Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 03:40 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,144,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
One of my friends got the fake "your computer has a virus" scam call. She plays with them though and after they said her computer had a virus, that she had to go to her computer now and type something in. She said "Is it ebola? Does my computer have ebola?" The scammer got angry and hung up on her.
I say play with their minds. It doesn't do any good to cuss them out and hang up on them, because they keep calling. She receives fewer calls these days..and she really ticked off one about a week ago when they called and said she was pre-approved for a loan. She acted all excited and then when they asked her how much she wanted, she said $79. The caller was really rude, cussed her out and told her to f-off and he hung up on her. I told her next time to say $25.
I was rude to a nasty telemarketer once and he called me back and threatened me. I just say " no thank you " and hang up now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 03:59 AM

255 posts, read 452,484 times
Ha, ha! Yeah, I would like to lead them on too, but I'm not quick enough. But have you ever heard of Tom Mabe? He is a famous prankster known for taping his conversations with telemarketers leading them on. He has this one where he acts like the caller has just called a murder scene and what exactly was the caller's relationship with the victim? It goes on and on and really has the caller worried. Gotta check it out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7OgWcwgB50

Old 12-09-2014, 04:22 AM

8,420 posts, read 4,589,871 times
Or:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEkPo_xkFsk

Old 12-09-2014, 04:58 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,013,786 times
I always ask telemarketers what they are wearing. And I do so in a Peter Lorre voice.

Old 12-09-2014, 05:06 AM

728 posts, read 1,902,252 times
I enjoy pretending to be fictional characters when I get a telemarketer. Most of them have no idea unless it's a really obvious one that they catch right away.

The best one was this time share guy that kept calling until I finally took the call and told him I was Luke Skywalker. He seemed skeptical at first but I told him my folks were HUGE Star Wars fans. I kept it up for a while until he finally realized I was totally messing with him. It was hard to keep in character while I had to make him hold on for a moment while I yelled at Chewbacca for going potty on the rug.

Old 12-09-2014, 09:08 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,422,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I always ask telemarketers what they are wearing. And I do so in a Peter Lorre voice.
I used to do that too Scoop. Always good for a laugh, especially when it was a another dude that was calling.

These days telemarketers (or at least nobody I know with a legitimate reason for calling me) all use auto dialers. You know when you answer the phone "Hello" and there is nothing on the other end, so often you say "Hello" again and then get a response from whomever you are connected with. So I only say the first "Hello" and then I wait patiently for the 3-5 seconds for an operator to pick up at which time they will 100% of the time say with an inquisitive tone "Hello?" because they never heard my original "Hello". I respond in the rudest way possible based on the sound of their voice.

Me: "Hello"
3-5 second pause
Telemarketer (sounded like about an 80 year old woman): "Hello?"
Me: "That's what I said you dried up old (vulgar term starting with "c" for a woman's flower)"

Imagine my surprise when she immediately hung up. Hopefully she also immediately quit her job.

Then I go into my google voice account and block the number that just called me.

I also love playing with Nigerian e-mailers. I have a special email account (iamagulliblefreakinmoron@yahoo.com) that I use for that and my buddy Ed even made me a fake ID that I can send to them when it get to that point of the conversation. First name Gully, Last name Moron with a picture of Fabio on it. I have even gotten them to sign documents etc during our e-mail exchanges, usually saying that in order to send them the money that they need for me to get my millions I will need to steal it from my current employer by having the scammers submit a fake invoice to the company blah blah. Works every time.

Last edited by C_A_Braun; 12-09-2014 at 09:23 AM.. Reason: Add the fun I have with e-mail scams LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas