Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 09:00 AM

8 posts, read 7,773 times

Advertisements

We're considering a move to Las Vegas from the Dallas/Ft. Worth area with elementary aged kids, and I could use all the help I can get in finding the best place to look for houses/community. My husband's been offered a job (so the job market in LV isn't really an issue), and I think we'll want to look in the Centennial area, (possibly north Summerlin?) to be close to his job.

We'll probably rent for our first year, but want to make sure we rent in an area with the best possible elementary schools for our kids. We have a 6 year old academically gifted boy and an almost 5 year old boy. The schools where we are in Texas are amazing, so that's a primary concern for me. Which elementary schools should we be looking at?

I don't think we'll be able to afford private schools, although homeschooling isn't out of the question. Nonetheless, I'd like to try to get into the best possible public school and homeschool only if it's a necessity.

As far as community, being in a safe/low crime area is also a high priority for us. Being in a family friendly area with parks/activities/etc. would be wonderful.

Our renting budget would be around $1300/month, and I'd love to find a place with a pool or community pool. How important for safety is a gated community? What are the areas (for safety reasons) I should be avoiding?

Feel free to give me all your thoughts/advice about this particular area and LV in general, I know next to nothing and am trying to get all the information I can! Thank you!

Old 06-04-2015, 09:12 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,122,874 times
Start with the pinned thread at the top of the page. Most of your questions have been covered there. Good luck with your move.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:19 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
Here is the full list of all the gifted programs in Las Vegas:

Old 06-04-2015, 09:30 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,421,302 times
Here is a link that will help

Old 06-04-2015, 09:33 AM

I've gone through the pinned threads above and have also used the search feature, but am having a tough time finding information about elementary schools specific to the centennial area. No worries, I'll keep researching elsewhere.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:34 AM

59 posts, read 68,615 times
Henderson might be a good option for you. It is actually a very safe city:

Henderson ranked again as one of America

Also, there are a few blue ribbon elementary schools in Henderson:

Nevada Blue Ribbon Public Schools | PublicSchoolReview.com

Old 06-04-2015, 09:40 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,122,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by running_jenny View Post
I've gone through the pinned threads above and have also used the search feature, but am having a tough time finding information about elementary schools specific to the centennial area. No worries, I'll keep researching elsewhere.
Try the school district's website. They have rankings there I believe. I don't think there are any "bad" elementary schools in Centennial.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:49 AM

561 posts, read 681,685 times
You want O'Roarke.

Old 06-04-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibbels81 View Post
Henderson might be a good option for you. It is actually a very safe city:

Henderson ranked again as one of America

Also, there are a few blue ribbon elementary schools in Henderson:

Nevada Blue Ribbon Public Schools | PublicSchoolReview.com
Everything I'm reading says that Henderson is a great community, but I think the commute to my husband's job from Henderson would end up being too much. Thanks for the link to the blue ribbon schools though, I'm searching through those now!

Old 06-04-2015, 02:00 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,998,514 times
1300 with a pool not going to happen around centennial unless its tiny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by running_jenny View Post
We're considering a move to Las Vegas from the Dallas/Ft. Worth area with elementary aged kids, and I could use all the help I can get in finding the best place to look for houses/community. My husband's been offered a job (so the job market in LV isn't really an issue), and I think we'll want to look in the Centennial area, (possibly north Summerlin?) to be close to his job.

We'll probably rent for our first year, but want to make sure we rent in an area with the best possible elementary schools for our kids. We have a 6 year old academically gifted boy and an almost 5 year old boy. The schools where we are in Texas are amazing, so that's a primary concern for me. Which elementary schools should we be looking at?

I don't think we'll be able to afford private schools, although homeschooling isn't out of the question. Nonetheless, I'd like to try to get into the best possible public school and homeschool only if it's a necessity.

As far as community, being in a safe/low crime area is also a high priority for us. Being in a family friendly area with parks/activities/etc. would be wonderful.

Our renting budget would be around $1300/month, and I'd love to find a place with a pool or community pool. How important for safety is a gated community? What are the areas (for safety reasons) I should be avoiding?

Feel free to give me all your thoughts/advice about this particular area and LV in general, I know next to nothing and am trying to get all the information I can! Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas