Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2015, 02:37 PM

687 posts, read 1,952,614 times

Advertisements

I stopped in at the government center today on 500 S. Grand Central Pkwy to apply for a Veteran's exemption on house and/or auto taxes. I was pleasantly surprised at the efficiency and professionalism demonstrated. First positive note was when I saw that the employee parking is farthest from the building and that the "customer" parking was up close. I was in and out in 10 minutes. The clerk was very helpful and although I was applying for a property exemption, she explained I could save more money by applying the exemption to my vehicle registration. So bottom line was you save around $128 on the car and $60 - $80 on a house. These amounts change yearly but are in this ballpark. She also let me know that if I don't use the total amount on the car, I can have the residual applied to the house tax. Not a lot of money, but definitely worth my time to make a stop.

In contrast, I had to go to the Cook County Illinois government office a few months back to pick up some documents. Parking was two blocks away. All the employees park up close there. Two metal detector lines that took another 15 minutes to pass through - had to take off my belt and divest all metal. Upon reaching the clerks office and finding the number machine broken, had to organize those waiting myself by handing out sticky notes. When the clerk called "next" we sent the lowest number up to the counter. I was in and out of there in about 90 minutes.

So hat tip to Clark County for getting this right.

Cheers,
Croce
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 03:26 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,050,764 times
Your experience was similar to mine.

Old 09-04-2015, 03:36 PM

638 posts, read 599,661 times
went there years ago for something, found them very helpful. In fact I find them quite a helpful bunch in general in the assessor's office. Once I mailed my property tax checks in and as I sent them I remembered I'd forgotten to sign them. They said that shouldnt be a problem (!!) and gave me an extension.

I do alway have a laugh at that building that looks like its melting around the corner, I think its some kind of brain clinic, I'm sure its just want some guy thats going crazy needs, some building that looks like its folding in on you!

Old 09-04-2015, 05:28 PM

526 posts, read 837,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croce View Post
I stopped in at the government center today on 500 S. Grand Central Pkwy to apply for a Veteran's exemption on house and/or auto taxes. I was pleasantly surprised at the efficiency and professionalism demonstrated.
As I told you, I had same experience when I applied 2 years ago.. Not like back east incompetents.

Old 09-04-2015, 07:39 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,826,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjambalaya View Post
I do alway have a laugh at that building that looks like its melting around the corner, I think its some kind of brain clinic, I'm sure its just want some guy thats going crazy needs, some building that looks like its folding in on you!
There are some beautiful buildings right there in that area. The County building and the Brain Institute are architectural gems.

(not my photos)

Clark County Building

The Brain Institute

Bill

Old 09-05-2015, 02:02 AM

2,719 posts, read 3,509,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjambalaya View Post
went there years ago for something, found them very helpful. In fact I find them quite a helpful bunch in general in the assessor's office. Once I mailed my property tax checks in and as I sent them I remembered I'd forgotten to sign them. They said that shouldnt be a problem (!!) and gave me an extension.

Well, the building inspiration is the human brain.

Old 09-05-2015, 09:40 AM

550 posts, read 641,339 times
The Gov't Center also has an Amphitheater which does tons of events and a Jazz in the Park series...I've never been but people that I know, who have gone really find it to be a treasure.

Jazz In The Park Series

And this is what Yelp thinks of the Amphitheater (with pics)

Photos for Clark County Amphitheater | Yelp

Old 09-05-2015, 01:03 PM

14,228 posts, read 30,144,078 times
I agree. I don't hate going to that building at all. And it's always clean too!

The clerk is right about getting more off the vehicle registration than your property taxes. And if you need to, you can always switch down the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas