Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 07:10 AM

3,629 posts, read 7,703,702 times

Advertisements

One thing I did find interesting is I came across a couple articles that mentioned a supposed impact on wildlife and my neighborhood at some point went from a significant ongoing pigeon problem to VERY few birds of any kind.

No idea if the change took place around the meter installation though because I wasn't living here

Interesting....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 09:20 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,054,819 times
Having read the arguments against smart meters, I am adding them in with airplane vapor trails, the moon landing "hoax" and the Loch Ness monster.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:44 PM

848 posts, read 652,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Having read the arguments against smart meters, I am adding them in with airplane vapor trails, the moon landing "hoax" and the Loch Ness monster.
While I am agnostic regarding some of the arguments against smart meters, there is no way you can discount the potential security issues. I have a background in technology, and they are legitimate.

Old 09-17-2014, 01:39 PM

561 posts, read 686,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND_Irish View Post
While I am agnostic regarding some of the arguments against smart meters, there is no way you can discount the potential security issues. I have a background in technology, and they are legitimate.
I tend to agree with you regarding the potential security issues, but I'm not sure how those issues affect the end-user. Does ScoopLV care if an unauthorized person reads his meter? Probably not. Would he care if that same unauthorized person sends a firmware update to the smart meter, disconnecting and permanently disabling it? Probably only until NV Energy replaced it. While the security issues affect NV Energy's bottom line, should your typical consumer care?

Old 09-17-2014, 02:16 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,865,402 times
I understand the technology reasonably well. I too fail to see what the aggressor would be after. I suppose you could determine that it is unlikely anyone is at home at some time. Though one can do that by simply ringing the door bell...the normal burglary tactic in Las Vegas.

I suppose one could figure out the system and gain entry. But to what end? Black mail NV Energy? They simply develop a fix real quick and block you out. And to actually do serious damage you would need to invade the backbone which may be a much more difficult task.

I would think wifi a much greater security risk.

Old 09-17-2014, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVAllen View Post
I tend to agree with you regarding the potential security issues, but I'm not sure how those issues affect the end-user. Does ScoopLV care if an unauthorized person reads his meter? Probably not. Would he care if that same unauthorized person sends a firmware update to the smart meter, disconnecting and permanently disabling it? Probably only until NV Energy replaced it. While the security issues affect NV Energy's bottom line, should your typical consumer care?
He should care if someone is reading his meter and monitoring his usage patterns to determine when he is at home. I see it not only as a security issue but a privacy issue.

Old 09-17-2014, 03:05 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,054,819 times
I have more of a chance of being struck by lightning or killed by a meteor.

I am now FIRMLY placing smart meters in the same category as the Loch Ness monster, vapor trails, and Piltdown Man.

Old 09-17-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I have more of a chance of being struck by lightning or killed by a meteor.

I am now FIRMLY placing smart meters in the same category as the Loch Ness monster, vapor trails, and Piltdown Man.
There may be reasons why you wish to place a smart meter in the same category as the things you mentioned, but security and privacy are not among them in my opinion.

Old 09-17-2014, 05:23 PM

561 posts, read 686,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND_Irish View Post
He should care if someone is reading his meter and monitoring his usage patterns to determine when he is at home. I see it not only as a security issue but a privacy issue.
That's just not feasible as a burglary attack plan. For starters, it's not nearly reliable enough. How can you really distinguish between someone leaving the residence and someone simply leaving the a/c running while they're gone? If I turn off every single light in my house, I save maybe 2 kwh/day, which is barely a blip on the usage. Sure, my TV isn't on when everyone leaves, but any TV worth stealing doesn't draw that much power to begin with. The major power users (pool pump, A/C) run whether I'm there or not. Of course, if I'm using a swamp cooler and no pool pump, all bets are off. My power usage is very nearly a straight line all day long, regardless of who is present.

A much simpler and likely more successful way? Watch the house. Take a look at the neighborhood. Knock on the door. All sorts of things I learned watching "It Takes a Thief."

Old 09-17-2014, 07:27 PM

3,629 posts, read 7,703,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVAllen View Post
That's just not feasible as a burglary attack plan. For starters, it's not nearly reliable enough. How can you really distinguish between someone leaving the residence and someone simply leaving the a/c running while they're gone? If I turn off every single light in my house, I save maybe 2 kwh/day, which is barely a blip on the usage. Sure, my TV isn't on when everyone leaves, but any TV worth stealing doesn't draw that much power to begin with. The major power users (pool pump, A/C) run whether I'm there or not. Of course, if I'm using a swamp cooler and no pool pump, all bets are off. My power usage is very nearly a straight line all day long, regardless of who is present.

A much simpler and likely more successful way? Watch the house. Take a look at the neighborhood. Knock on the door. All sorts of things I learned watching "It Takes a Thief."
Absolutely^^^^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas