Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 01:25 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,153,546 times

Advertisements

Any can't miss spots I see there are 2 routes.
One goes through yosemite but is longer.
I am guessing it would be more scenic?

Thinking may be best to wait for spring/early summer...

Input?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 02:41 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,788,007 times
I'm planning a drive up, myself. I plan on stopping at the Goldfield Hotel and the clown motel/graveyard. Not sure what else yet.

Old 11-09-2015, 02:57 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,031,788 times
Check the weather conditions if you are going to go up into the Sierras.

Old 11-09-2015, 03:03 PM

indeed!

Old 11-09-2015, 03:39 PM

I know its obvious, but some people don't realize the roads can close between September and May.

Old 11-09-2015, 07:35 PM

687 posts, read 1,945,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Check the weather conditions if you are going to go up into the Sierras.
Concur. I would wait until late spring. We've been stuck up there a couple times. Once in Lake Tahoe when we couldn't get back through Reno and another time when the 95 was closed due to high winds.

Old 11-09-2015, 08:19 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,362,678 times
Uhhh, the way to Reno is no where near Yosemite, even going up 395. You can get over to Yosemite from U.S. 395, at Lee Vining, but I think that road is probably closed now for the winter.

Take U.S. 95 north. The drive to Reno can be pretty boring, or it can get a bit exciting just north of Tonopah, where I always hit snow in winter. Mostly it's miles and miles of miles and miles. But you can do some (very weird) sight seeing in Gold Field, and Tonopah. If you have time, and most people headed for Reno don't usually have time since it's such a long drive, but you can take a side trip outside of Beatty to Rhyolite, NV Ghost Town, or Belmont Ghost Town from out of Tonopah. Ordinarily, you could take a side trip to Scotty's Castle in Death Valley, but the rain washed out the road. Hawthorn, NV, called Firecracker City, is home to the Navy Ammo dump, which you will see as you pass through, and Fallon, NV is home to the Navy's Top Gun school ...yes, it is a long way from the ocean.

When you get to Reno check on the road conditions before heading up to Lake Tahoe. But Lake Tahoe is one of the most beautiful places on earth, especially in winter. Be sure to take your skis, or at least rent an inner tube for snow tubing. There are something like 19 ski resorts around the Lake Tahoe area. You can take the aerial tram up to the top at Heavenly Valley, or at least you used to be able too, whether your are skiing or not.

Truckee, CA, is a very nice little town on I-80, and they have great restaurants and shopping there. When we go, we usually head over Donner Pass and down the mountain to Nevada City, Calif. They have all kinds of events going on in that little town, and one of the best is Victorian Christmas. Also at Truckee is a great Donner Party Museum on the shore of Donner Lake. Just be careful what you eat...it could be Bill or Jane.

Old 11-09-2015, 08:27 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,362,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croce View Post
Concur. I would wait until late spring. We've been stuck up there a couple times. Once in Lake Tahoe when we couldn't get back through Reno and another time when the 95 was closed due to high winds.
I've been stuck a few times myself and loved every minute of it. Did not enjoy taking three hours to get to Truckee one year following a blizzard the night before that turned us back to spend a noisy night in a Reno Hotel. The train, at least it did, went right through downtown, and late at night there must have been 20 trains passing through, all blowing their horns as they crossed Virginia St. I lived in Reno for 2 years. It was fun. I've seen snow on the 4th of July, so I wouldn't worry about it. I bet we've been back there more in winter than in summer for skiing.

Old 11-09-2015, 10:08 PM

We are going sometime after Feb ..cuz its the Fla keys end of Jan ..so thinking spring trip.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Las+...6329!5i1?hl=en

is this not accurate ?

Old 11-09-2015, 10:31 PM

It is, but it takes about 2 hours to get to Yosemite Village from Lee Vining (reference: Google Maps).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas