Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 04:32 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times

Advertisements

I'd guess the teacher is concerned with copy/paste. While it's a viable concern hand writing the same information is almost as easy.

Makes me wonder if the teacher has had a student do it and is trying to prevent it happening again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 05:08 PM

848 posts, read 648,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ft_chief View Post
Got clarification today from my daughter. Her teacher will not penalize her for typing her project this time. She will next time. The teacher's reasoning is she is preventing the students from plagiarizing on their reports.
That has to be the dumbest reasoning I have ever heard. I'm glad to hear your daughter was not penalized. Perhaps the teacher ought to speak to a few history professors at UNLV and ask them how they deal with concerns regarding plagiarism. I would be surprised if any of them said that they make their students handwrite their papers.

Old 09-16-2014, 05:22 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,713,690 times
Quote:
My daughter was upset yesterday. She had a History Report due today. She decided to turn it in early yesterday as she normally does with all her projects. After giving her presentation yesterday, her teacher told her she is taking off points because her report was typed on Word and not hand written (btw she is in 8th grade). Her teacher's initial instructions did not specify that the report had to be hand written. My daughter has been typing all her reports since 6th grade and this is the first time that a teacher insisted that it be hand written. What do you all think? On a positive note, I received my daughter's 7th grade CRT score today and she scored a perfect 500 in Math and Reading for the 2nd straight year.
That is not right, especially if she did not specify or give instructions that she would give extra credit for those who hand write their projects. I've been using word processors since my commodore 64 and a Okidata dot matrix printer! Spell check was already available back in the 80s!. This teacher must be from the 40s - 50s generation

Old 09-16-2014, 05:26 PM

555 posts, read 1,259,412 times
Quote:
Got clarification today from my daughter. Her teacher will not penalize her for typing her project this time. She will next time. The teacher's reasoning is she is preventing the students from plagiarizing on their reports.

Like I said, CCSD sometimes hires teachers that aren't the brightest bulbs in the box

Glad to hear the kid is not going to be penalized. Let your daughter know how proud you are of her for doing her assignment so meticulously, even though the teacher didn't want it typed, and for getting good grades!

Blessings

Last edited by Kitchen Witch; 09-16-2014 at 05:35 PM..

Old 09-16-2014, 06:21 PM

1,460 posts, read 2,808,775 times
Why would it be important to hand write things?

Tell the teacher your not sure they are qualified to make such an assessment unless they still use a chalkboard.

LOL @ old people.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:02 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exaday View Post
Why would it be important to hand write things?

Tell the teacher your not sure they are qualified to make such an assessment unless they still use a chalkboard.

LOL @ old people.
I've been staying away from the CCSD threads because everyone already knows how I feel about CCSD, the concept of statistics and averages, and educational opportunities in the Las Vegas Valley.

But you know what? I can justify this. In an age where "Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V" means "I'm done with my assignment," insisting that the students hand write the essay - even if they're transcribing it -- means that they are at least reading the information word by word and writing it down word by word.

That's better than nothing.

I think it is patently unfair to lump all students together as wholesale cheaters. But obviously enough students are cheating that this is a way to insure that SOME learning is going on. There are entire websites dedicated to sharing written essays.

Rhetoric is a vanishing art. Some people excel at writing. But the average person? Well, just look around you. A great deal of the posts right here in the forum are grammatical train wrecks. And those who are the worst offenders cry "snobbery" when faced with differing opinions by people who care to string a few words together in a thoughtful manner.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:05 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,118,948 times
My teachers requested that I type things due to my poor handwriting. Some teachers gave me writing assignments, writing a sentence a large number of times, to improve my writing. It didn't work. It did show their laziness though when I started skipping numbers throughout the many pages. To this day, no matter how hard I try, I can not write legibly.

If the teacher did not say how they wanted the assignment to be done, then it shouldn't matter how it was done, so long as it was done. They would do well to be more specific next time.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:22 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,805,587 times
An opportunity. We need a new App. Perhaps a version of word that will not allow cut or paste except internal to a document.

Does not really stop plagiarism. But makes it less rewarding.

Could easily be done at a cloud site.

One could record the whole construction and play it back for the teacher.

The teacher is off her wicket by the way. I stopped handwriting things of substance 60 plus years ago. And no one should be forced to...

Old 09-16-2014, 08:28 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,565,213 times
I'll tell you this. I was recruited by CCSD a few years back when I was looking to get out of Texas and was willing to go anywhere with mountains. That district is a MESS. They lost everything and I ended up not hearing from them until I had already signed with Los Angeles (another mess, but I'm loving it). I'm credentialed in high needs area (autism, behavioral impairments, spanish, etc...). When they finally called, the lady was pretty shocked that I hadn't waited around for them.

They are really desperate for teachers there and I've known a few good teachers who spent a few years there and then got out. One of them went back to work in Fairfax, VA because she was really tired of getting berated for having high expectations for the kids. Her principal flat out told her to keep parents happy and keep grades high. That was a task as her school was constantly enrolling and expanding and then flipping over. She ended the year with a completely different set of kids. There is chaos there and chaos breeds weirdos.

I can't imagine counting points off for a kid who went the extra mile to type something up. I hope you keep us posted on that teacher's reasoning. This better be good!

Old 09-16-2014, 08:35 PM

625 posts, read 797,331 times
Thanks for generalizing the entire district for one old teacher(even though I can see both sides of the argument). We're not all crazy. I dont know what goes on at the top with all the district heads and politics. All I know is my 5th grade class started reading Tuck Everlasting today, and we start Literature Circles tomorrow. And I wont be mad if they type responses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas