Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2015, 11:17 PM

12 posts, read 16,954 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am moving from texas to las vegas in july.
Texas has some really good schools. from what ive found thus far, las vegas generally does not.
That scares me because I am coming with 2 children who will be in first and second grade.
So here ae my two questions.

1. How much of an impact do would you say the quality of a childs education has on their life?? (do you have any web links pointing to a good discussion on this topic??)

2. How bad are LV's schools? we will be in north las vegas, 89031, is their any decent schools there??? what about magnet schools??

(BONUS QUESTION) what are the factors that make LV schools so bad?? low quality teachers? ghetto schools, too many kids?? what is it??

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 02:44 AM

625 posts, read 798,485 times
Depends on how North of 89031 youre talking about when speaking of North Las Vegas. NLV is generally frowned upon.

5th largest district in the country. There are good schools in LV, but the really bad always gets talked about. Its tough because there are good and bad teachers at bad and good schools. You just have to do your research on the schools youre zoned for.

For impact, if parents are heavily involved, I'd say the student usually comes out okay even if the teacher is incompetent. That's not an excuse, just my opinion based on what I've seen.

Too many kids, not enough funding. And yeah, not enough quality teachers.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:27 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,422,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richbiz84 View Post
Texas has some really good schools. from what ive found thus far, las vegas generally does not.
That scares me because I am coming with 2 children who will be in first and second grade.

1. How much of an impact do would you say the quality of a childs education has on their life?? (do you have any web links pointing to a good discussion on this topic??)

2. How bad are LV's schools? we will be in north las vegas, 89031, is their any decent schools there??? what about magnet schools??

(BONUS QUESTION) what are the factors that make LV schools so bad?? low quality teachers? ghetto schools, too many kids?? what is it??

Thanks!!!
If you have a good job and are generally happy in life, I would think that you are living proof that a poor education can turn out productive and happy people.

If you are flipping burgers or washing cars and generally hate your life, than I suppose you are living proof that a quality education is a considerable factor in a child's life.

Irregardless, i houghp you fined someone two help yor kids with they're grammar and English home work n dont try too doo it yerself.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:07 AM

848 posts, read 649,523 times
Quote:

Thanks!!!
1. I believe the quality of a child's education will have a very significant impact on his or her life. I also do not define quality based on how much time a child spends in the classroom or how much content a child is forced to learn. I define quality as providing an exceptional environment in which a child has the ability to learn the skills necessary to become a lifelong learner, to become an individual who can engage with others politely and intelligently, and to have the freedom to pursue those fields of study which he or she truly finds interesting. I would strongly encourage you to read the following books which had a profound impact on how I view the education of my children: Dumbing Us Down: The Hidden Curriculum of Compulsory Schooling by John Taylor Gatto and Free to Learn: Why Unleashing the Instinct to Play Will Make Children Happier, More Self-Reliant, and Better Students for Life by Peter Gray. Both books are available on amazon.com and elsewhere.

2. While I cannot speak to the public schools, I can tell you that we sent our children to a highly regarded private Montessori school, and I was not impressed. Despite the low student-to-teacher ratio (i.e., less than 10 students to 1 teacher), I still found that I was teaching math again in the evenings to one of my children, and my wife was working with another child on language art skills. My wife and I decided to pull our kids out of school, and we have been home educating them for the last few years. We cover reading, writing, and arithmetic with both of our children in about a couple of hours each day, and we have a significant amount of time left in the rest of the day to pursue other activities without feeling like we are always short on time. Nevada is a great state for home educators, and the only requirement is to send a letter to your local district once your child turns seven indicating that you will be home educating your child and provide an outline showing what you will be covering as you home educate your child. There are no other requirements such as testing or reviews by professionals required by the state.

3. My opinion on your bonus question is based on talks I have had with home educators who have pulled their kids out of the public schools here as well as other parents we know whose kids are still in a CCSD school. The most common complaints I have heard pertain to social aspects (e.g., bullying and disruptive behavior by other students), not enough advanced work for gifted students, and class size.

Old 06-22-2015, 03:54 PM

119 posts, read 147,623 times
Id say for every 100 kids that go to a poor school, about 30 will come out with productive lives. Productive meaning professional level jobs, educated, happy gainful lives.

The other 70 will probably end up on welfare, flipping burgers, jail, gangs, or heavy drug users.

This is based off of my 8th grade graduating class!

Old 06-24-2015, 11:56 AM

848 posts, read 649,523 times
Nevada begins developing program to pay for private school - Las Vegas Sun News

Old 06-24-2015, 12:18 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,826,467 times
Quote:

Thanks!!!
Simply send your kids to a school in the top 50. They are fine. The next 50 are probably survivable. Beyond that don't.

NLV has some reasonable schools to the north or head further west into Centennial Hills.

Old 07-01-2015, 05:08 PM

11 posts, read 38,829 times
There are some great charter schools in that area as well. Somerset is supposed to be good, some great private schools ( do your homework). Parental involvement is a must, no matter where they go. The homeschool community is very active, as the previous poster mentioned. There is an online charter school that will assist you in homeschooling as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas