Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 02:16 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,362,678 times

Advertisements

Pretty sure this is who my daughter used recently and they are happy with the job. She's been here all her life and knows a lot of these people. New Page 1 (http://www.desertspringspools.com/frame-vrtour.htm - broken link)

My experience with the pools I've had is that they are a hole in the ground that you pour money and time into. Too much work for very little benefit unless you really enjoy swimming everyday. Besides, a little girl drowned in one of the pools we had owned after we had sold the house, and too many kids in Las Vegas drown every year in backyard pools. I've even heard several times of people being electrocuted by faulty pool lights, so I could never turn them on while anyone was in the pool. My wife and I, and a friend who was visiting, nearly were electrocuted in a faulty spa. If one of us had gotten in it and then turned it on they'd be dead. We also discovered that neighborhood kids were sneaking in our backyard and swimming when we were away. Of course, with the screwed up "justice" system we have, if one had gotten hurt or drowned, we'd have been liable.

I hate to be doom and gloom, but I just don't trust them, and I hate to maintain them. IMO it's always something, and it takes away from any fun they might have given me. But, if somebody else has a pool, I might come over and use it from time to time...probably not though. I'm too sexy in my Speedos for y'all.

On another note, if water is an issue, why do they still issue permits to build more pools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 07:07 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,714,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Pretty sure this is who my daughter used recently and they are happy with the job. She's been here all her life and knows a lot of these people. New Page 1 (http://www.desertspringspools.com/frame-vrtour.htm - broken link)

My experience with the pools I've had is that they are a hole in the ground that you pour money and time into. Too much work for very little benefit unless you really enjoy swimming everyday. Besides, a little girl drowned in one of the pools we had owned after we had sold the house, and too many kids in Las Vegas drown every year in backyard pools. I've even heard several times of people being electrocuted by faulty pool lights, so I could never turn them on while anyone was in the pool. My wife and I, and a friend who was visiting, nearly were electrocuted in a faulty spa. If one of us had gotten in it and then turned it on they'd be dead. We also discovered that neighborhood kids were sneaking in our backyard and swimming when we were away. Of course, with the screwed up "justice" system we have, if one had gotten hurt or drowned, we'd have been liable.

I hate to be doom and gloom, but I just don't trust them, and I hate to maintain them. IMO it's always something, and it takes away from any fun they might have given me. But, if somebody else has a pool, I might come over and use it from time to time...probably not though. I'm too sexy in my Speedos for y'all.

On another note, if water is an issue, why do they still issue permits to build more pools?
If you have a GFCI installed, it should be fine. Some of the older pools did not use a GFCI so that might be the case. A lot of newer pool lights use fiber optics or LED technology so the actual light is out of the pool. For the amount of people that use pools, there are very few deaths and a lot of times when a child drowns is because they do not have a safety fence installed. But if you have children.. a safety fence is a must!

Pools actually do not use too much water, especially if you have a cover. Watering your lawn wastes more water over a year's time than your average swimming pool.

Old 04-05-2009, 12:36 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,362,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA702 View Post
If you have a GFCI installed, it should be fine. Some of the older pools did not use a GFCI so that might be the case. A lot of newer pool lights use fiber optics or LED technology so the actual light is out of the pool. For the amount of people that use pools, there are very few deaths and a lot of times when a child drowns is because they do not have a safety fence installed. But if you have children.. a safety fence is a must!

Pools actually do not use too much water, especially if you have a cover. Watering your lawn wastes more water over a year's time than your average swimming pool.
I agree that LEDs might be safer, but what about the older pools already in use?

And, don't you have to fill the pool to begin with? Have you ever dealt with a pool cover in one of our frequent wind storms? I have. No fun. Besides all they do is create a mosquito haven.

IMO the only good pool is an indoor pool...or one somebody else takes care of...but even an indoor pool is going to give you mold problems.

Old 04-05-2009, 04:38 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,714,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
I agree that LEDs might be safer, but what about the older pools already in use?

And, don't you have to fill the pool to begin with? Have you ever dealt with a pool cover in one of our frequent wind storms? I have. No fun. Besides all they do is create a mosquito haven.

IMO the only good pool is an indoor pool...or one somebody else takes care of...but even an indoor pool is going to give you mold problems.
You can retrofit older pool lights with newer style LED or Fiber optics and a new GFCI. Or just turn the breaker off to the old light and call it a day. There are also solar floaters that light up the pool if you do not trust the current lights.

I take care of a few pools and only 1 is indoor. Pool covers are a pain, but if you have the right one, the wind will not take it away. Yes you have to fill the pool, but once its full, you do not loose that much water. Maybe have to drain every 3-4 years if that (this water is drained to the sewer and goes back to the system via water treatment plant). If the pool has proper chemicals and water balance, there will be no mosquitos (only green pool without chemicals will have them).

An indoor pool with proper air circulation will not give you a problem with mold.

Last edited by AA702; 04-05-2009 at 05:42 PM..

Old 04-05-2009, 08:13 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,590,272 times
Default Pool Company

The previous owner to our home used Designers Pool Inc. This pool is a pebble tec pool with waterfalls and spa. We are very happy with it.

Don't scrimp on the pool skid equipment either. Be sure to have a remote for the waterfall and lights you won't regret it. Also get a good pool skimmer (my favorite is Hayward Navigator) and an inline leaf catcher. I would recommend a gas heater too although some might disagree with me. I had a solar roof panel installed by the previous owner but the wind blew it off causing significant damage to the roof.
Although gas isn't cheap I would liken the cost to going out to dinner vs heating your pool for the night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas