Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 03:29 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LV10101 View Post
For every time a gun is used in self-defense in the home, there are 7 assaults or murders, 11 suicide attempts, and 4 accidents involving guns in or around a home.
Surely you can provide some verifiable data on your claims...

Old 12-23-2014, 03:36 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,936,527 times
Kind of funny,I have a 38 cal snub nose Taurus,new,fired once,now for over 20 years.Do know how to use it.

Old 12-23-2014, 03:54 PM

635 posts, read 746,361 times
Yes, 10 Pro-Gun Myths, Shot Down | Mother Jones
These facts come from the CDC, Congressional Research Service, UN Office on Drugs and Crime and other sources.

Old 12-23-2014, 03:54 PM

15,856 posts, read 14,483,585 times
There are plenty of places in and near Vegas where you could get some training.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
Kind of funny,I have a 38 cal snub nose Taurus,new,fired once,now for over 20 years.Do know how to use it.

Old 12-23-2014, 04:01 PM

It's not hard to get training. Pretty much every range offers classes, and there are some well known national training centers driveably close to LV. And there are numerous brands of quick release secure storage devices. And someone who'd do a home invasion is not going to be deterred by a alarm or dog.

And this doesn't address self defense outside the home. Nevada is a fairly easy state in which to get a concealed carry permit, and lots of people out there do. Someone is more likely to be attacked out of the home than in it. Carrying a gun gives you the ability to respond appropriately. You beware of dog alarm sign does nothing there.

Quote:
BBMW...Even if you don't account for the few times a gun is used to scare off a criminal it still doesn't make up for the statistic of owning a gun in your home. Even with gun ownership you still have to be able to obtain that gun from its secured place in your house, have the competency to use that weapon, be able to have the aim, the legal authority and be able to do it...a lot of steps.

A simple solution is a non-violent deterrent, like a "beware of dog" sign and/or alarm sign.

Old 12-23-2014, 04:09 PM

635 posts, read 746,361 times
BBMW...You fail to realize that deterrents work...hence the "beware of dog" sign and/or alarm sign. Tell me if you were a criminal had approached a house with these signs but the house next door had nothing, which one would you break in to? Really its that simple. By the way go talk to some law enforcement officers and ask them.

Tell me you are out in public and are robbed on gun-point, one of the more common thoughts of gun lovers, what do you do? You don't have a tactical advantage, the robber already has a gun on you, again what do you do? Do you try to play like the movies and pull your gun before getting shot? Do you wait until the robber runs away and then pull a gun and do what, shoot? Better get a good defense attorney. Please tell me what you do?

Old 12-23-2014, 04:24 PM

Quote:
BBMW...You fail to realize that deterrents work...hence the "beware of dog" sign and/or alarm sign. Tell me if you were a criminal had approached a house with these signs but the house next door had nothing, which one would you break in to? Really its that simple. By the way go talk to some law enforcement officers and ask them.
Even assuming they work to some extent, what do you do if in your particular situation, they don't. You at home and someone kicks the front door, the alarm goes off, and the guy still comes in. What do you do to defend yourself in the period between when the intruder enters and help shows up (which can be several minutes.)
Quote:

Tell me you are out in public and are robbed on gun-point, one of the more common thoughts of gun lovers, what do you do? You don't have a tactical advantage, the robber already has a gun on you, again what do you do? Do you try to play like the movies and pull your gun before getting shot? Do you wait until the robber runs away and then pull a gun and do what, shoot? Better get a good defense attorney. Please tell me what you do?
This depends vastly on the situation. There are situations where you won't be able to respond, there will be situations where you do. If you maintain situational awareness, you should be able to see a robbery situation coming. There have been any number of situations where concealed carriers have been able to use their weapons to successfully defend themselves.

Old 12-23-2014, 06:13 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
There have been any number of situations where concealed carriers have been able to use their weapons to successfully defend themselves.
Many. VERY many. Here's one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9K7TKDqR-ck

Old 12-23-2014, 06:22 PM

50,308 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:

Do you put a beware of dog sign on your car while you are driving?

Old 12-23-2014, 06:32 PM

168 posts, read 212,393 times
LOL!

LV10101 is on another level of stupid.

OP is asking about nothing in relation to your hate for guns.

GTFO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas