Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 12:30 PM

472 posts, read 378,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityflower View Post
you sound like one of those people who don't have kids, and the points of these issues go over your head. Putting all the blame on parents shows that you are either one of those privileged parents I mentioned in my original post, or childfree ones.

My wife and I raised 4 kids in a mediocre school system. They all graduated in the top 10%. We sat with each kid during homeworks until not only they were done, but understood. We never missed an opportunity for parent-teacher conference where we explained what we expected from our child's teacher, we sat with the vice principal when we weren't satisfied with some results, we nurtured and spent great amounts of time, our dinner table was and continues to be a place where all family members (who still live at home) are required to be at and we talk and ask explicit questions of things going on in our kids lives. They are all upstanding members of society, in full time jobs, morally straight and values driven.

It was hard work and it's paid off. We would have done the same in the best schools or the worst schools, because teaches, admins, schools in general will never care about your kids education as much as a parent. So don't be assuming I don't have kids. My kids have been in public schools the entire time and that covers 22 years total for all 4 kids. All the blame lies squarely on the parents, and to shift that blame to someone else is the easy cop out, but if you are shifting the blame you are looking for that cop out anyway.

You don't know the first thing about me. I wasn't insulting you personally( I should have said moronic not moron, sorry), I was rebuking your statement "I agree parent involvement plays a part, but that's an outside factor that cant be controlled." which is hogwash. Parents an outside factor that can't be controlled?!?!?!? Read that again and tell me you mean it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 12:41 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,680,050 times
I totally agree with everything you wrote and like to add:

There is material learning from school, and learning from parental guidance is huge impact on attitude and developing self confidence.

In a poor school system, parental guidance can help kids navigate social circumstances and help them resolve peer issues to not go off path.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickydim View Post
My wife and I raised 4 kids in a mediocre school system. They all graduated in the top 10%. We sat with each kid during homeworks until not only they were done, but understood. We never missed an opportunity for parent-teacher conference where we explained what we expected from our child's teacher, we sat with the vice principal when we weren't satisfied with some results, we nurtured and spent great amounts of time, our dinner table was and continues to be a place where all family members (who still live at home) are required to be at and we talk and ask explicit questions of things going on in our kids lives. They are all upstanding members of society, in full time jobs, morally straight and values driven.

It was hard work and it's paid off. We would have done the same in the best schools or the worst schools, because teaches, admins, schools in general will never care about your kids education as much as a parent. So don't be assuming I don't have kids. My kids have been in public schools the entire time and that covers 22 years total for all 4 kids. All the blame lies squarely on the parents, and to shift that blame to someone else is the easy cop out, but if you are shifting the blame you are looking for that cop out anyway.

You don't know the first thing about me. I wasn't insulting you personally( I should have said moronic not moron, sorry), I was rebuking your statement "I agree parent involvement plays a part, but that's an outside factor that cant be controlled." which is hogwash. Parents an outside factor that can't be controlled?!?!?!? Read that again and tell me you mean it.

Old 07-31-2015, 12:43 PM

69 posts, read 115,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickydim View Post

and outside factor meaning you cannot and will not change someone's parenting skills. If the school district feels it is ok to not care because parents don't, how does that help? They need new careers then. Where I come from outside factors don't effect the school systems 100%, but partially. Because offering things like free in-school childcare for teen moms during schools hours, a mayor that works hard to improve the city (even though some have not) and better funding, you have students who are improving despite their home life. More kids are graduating now then when I was in school. My old high school specifically, improved once we got better principals, staff, administrators, ect. The students home life really had no effect on the schools improvement as a whole.

Old 07-31-2015, 12:47 PM

once again... Vegas residents defend this town without acknowledging the bigger picture....

Old 07-31-2015, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winter-rabbit View Post
I totally agree with everything you wrote and like to add:

There is material learning from school, and learning from parental guidance is huge impact on attitude and developing self confidence.

In a poor school system, parental guidance can help kids navigate social circumstances and help them resolve peer issues to not go off path.
Do you have kids? just asking..
I have yet to meet anyone from beyond the keyboard who actually defends the school system here. Besides the ones who don't have children at all or in public school so they could care less about anything beyond their privileged lifestyle.

Old 07-31-2015, 01:07 PM

I have 3 kids.

One in 4th grade. One in kindergarten. One in daycare.

Guess what also? I moved from Massachusetts, the highest rated education state.

I'm not terribly concern about the state of CCSD.

Quote:
I have yet to meet anyone from beyond the keyboard who actually defends the school system here. Besides the ones who don't have children at all or in public school so they could care less about anything beyond their privileged lifestyle.

Old 07-31-2015, 01:08 PM

My kids current school has been nothing short of great. Teachers are very involved. The school communicates to parents very often to get involved.

Old 07-31-2015, 01:19 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,786,973 times
Quote:
*couldn't care less..

This is the 3rd or 4th time you've mentioned "privileged lifestyle". Is that just jealousy on your part that you haven't been as successful as others? Many of us work hard to achieve things in life so that we live comfortably. I would hardly use that term in a derogatory manner as you seem to be.

While I have older children, not in CCSD, I can acknowledge that there is work to be done in the system. But I'm not sure how a "privileged lifestyle", as you put it, is germane to the conversation.

Old 07-31-2015, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
*couldn't care less..

This is the 3rd or 4th time you've mentioned "privileged lifestyle". Is that just jealousy on your part that you haven't been as successful as others? Many of us work hard to achieve things in life so that we live comfortably. I would hardly use that term in a derogatory manner as you seem to be.

While I have older children, not in CCSD, I can acknowledge that there is work to be done in the system. But I'm not sure how a "privileged lifestyle", as you put it, is germane to the conversation.
Privileged meaning you don't directly understand how certain issues effect others. If someone does not see or care that CCSD needs improvement because their kids go to private schools, that pretty much sums it up.

Old 07-31-2015, 01:41 PM

If more parents in the bad schools are involved, then the bad schools will improve.

I grew up in a poor family living in the housing projects with a lot of misfit kids. I used to get beat up on the way to school. My parents guided me. We also befriended the bullies and nothing happened ever after. My father worked all day at the restaurant, and my mom also took up a full time job. We went to school on our own as soon as we are up to age. We came home and did homework by ourselves. This attitude and responsibility are taught by my parents.

The problem now I see is parental laziness. In the poorer neighborhoods, I see non-working moms doing nothing to help their kids in general. They don't teach respect and playing well with others.

I live in the moment. I'm not waiting for the system to improve. I play with the cards that are dealt. You strategize with your kids to navigate successfully through the system. Don't depend on the system. Parental learning and guidance matters.

Even good school systems doesn't make everyone a success, because some well-off parents will throw money out for solutions rather than personal involvement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas