Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 10:09 AM

416 posts, read 1,715,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by corruption View Post
Okay, thanks for the input. What I want to know is are these areas that bad, that if you walk past someone sitting on a stoop or hanging out on the corner that they're that bad that they'll just walk up to you and bust you in the head?
That seriously made me start cracking up. There is nowhere in the world like that. Why the hell would someone sit on a stoop just waiting for people to walk by so they can bust them in the head? It would have to be someone who just escaped from a mental institution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 10:26 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,153,394 times
beside.....las vegas doesnt have stoops they have to hang in the garage

Old 02-01-2008, 10:28 AM

655 posts, read 2,204,971 times
Jokes aside....anyone here have any first hand knowledge of the place in question?

I notice people list cross streets....but you have to realize that those streets don't mean much to an out of towner. How about suggesting some buildings in the price range she gave.

Old 02-01-2008, 10:57 AM

818 posts, read 3,701,503 times
First hand knowledge should be taken with a grain of salt, since most of these complexes change management annually. In fact, many are owned by out of state investment companies whose top priority is to spend as little money as possible on the property. Slumlords.

Metro has a crime tracking feature on their website that will give you a good indicator of where assaults, drug arrests, and burglaries are occurring.

CrimeView Community Incident Map

I haven't spent much time in Detroit, but from my little experience, the worst areas in Las Vegas are like Mayberry compared to what you see there.

I don't think the assumptions on what are the worst areas in Las Vegas are made from racial profiling. You will find all colors of scumbags here, as well as hard working people with families and everything in between.

The only true assessment that can be made is first hand. I recommend renting a motel or hotel for one week and touring these neighborhoods so that you know exactly what you are getting yourself into. There's really no reason to rent an apartment sight unseen.

Old 02-01-2008, 03:16 PM

155 posts, read 559,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chest Rockwell View Post
First hand knowledge should be taken with a grain of salt, since most of these complexes change management annually. In fact, many are owned by out of state investment companies whose top priority is to spend as little money as possible on the property. Slumlords.

Metro has a crime tracking feature on their website that will give you a good indicator of where assaults, drug arrests, and burglaries are occurring.

CrimeView Community Incident Map

I haven't spent much time in Detroit, but from my little experience, the worst areas in Las Vegas are like Mayberry compared to what you see there.

I don't think the assumptions on what are the worst areas in Las Vegas are made from racial profiling. You will find all colors of scumbags here, as well as hard working people with families and everything in between.

The only true assessment that can be made is first hand. I recommend renting a motel or hotel for one week and touring these neighborhoods so that you know exactly what you are getting yourself into. There's really no reason to rent an apartment sight unseen.
Lol, I've lived in Detroit for 28 years and have yet to "see" a crime, so if that's any indicator then Vegas is like a utopia. And unfortunately, we are not rich, we don't have money to just visit and take a look around first.

Old 02-01-2008, 04:33 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,343,927 times
If you can't afford a brief stay (1 week or so) to survey the city and get a better feel for what it's like, moving there is probably not a good idea at this stage. I forget the general guidelines, but people recommend having enough cash to survive assuming no employment for a certain number of months. A weeklong trip for two with inexpensive lodging certainly does not require being rich. I'd be VERY reluctant to move anywhere without seeing the place first. It seems like your employment will not be lined up in advance, either. Please don't make the mistake of moving to Vegas prematurely without having the funds and employment secured. If you thing 'things will work out' after you arrive (without the safeguards in place), you're likely to be disappointed. You can search through old threads about moving to Vegas to see more guidelines about the savings one should have, finding employment, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas