Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 02:20 PM

56 posts, read 84,486 times

Advertisements

Is there an alternative to Cox for TV, Phone and Internet? We have a seasonal home and have the TV and internet put on and off as we come to town but it is always a hassle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 02:28 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,862,879 times
If you haven't figured out that the phone company (Centurylink) also provides all those services, you're not trying.

Old 05-21-2015, 04:19 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,909,687 times
TV antenna in your attic

Old 05-21-2015, 04:43 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skugelstadt View Post
TV antenna in your attic

That won't help the OP with phone or internet.

Old 05-21-2015, 04:50 PM

256 posts, read 321,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
That won't help the OP with phone or internet.
It will help with cost. I'm all about cord cutting. I will forever avoid getting stuck under a cable contract.

Old 05-21-2015, 05:20 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,319,896 times
I've never been as ripped off as I was with Century Link. With all the other cable providers, if one wants to go with a cable provider, they are the worst. And you can always stay with Cox for a decent low price internet and then select another company for your other services. You have to start the process of stopping your service though before any of them start to negotiate.

Old 05-21-2015, 11:02 PM

848 posts, read 648,421 times
While we use Cox for high-speed internet and local phone, we use Sling TV for cable channels. For $19.99 per month you get a good variety of cable channels which would cost significantly more with Cox. I also like the fact that I can access Sling TV on my smart phone or laptop. Here is the link to the Web site: https://www.sling.com/.

Old 05-22-2015, 02:26 AM

638 posts, read 594,398 times
I recently asked if anyone has used freedom pop internet but didn't get a reply. I've just signed up for them though.

It's no contract, and even their $0 a month tariff gives 1gb of data. You have to pay about $89 for the router, but when I called the other day there was a "special" giving it for $20 with free postage. Call in only not online. The first month they also give 10gb for free, which I think would usually be about $20/month. What I liked about it is that there's no contract, so when I'm in town I can pay for a month of data and then drop tariff when I leave, and the free 1gb will be enough to run my thermostats etc from.

They obviously plan on making their money from overage charges, etc and on the call they're trying to up sell you to xyz (premium service, auto refill, cheap cell phone etc) but keep saying no and it all seems fine. I did read somewhere that there might be a few dollars charge if you don't use at least 10mb a month too, but I'm not that bothered, especially since I got the router so cheap.

One thing to note is that it's not technically home broadband, it's run off a 4G+ cell signal, reviews I've read we're good but none of them were vegas specific! guess I'll know more next month.

Old 05-22-2015, 02:29 AM

638 posts, read 594,398 times
Out of interest how do you put the tv on and off? Are they happy to do it for long amounts of time? Do you pay some kind of dormancy fee too?

My trips are already infrequent and about to become even more so for now

Old 05-22-2015, 07:09 AM

56 posts, read 84,486 times
I spoke with Centurylink and they want 2 year contacts as well there are higher monthly costs.

Hot -We keep the phone on basic which is around 12.60/month when we are not there. I call them a couple of week prior to going down and tell them we would like the basic TV, High speed internet and premium phone service all install a couple of days before we get there and than a couple of weeks later when we have left I call can cancel it all and put the phone back to basic. They try to sell you on a seasonal hold but I just tell them I don't know when I'll be back. I have been doing it this way for the past 4 years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: