Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 12:58 PM

37 posts, read 63,866 times

Advertisements

We liked the secluded feel of mission hills. Yet it's not a far drive to the airport or other amenities. I can't seem to find anything in our price range that we like in seven hills or green valley ranch unless it's a short sale or needs a lot of updating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 01:54 PM

15,882 posts, read 14,538,304 times
Mission Hill is way out in what I call the Henderson Panhandle. That's going to be significantly longer to get to the airport than the areas I mentioned. I'd really look at Seven Hills, or anything along Horizon Ridge (including but not limited to GVR.) All of those are going to be much quicker to the airport.

The panhandle would be cheaper, but it's because it's a worse location. And you should be able to get something close for the money you want to spend.

Edit:

Quick find off of Redfin:
https://www.redfin.com/NV/Henderson/.../home/29686957

There are others similar.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:50 PM

Thanks. I've seen that one during my searches. Hate the high price per square feet and tiny lot. I guess anything nicely priced gets taken pretty quickly everything seems to be pending, a short sale or foreclosure.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:36 PM

15,882 posts, read 14,538,304 times
Tiny lots are a fact of life in Vegas, at least for anything relative convenient. And the price per square foot is just it is, especially in the better areas.

Old 03-20-2015, 12:55 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,026,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahitinfl View Post
Thanks. I've seen that one during my searches. Hate the high price per square feet and tiny lot. I guess anything nicely priced gets taken pretty quickly everything seems to be pending, a short sale or foreclosure.
Yup.

When I'm purchasing, I put in multiple offers every day, sight unseen. (I can always get out of a bad deal during the inspection or after reviewing the CCRs.) If I didn't make at least a couple offers, than I didn't really work that day.

Every house that fits my criteria (with geographic location being the number-one item, and $/sqft being number two), gets an offer.

Once I get a few counter offers, then I start really looking at the houses. If someone accepts my offer, I know I'm dealing with a real dog of a property. Because I'm usually $10 off the price per square foot. This is usually when I'll start getting phone calls from the seller's agents, telling me exactly what it's going to take to make the deal close quickly. This is where I learn about the messy divorce, the death in the family, cancer, or what have you. It's always something.

What I'm usually looking for is the long-distance landlord who just got his or her first house wrecked by tenants and wants out, fast. They know how much cash they paid when they bought the place. They know how much the rehab is going to cost. They know how long these things take. So they know how much rent they're going to lose rehabbing the damage.

That's why all the low-priced houses are taken. There are still many, many investors. Each has his or her own set of criteria that constitutes a good investment and acceptable risk. I go for the wrecked houses because I can fix them myself. Someone who doesn't have any calluses on their hands would have other metrics.

Old 03-20-2015, 01:04 AM

2,880 posts, read 2,819,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Tiny lots are a fact of life in Vegas, at least for anything relative convenient. And the price per square foot is just it is, especially in the better areas.
I agree there's an abundance of tiny lots, but that doesn't mean there aren't any "large" lots...

most of them are a little older / in older neighborhoods, but there are plenty that are close enough to the hustle/bustle though not actually in it

Old 03-20-2015, 01:10 AM

2,880 posts, read 2,819,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I go for the wrecked houses because I can fix them myself. Someone who doesn't have any calluses on their hands would have other metrics.
Impressive, since most of the investors I know get all their cheap labor done by the lovely chaps waiting in the parking lot at home depot

Old 03-20-2015, 01:16 AM

Like this one https://www.redfin.com/NV/Henderson/.../home/29070814

Old 03-20-2015, 02:41 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,026,153 times
Yeah, $97 per square foot is roughly the ballfield I play in. As long as nobody was cooking meth recently, I can live with just about anything under $100 these days. These houses still have to bring something to the table besides a low price per square foot -- a view, a nice floor plan, a good neighborhood....

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post
most of the investors I know get all their cheap labor done by the lovely chaps waiting in the parking lot at home depot
If they pay peanuts they get monkeys. The places I tend to buy need a lot more than the clowns in the parking lot can provide.

Old 03-20-2015, 11:13 AM

So not very easy to do when you are not there yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas