Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 06:01 AM

114 posts, read 120,116 times

Advertisements

So what's the traffic really like in Vegas, and is it in one particular area, or all over? Are we taking DC or Austin type traffic, all day every day? Or just regular rush hour traffic? Any areas to avoid whenever possible?

This will help us decide where to live as well, depending on which hospital I end up working in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2014, 06:32 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,149,106 times
If you live in the north, northwest, generally speaking, and your commute is south, you're screwed..., i.e. parking lot in the morning, parking lot that afternoon. Plus you get the sun in your eyes, both ways.

You can search and view the problem areas yourself, real time. Do check out the Dynamic Message Signs site. Makes for a great road map when you zoom in too. You can navigate to a specific location (on or off ramp, intersection, freeway section) and get video and snapshots (ITS Device menu) on how things look.

Old 11-30-2014, 07:48 AM

Good to know. I expect mornings wont be too much of an issue, as I will have to be to work likely around 0630, although I could be wrong. What about other times of day, or on weekends? Is the traffic pretty consistent? I've bookmarked the link you gave me, thank you.

Old 11-30-2014, 08:19 AM

2,557 posts, read 4,569,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCIS719 View Post
Good to know. I expect mornings wont be too much of an issue, as I will have to be to work likely around 0630, although I could be wrong. What about other times of day, or on weekends? Is the traffic pretty consistent? I've bookmarked the link you gave me, thank you.
Commuting around at 6-6:30 will likely help a lot.

Old 11-30-2014, 08:28 AM

2,928 posts, read 3,553,677 times
It's getting worse as our population grows by ~40k/year.

Old 11-30-2014, 08:56 AM

What about traveling from the South? Is traffic bad in that direction as well?

Old 11-30-2014, 09:27 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,149,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCIS719 View Post
What about traveling from the South? Is traffic bad in that direction as well?
Yes, better than going north.

Old 11-30-2014, 09:41 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,119,613 times
Major rush-hour trouble spots I've noticed:

Spaghetti bowl (I-15 & US-95 interchange)
Charleston Bl between Main & MLK
Anywhere on or within a block of the strip
I-215/CR-215 anywhere near I-15

Tip: When approaching Sahara heading northbound on I-15, move over to the left as much as you can, slow down and increase your following distance. The stretch between Sahara and Charleston is an accident magnet. You have people entering relatively slowly from Sahara, and people racing at 70mph in the slow lane that have to crest a hill before they see that traffic ahead of them is stopped. My office is very close to that area, and I hear accidents happen there all the time. I hear probably 10 times as many cases of screeching tires but no contact. When I do hear one, I'll call it in if it sounds like a serious crash.

Old 11-30-2014, 10:04 AM

Thanks Swagger, that kind of info helps tremendously, and it will help even more, Im sure once I know my way around. Im going to check out those spots on a map for now.

Old 11-30-2014, 01:47 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,041,460 times
Locals always avoid the Strip. Always! Try to stay off 15 south for most of the day on Sundays or holidays. It can be a traffic nightmare if everyone who came to Vegas for the weekend leaves at the same time to head back to California. Try to be aware of what's going on in town. It will clue you in to areas likely to jam up. If all you want to do is go from point A to point B you have to avoid Fremont St/downtown on Helldorado weekend. Or New Year's Eve. Over time you will learn when it's smart to avoid the touristy areas. And I don't ever go out to dinner on Mother's Day either!

Daily normal traffic in Vegas is really not that bad. It's not much compared to other places I have lived. You do have to drive very defensively. I always assume people are drunk or hopped up on something. You will see a lot of impaired driving. Or people who are just lost. And we have tons of pedestrians. And they WILL just step out into the street in front of you. I always assume the pedestrians are drunk too. So far this tactic has kept me and my car safe!

We do have rush hours the same as everywhere else. But remember we are a service town and lots of places are open all the time. Probably most workers here do not work the traditional 9 to 5, Monday through Friday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas