Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 09:16 PM
EA EA started this thread

6,791 posts, read 7,116,365 times

Advertisements

143 wrecks in 10 hours. Clearly, driver's education is not adequate.

143 wrecks reported in 10 hours because of rain | Las Vegas Review-Journal

Old 01-11-2015, 09:44 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,909,005 times
People do seem drive fast and aggressive here.

Old 01-11-2015, 10:05 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,806,957 times
road adjacent my house has a posted speed limit of 35 mph. my best guess would be that the average speed of drivers is somewhere around 50 mph and i see many folks going as fast as 80 or higher

there are plenty of factors other than speed, but i feel it's really poorly enforced here

the jury is still out on whether fixed speed and red light cameras actually save lives, but given the current state of things, it's worth a shot

all 2-way stop signs should be abolished. too many times i see people not stopping or stopping when they shouldn't. if i had it my way, most 4-way stop signs would be gone too, replaced by either traffic lights or roundabouts/turning circles.

there are so many nations doing better than usa in terms of road safety and there is no reason why america should be so low on this list

List of countries by traffic-related death rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-11-2015, 10:45 PM

635 posts, read 746,143 times
You can't compare Las Vegas to the average US city with similar size. Las Vegas is a tourist city which adds to the problems when it comes to driving. When you also factor in the amount of residents that are not native it adds even more problems. You have tourist renting cars, driving how they drive in their home town and you have people who move here that drive how they were taught to drive prior to moving here. You then add in the rain which is not the norm in Las Vegas, oil slicked roads and you have multiple accidents. Yes there are "idiots" out there but most of the issue is lack of local driving experience and driving in the rain experience.

Old 01-11-2015, 11:19 PM

775 posts, read 776,312 times
Don't forget to add in the beautiful people drugs and texting while driving. And one they want to raise the speed limits. Right.

Old 01-11-2015, 11:32 PM

635 posts, read 746,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado Baby View Post
Don't forget to add in the beautiful people drugs and texting while driving. And one they want to raise the speed limits. Right.
Texting while driving is a major issue, I see people doing it a lot everyday. It is sad people fail to realize how dangerous driving is already and then to add texting to the already high risk is insane. Unfortunately it appears a lot of people can't have self discipline enough to not text and drive. Based on that I think cell phone companies and/or the government needs to step in more than they already have. As to speed limits, more accidents are caused by the variance of speed than anything else...of course locally when it rains it doesn't help either.

Old 01-11-2015, 11:58 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,992,760 times
This could be fixed in a jiffy -- stop allowing people to plead a moving violation down to a traffic ticket. Get a ticket? Pay higher insurance rates for years.

That would stop all this nonsense -- quick, fast, in-a-hurry.

Old 01-12-2015, 02:32 AM

901 posts, read 1,898,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
This could be fixed in a jiffy -- stop allowing people to plead a moving violation down to a traffic ticket. Get a ticket? Pay higher insurance rates for years.

That would stop all this nonsense -- quick, fast, in-a-hurry.
I think you would have to take it a step beyond that to have any real impact, otherwise all you'll end up with is more uninsured drivers out there. A mandatory 3 days in jail for a second offense, 10 days for a third, etc., within a specified time frame might be enough of a deterrent. Besides, rich people don't care about fines or higher insurance rates, but they certainly would care about sharing a cell with Bubba.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:34 AM
EA EA started this thread

6,791 posts, read 7,116,365 times
Yeah, higher insurance rates = canceling insurance = not good.

Drive down the road, watch people do incredibly stupid things. Count the number of stupid things you see.
Pick up your jaw.
You've found the REAL ROOT problem. People...are stupid. Driver's education is **** poor. The driving tests administered are laughable. Everyone should have to take a lot of classes to get their license like a pilot does. There are not a whole lot of pilot error crashes. Why? Because the training is much more rigorous.

Our jails are over flowing with people as it is. Clearly this type of incentive doesn't work. Studies prove this. Even the death penalty is not enough to deter people from engaging in stupidity. We have people in countries where they will literally chop your head off, in the public square, who still do any number of illegal things.

Old 01-12-2015, 06:30 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,626,391 times
The country needs to stiffen up a bit... Grow a pair.
At every drivers ed testing, they need to show a series of extremely graphic car and motorcycle accident clean up photos. Just completely mangled remains...
Then, have little phrases pop up like, "this person was drunk... This person was texting... This person was weaving through traffic with no helmet..."

Maybe then people will start respecting each other on the roads.

Driving is a privilege. It is to be taken seriously and responsibly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas