming all the electronics, I would throw the main switch every day at 1pm and turn the house back on at 7pm.

Old 05-31-2015, 09:40 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,060,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
Hi,

anybody on the time of use program?

wondering if it would save me much..

Today is the first day i turned on the ac since the inside of the house is 88 degrees. I've already screened and tinted the windows.. Unfortunately my house faces West. I was told the west and south windows are my problem...

I have a dual unit set up... does it matter or cost me more if i only run the 1 unit or should i be doing both?
OMG Airics I would die in your house at 88 degrees. The AC has been on here since February and it is set at 71 degrees.

Old 05-31-2015, 09:50 PM

661 posts, read 632,401 times
For all you TOU users, don't forget to set your digital thermostats for summertime schedule starting tomorrow. I am dreading the next 4 months of hell.

Old 05-31-2015, 10:12 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,281,939 times
So no AC from 1 pm - 7 pm. Got it.

Guess I'll use that time to get out of the house.

Old 05-31-2015, 10:42 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,076,603 times
That's only necessary if you've opted in to the time of use program. If you didn't choose to go on that program your rates are the same year round.

This will be my first summer on the TOU program. My rough calculations using NV Energy's hourly energy usage breakdown showed that I would save approx 20% switching to TOU and making zero changes to my usage pattern. I work outside my home during the day so most of the "peak time" I am away anyways.

I just adjusted the thermostat programming slightly (mainly for weekends to attempt to cool it down extra prior to 1pm) and moved my pool pump to off-peak hours. I don't intend to make any other energy related changes. No way I am sweating in my house to save a buck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
So no AC from 1 pm - 7 pm. Got it.

Guess I'll use that time to get out of the house.

Old 05-31-2015, 10:55 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,281,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
That's only necessary if you've opted in to the time of use program. If you didn't choose to go on that program your rates are the same year round.

This will be my first summer on the TOU program. My rough calculations using NV Energy's hourly energy usage breakdown showed that I would save approx 20% switching to TOU and making zero changes to my usage pattern. I work outside my home during the day so most of the "peak time" I am away anyways.

I just adjusted the thermostat programming slightly (mainly for weekends to attempt to cool it down extra prior to 1pm) and moved my pool pump to off-peak hours. I don't intend to make any other energy related changes. No way I am sweating in my house to save a buck.
Oops. I see. I don't think we signed up for it. I'll have to look more into it if I can find it on the site.

Old 05-31-2015, 11:01 PM

661 posts, read 632,401 times
I saved over 34% over the past 2 years on the Choose When You Use program. I am now on the TOU option A residential which I hope to save more due to the lower rates than Choose When You Use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: